Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Frontend to mpg123

Frontend to mpg123 (Page 4)
yukon
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2002, 08:33 PM

well, it used to work in older OS versions, but mpegtoaster seems to have died.

BTW, isn't mpg123 gpl? if it is, then mpegtoaster infringes on that.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

IamBob
Senior User
Apr 14, 2002, 11:00 AM

taken from mpg123's COPYING file:
Maybe I change the policy to GPL in the future ...
But at the moment this is the policy: [ .... ]
It goes on, including this part:
[ .... ] You may distribute your own seperate patches together with this software
package or a modified package if you always include a pointer
where to get the original unmodified package. In this case
you must inform the author about the modfied package.
The software may not be sold for profit or as "hidden" part of
another software, but it may be included with collections
of other free software, such as CD-ROM images of FTP servers and
similar, provided that this software is not a significant part
of that collection. [ .... ]
Hmm...

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2002, 09:19 PM

Hey, anyone still workin' on Mu or TinyTunes? Both are great... and I'd love to see more work done
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

fitter
Senior User
Apr 15, 2002, 11:27 PM

Yeah, I am still working on Mu, but there probably won't be any updates for a little bit. I've been coding several projects in preparation for a WWDC presentation, which I may or may not be attending. When the next update to Mu arrives, it should be a fairly significant one. We'll see how much I'm able to get done. Glad to hear you've retained your interest in it.

IamBob
Senior User
Apr 16, 2002, 01:35 PM

TinyTunes isn't dead..

I've been writing a framework that wraps mpegToasterKit. This should help move a bunch of code I shouldn't have to deal with outside the main project. Once this part is done it should pretty much just stay done.

I was going to give a quick run-down of what my framework does and how it works but I don't think anyone but fitter would really be interested or care.

Anyway, I'm testing the framework and finishing it up. After that's done it shouldn't take very long to (re)make the player.

yukon
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2002, 09:38 PM

I was hoping mpg123 was gpl, then maybe we'd see the source for the altivec optimized version. ah well.

A feature request for Mu. Make the equilizer modifications more dramatic, with a switch that decreses the scale, allowing more precise madifications.

Oh, Mu sdoesn't know what to do with a "!" in the name of an MP3. It plays anyway, so it doesn't matter, but just thought I'd mention it in case it might matter for some.
Mu[PID] Exception raised during posting of notification. Ignored. exception: Conversion to encoding 30 failed for string "Title : NAME! ..."
oh, and everybody make sure any MP3s with ID3 tags have something in the Artist and Title fields, at least for now
[img]broken link[/img]

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2002, 09:45 PM

To both fitter and IamBob, I'm very glad to hear that you two are still workin'... This news pleases me almost as much as the release of the new Adium (version 1.6b2).

pierce1979
Apr 20, 2002, 09:39 PM

Any progress updates?

yukon
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2002, 09:52 PM

hows it going guys? the threads getting a little far back.

Oh, IamBob, when I change the name of a mp3, it is still listed in the library as the old name, making it inaccessable. Is there some way to remove the listing with out deleting or editing the prefs?

Really awesome applications, one of which is always running playing my favorite and new mp3s
[img]broken link[/img]

fitter
Senior User
Apr 21, 2002, 12:21 AM

IamBob and I have decide to join our efforts. The new player will allow the user to choose between mpg123 and the mpegToasterKit. Henceforth there will only be one player, offering the advantages of both (e.g., all mpg123's options and mpegToasterKit's optimizations).

It will be a while before this player becomes available. I'll probably push out another revision of Mu that'll be largely bug fixes, after which IamBob and I will be working on integrating his mpegToasterKit wrapper.

We'll keep you posted. We just decided to do this yesterday, so don't expect much yet.

strepidus
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2002, 01:13 AM

Thank you! I'm sure you guys will produce something truly awesome!

yukon
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2002, 04:32 AM

rockin' cool

good luck!
[img]broken link[/img]

oVeRmInD911
Senior User
Apr 21, 2002, 12:51 PM

wow!
that's a great idea! I can't wait to see...umm...Munytunes? tinymu?

Well whatever...good work people!

iSore
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2002, 04:13 PM

Great news.
"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

-- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

bmedina
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2002, 06:16 PM

This is a very cool project. I like the interface a lot, espcially for something I'm just going to leave playing in the background. Any word on how development is going? I'd really like to be able to keep my playlists in the side drawer instead of manuallly opening them at startup.

ink
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2002, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by fitter:
<STRONG>

Yeah, I've got a couple of these myself. I'm not really sure what the cause of it is. It's mpg123's problem, not mine; but it might be an OS X-specific issue. I'm using the audio_macosx.c file created by the mosx-mpg123 project at sourceforge for the versions of mpg123 included with Mu. Both 0.59r and pre0.59s exhibit this behaviour. Does anyone have a Linux/*BSD box to test against?</STRONG>
I do. If you want to fire me the MP3 in question, I'll check it out. My e-mail is ink AT inconnu.isu.edu.no.spam

[EDIT: Ahh, nevermind, you found the problem already]

[ 04-22-2002: Message edited by: ink ]

yukon
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2002, 01:12 AM

so how's it going guys?
[img]broken link[/img]

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2002, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by yukon:
<STRONG>so how's it going guys?</STRONG>
My thoughts exactly, but it's good to hear that IamBob and fitter have combined abilities and are working together.

I love using Mu, but scrolling through lists of MP3s gets old sometimes, and whenever I download an MP3, they open with iTunes, so I end up using iTunes alot... that is until I can't stand the CPU lag.

IamBob
Senior User
Apr 27, 2002, 11:07 PM

It's going kind of slow, sorry.

It's almost all my fault. I've been swamped with work.

Anyway, I have had a couple hours to look through Mu's Code. I've made some minor mods so far and I'm just about to slice-n-dice on a backup.

If that goes well I'll have something to show fitter tomorrow afternoon.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2002, 02:31 AM

Originally posted by IamBob:
<STRONG>It's going kind of slow, sorry.

It's almost all my fault. I've been swamped with work.

Anyway, I have had a couple hours to look through Mu's Code. I've made some minor mods so far and I'm just about to slice-n-dice on a backup.

If that goes well I'll have something to show fitter tomorrow afternoon.</STRONG>
No hurries on development, I can wait a few weeks. hehe. I just keep bumpin' the forum with hopes that something new has turned up

IamBob
Senior User
Apr 29, 2002, 02:26 PM

Bump!

New stuff to report...

I got TinyTunes framework into Mu. It's not fully functional yet but initial support is there. I'm working on squashing the remaining bugs I added by wedging in the framework -- shouldn't take long. I sent fitter a build just the other day that added DnD but I haven't had time to fully test that.

Mu is moving right along. Stay tuned!

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by IamBob:
<STRONG>Bump!

New stuff to report...

I got TinyTunes framework into Mu. It's not fully functional yet but initial support is there. I'm working on squashing the remaining bugs I added by wedging in the framework -- shouldn't take long. I sent fitter a build just the other day that added DnD but I haven't had time to fully test that.

Mu is moving right along. Stay tuned! </STRONG>
Good to hear, dude. Do you have any plans for an interface that is conscious of ID3 artist tags? Scrolling through a list of several hundred or even thousand MP3s can get tiring.

If not, that's fine. I can make several playlists I suppose. Also, great to hear about drag and drop. That'll make Mu easier to use if the user has a constantly growing MP3 library.

Thilo Ettelt
Senior User
Apr 30, 2002, 07:34 AM

Hi! I've written a completely new frontend for mpg123. It's an early alpha version, but feel free to download it here: &lt;http://info.itoast.de/software/MP3%20Toaster.app.sit&gt;

Cheers, Thilo

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2002, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by Thilo Ettelt:
<STRONG>Hi! I've written a completely new frontend for mpg123. It's an early alpha version, but feel free to download it here: &lt;http://info.itoast.de/software/MP3%20Toaster.app.sit&gt;

Cheers, Thilo</STRONG>
not that it is a bad thing, but why?

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2002, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by Sharky K.:
<STRONG>

not that it is a bad thing, but why?</STRONG>
I say the more options the better. Bravo!

yukon
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2002, 07:46 PM

I agree. Though collaborating with IamBob and fitter might be wiser.

just a thinly veiled bump
[img]broken link[/img]

Thilo Ettelt
Senior User
May 1, 2002, 06:03 PM

you know why I'm doing this? because my theme support is almost finished. though not in the app uploaded but here on my computer. i've been working on this app since friday evening and had more progress than mu. what's still missing is drag and drop and tag support...

cheers, thilo

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
May 1, 2002, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by Thilo Ettelt:
<STRONG>you know why I'm doing this? because my theme support is almost finished. though not in the app uploaded but here on my computer. i've been working on this app since friday evening and had more progress than mu. what's still missing is drag and drop and tag support...

cheers, thilo</STRONG>
that is cool but "skinable" is not really high in my request list. I don't know about others though...

fitter
Senior User
May 2, 2002, 12:14 AM

Mu update, from my end.

We're close to releasing a beta of the next version. It will include some interface enhancements, better previous track support, drag and drop (almost finished); it fixes a crash causing bug (which appeared when a track had ID3 info but nothing in the artist or title fields; and likely preliminary support for IamBob's wrapper around the mpegToasterKit. I'm hoping to have library support, too, but it might not make it for a beta. All told, some significant progress.

Archangel
Mac Elite
May 2, 2002, 04:09 AM

I didn't want to read all 4 pages of this thread to see if this question was answered:

Any possibility of iPod support?

Hornet
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2002, 06:44 AM

Sounds fantastic fitter!

Sharky, it would be great if you could help em with your UI? I'd love to see Sharky's UI in your app guys. I'm sure he can give ya'll a hand with whatever Interface builder stuff ur after, he seems into that
Also some cool icons

This could really be something cool. Skins? no thanks... not needed. Burning? I do it rare enough (bi-weekly) that its OK to do in itunes. But basic MP3 playback would be awesome, at half the CPU usage!

This is gunna be really interesting guys, wish you the best of luck

fitter
Senior User
May 2, 2002, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by Hornet:
<STRONG>Sounds fantastic fitter!

Sharky, it would be great if you could help em with your UI? I'd love to see Sharky's UI in your app guys. I'm sure he can give ya'll a hand with whatever Interface builder stuff ur after, he seems into that
Also some cool icons
</STRONG>
Thanks for the support. Sharky already designed the icon, the mp3 icon, and the toolbar images in Mu. There's a release already available. Do a search for mpg123 on Versiontracker. That version is quite limited in comparison to what IamBob and I have now.

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
May 2, 2002, 10:22 AM

btw, fitter. do you think Mu will get the feature that Mu will look at the hard disk (music directory) instead of in a playlist.

fitter
Senior User
May 2, 2002, 10:50 AM

I think this is definitely a feature that could be added. It won't be in the next version, but I could probably get it working without too much trouble. I'll keep you posted. I'd also like to add a search field option for the toolbar.

There will be library support in the next version. My intention is to have it created the first time you run the program, with the ability to add songs to it a la iTunes. Right now, thanks to the incorporation of IamBob's code, you can drag and drop songs to add them to playlists.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2002, 12:10 PM

Small feature request: full unicode support. A lot of my MP3s are Russian, and I have the labeled in Cyrillic. It's really annoying getting gibberish when I try to view them in an MP3 player. At the moment I can't play them at all. It may just be a problem with mpg123 though.

Jan Van Boghout
May 2, 2002, 02:24 PM

I don't know if any of you guys tried this out yet, but I have a new favorite MP3 player. A nice, simple and effective interface and a separate controller. And it has decent ID3 tag support too.

Check out UberTunz : http://www.yellowmatter.com/products.html

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2002, 04:51 PM

UberTunz has been out for a long time. It sucks - it uses QT 5 for playback. The entire point of Mu, MpegToaster, and TinyTunes was to make a front end for a good solid CL UNIX mp3 player: mpg123.

Originally posted by Jan Van Boghout:
<STRONG>I don't know if any of you guys tried this out yet, but I have a new favorite MP3 player. A nice, simple and effective interface and a separate controller. And it has decent ID3 tag support too.

Check out UberTunz : http://www.yellowmatter.com/products.html</STRONG>
Change your world and you will change your mind.

kovacs
Mac Elite
May 3, 2002, 07:30 AM

Any News guys ?

PS it would be cool if the player kept playing after you close the window... oh and a shuffle function would be very nice :-)

keep up the good work ...

fitter
Senior User
May 3, 2002, 10:10 AM

Shuffle is already an option. cmd + 2 is the keyboard shortcut. (cmd+1 is linear playback; cmd+3 is random.) You can also select these options from the "Player" menu.

Not sure about closing the window and letting the player continue. I don't see the advantage. If you want it out of the way, hide it, and control it from the dock menu.

Update:

IamBob sent me a revision yesterday that does include the option to use his mpegToasterKit wrapper within Mu. There are still a number of issues to work out (not only with the mpegToasterKit wrapper, but also what appears to be a memory leak and some threading problems) before we release a beta. It shouldn't be long, though.

kovacs
Mac Elite
May 3, 2002, 11:59 AM

Strange Mu just crashed but the music keeps playing and now I can't stop it !!

PS the playlists don't seem to work when they are stored outside the music folder.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2002, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by kovacs:
<STRONG>Strange Mu just crashed but the music keeps playing and now I can't stop it !!

PS the playlists don't seem to work when they are stored outside the music folder.</STRONG>
Just go into the terminal and run "top", look for the process mpg123, and get the PID (the number on the far left). ctrl-c out of top and type "kill &lt;PID for mpg123&gt;".

fitter
Senior User
May 3, 2002, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by kovacs:
<STRONG>Strange Mu just crashed but the music keeps playing and now I can't stop it !! </STRONG>
This happens when the song has ID3 tags, but nothing in the Artist or Title fields. It's been fixed for the new version.

<STRONG>
PS the playlists don't seem to work when they are stored outside the music folder.</STRONG>
They do, they just don't show up in the drawer. You have to open them manually (File &gt; Open...) if they're not in the music folder. This will be addressed in a future version.

dont.wanna.tell
Forum Regular
May 5, 2002, 06:38 PM

-- bump --

Sorry to do this, but will there be an update soon?

Im anxiously awaiting it...

cu Martin

yukon
Mac Elite
May 8, 2002, 12:25 AM

absolutly clobbered by the jaguar clone threads

any news for your fans? ;-)
[img]broken link[/img]

fitter
Senior User
May 8, 2002, 12:30 PM

There will be a beta available at the end of the week. I should stress that it is a beta.

In other news, Apple's opening up the Disc Burning APIs, meaning Mu might someday be able to burn CDs. Sound good?

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
May 8, 2002, 01:16 PM

<STRONG>There will be a beta available at the end of the week. I should stress that it is a beta.

In other news, Apple's opening up the Disc Burning APIs, meaning Mu might someday be able to burn CDs. Sound good?</STRONG>
cool!!!
what will be new in the beta compared to the latest version of Mu?

fitter
Senior User
May 8, 2002, 09:48 PM

Drag and drop support (dragging songs to playlists a la iTunes), better previous track support, interface changes, the TinyTunes framework, allowing for use of the mpegToasterKit in Mu. This isn't perfect yet, but IamBob has done some nice work in this area.

I hope to have decoding of mp3s to .wav done for the final version, which will probably be labeled 0.3.5. It shouldn't be too hard, just a handful of additions. Library support should be in, too. It's a fundamental change from the way Mu handled playlist creation and management earlier, so there may be a few unanticipated glitches, but it should be OK. Volume control, such as mpg123 allows for, is coming.

Sorry this has been so long. I'm at WWDC, have given the presentation for which I was frantically coding, and should be able to devote a little more time to Mu over the next few weeks. IamBob has been doing a lot of grunt work to get the player to the point it's at now.

bmedina
Mac Elite
May 8, 2002, 11:14 PM

Well, thanks for all your hard work. I'm sure you're having a great time at WWDC. I'm highly anticipating the next release of Mu. Keep us informed!!!

Archangel
Mac Elite
May 10, 2002, 11:48 AM

<STRONG>There will be a beta available at the end of the week.</STRONG>
It's the end of the week! No pressure though. You guys got lives, and we're just grubby moochers. However, none of us have forgotten Mu and we do appreciate your work!

IamBob
Senior User
May 10, 2002, 12:44 PM

Technically, tomorrow is the end of the week.

Forum Links
Forum Rules