Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Iraq has Weapons-Grade Uranium

Iraq has Weapons-Grade Uranium
MadMacs
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2002, 11:53 AM

( Last edited by MadMacs; Oct 5, 2002 at 03:12 AM. )

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2002, 12:28 PM

How much do you need for a 1-megaton bomb?
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 28, 2002, 12:34 PM

These raaight here be a setup! They don gots no uraniums. This is juss a way to get Bush a warin!

MadMacs  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2002, 01:05 PM

( Last edited by MadMacs; Oct 5, 2002 at 03:12 AM. )

MadMacs  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2002, 01:09 PM

( Last edited by MadMacs; Oct 5, 2002 at 03:14 AM. )

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2002, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by cdhostage:
How much do you need for a 1-megaton bomb?
Too much. Fission bombs are kiloton sized. megaton bombs are fusion bombs, and require hydrogen (easily obtained), a lot of engineering, and a fission bomb (a.k.a. uranium or plutonium) to set it off.

How much more than a dozen kilotons do you need, though?

BlackGriffen

El Pre$idente
Banned
Sep 28, 2002, 03:39 PM

The Turks have a list of human rights abuses long as Allah's dick coming out of their backsides.

And I have weapons grade Urine!

El Pre$idente
Banned
Sep 28, 2002, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by MadMacs:
The bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima on August 6, 1945 was only a 12.5 kiloton bomb.

It is estimated that 200,000 people eventually died due to this bomb.

It is feared that Sadam would use such a weapon against Isreal.
That would kill a lot of Palestinians too. So I don't buy the pro-war lobby argument. Palestinians live on both sides of Israel and work in Israel. They don't want radiation killing them too.

How's Blair and Bush's 'depleted uranium shells dont harm anyone' argument going BTW?

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2002, 04:07 PM

So you need hydrogen to make a megaton bomb. Riiiight. I imagine a large enough uranium bomb, properly done, UNLIKE the Hiroshima bomb, would reach the megaton range.

The Hiroshima bomb was estimated to have released about 1/300th of its potential fission energy available. I read you this from Cecil Adams, and he is infallible. So the Hiroshima bomb, properly exceuted, should have released about 3600 kilotons of energy.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2002, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by El Pre$idente:

That would kill a lot of Palestinians too. So I don't buy the pro-war lobby argument. Palestinians live on both sides of Israel and work in Israel. They don't want radiation killing them too.

How's Blair and Bush's 'depleted uranium shells dont harm anyone' argument going BTW?
There were quite a few muslums on the airplanes and in the WTC on 9/11. They apparently don't consider this. They would gladly kill all of the Palestinians if they could wipe out Isreal. (Heck, the Palestinians are killing THEMSELVES now to get rid of Israel!) Do you really think they are worried about not killing potential suicide bombers if the end goal is achieved?

El Pre$idente
Banned
Sep 28, 2002, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by driven:

There were quite a few muslums on the airplanes and in the WTC on 9/11.
Sh-it. You're a clever guy!

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2002, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by driven:

There were quite a few muslums on the airplanes and in the WTC on 9/11. They apparently don't consider this. They would gladly kill all of the Palestinians if they could wipe out Isreal. (Heck, the Palestinians are killing THEMSELVES now to get rid of Israel!) Do you really think they are worried about not killing potential suicide bombers if the end goal is achieved?
Good point. But the extemists who commited the 9/11 acts were quite different in beliefs than Sadam:

They believed anyone who lived in the US was unworthy of life... even if you were Muslem... you can't be muslem and american according to them.

Sadam is more concerned with his own power. He couldn't give two shits about Israel. The only signifigance it holds is that the US is obligated to defend it. He personally couldn't care unless he has the possiblility of turning it into an annex of Iraq.

Sadam's political goal is power, land and money.

Palistininans just want the right to live in places other than the ghetto and have jobs/property.

Al-Queda wants to cleanse the world of all but the purest (most demented) form if "Islam" (if you can even call it that).

One should note that Sadam himself doesn't believe in Islam. He simply stages it or else the Muslem countries, the last to protect him will turn on him. Anyone close who has deflected has stated this. It's a joke to him.

Al-Queda or the Taliban are far from Islam... They are political groups who use religion as a way to get young distressed males to follow them.... Similar to how Gangs promise "brotherhood" to poor youths in american ghetto's.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 28, 2002, 06:33 PM

I disagree with your position on Sadam's goals. I don't think land and money are his big concerns. I think, being the meglomaniac that he is, his biggest concern is securing his place in history. Read his books, and you can see it very clearly. What better way to secure you infammy than be the Arab country that cleared Israel off the map? He's that type of dangerous psycho.
Nemo me impune lacesset

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2002, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
I disagree with your position on Sadam's goals. I don't think land and money are his big concerns. I think, being the meglomaniac that he is, his biggest concern is securing his place in history. Read his books, and you can see it very clearly. What better way to secure you infammy than be the Arab country that cleared Israel off the map? He's that type of dangerous psycho.
true he wants to secure his place in history, but that's through power.

Clearing Israel off the map wouldn't achieve that.

Remember he is about as Muslem as Ca$sh is religous. He couldn't care about religion.

He would like a Nazi like state where he can rule in terror (look at what Iraq is). He would like to expand it. That's why Kewait was a good place for him to start. Oil was an economic way of gaining a stronger foothold. the more Oil he owns, the more say he as in Middle Eastern policies, the more he can manipulate himself.

Just like how Hitler spent years building his army, Hitler was planning to build his economy to build his army. He was just a step behind.

Sadam just wants to to dominate and leave the world like Hitler wanted to. With a huge empire.

Why does he hate the US? We won't let him, while we are what he aspires to.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2002, 01:31 AM

Wow! What are the chances of them catching these guys right at this point in time?

I notice the canister says "Made in W. Germany" on it although CNN is saying it's from Russia (unless it's been photoshopped to frame those pesky Germans ).

I'm surprised it doesn't say "TOP SECRET: ATTENTION SADDAM HUSSEIN".

And you guys just lap it up.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 29, 2002, 02:25 AM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
Yes sir he is.

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2002, 02:40 AM

I'm as sick of these pro-war, anti-Muslim threads as the others are sick of leftist, anti-Christian threads. If you (and you know who you are!!) want the political discussion to stop, then stop yourselves. And if you want to post bait like this to laugh at whoever disagrees with it, then you need to seek help. This lounge is a place to come to discuss anything, because we are all Mac users, and I'm sure we all have a lot in common. People should be able to discuss their opinions without a pack of hungry wolves with no lives taunting them and calling them trolls.

Let me be frank. You don't know a good God-damned thing about what is going on inside Saddam Husseins head. So shut the hell up.

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Sep 29, 2002, 02:43 AM

They don't know if it's weapons grade yet, it might be naturally occuring.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 29, 2002, 02:45 AM

LOL I don't think anyone here is Pro-War.

I think war is bad, aweful, horrible!

Just like I think any violence is.

But I am not so niave to not think it's needed sometimes.

I can't actually believe any of you that has done ANY research on Saddam, thinks he is a ok guy, that is just getting picked on by the US!

I read a thread not too long ago about torture, and how anyone thinking of adding that to the US agenda should be taken out of office

Well Saddam uses torture, that is a known fact.

But hey it's ok Guy! He'll change!

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2002, 02:54 AM

I understand where you're coming from, Zimphire, but I am not pro-Saddam at all. Gotta clear that up. Also, I'm not anti-war either. I am however opposed to America going to war with Iraq right now, by themselves. I think the UN should be the leader of this initiative to remove Saddam, and that the weapons inspectors have to do their jobs.

The last thing we as a world need, is a war with Iraq that will cost many lives. Who will they replace him with? What are the plans to settle the disputes with the enemies of America? Would peace talks not be an option? These questions need to be answered. Where is Bush on those issues?

It's obvious that the oppression of that part of the world by the US and Israel is driving these people to desperate acts. There must be something wrong.... with the US and Israel. People don't kill themselves daily because they're kind of cheesed off.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 29, 2002, 02:58 AM

Originally posted by L'enfanTerrible:

It's obvious that the oppression of that part of the world by the US and Israel is driving these people to desperate acts. There must be something wrong.... with the US and Israel. People don't kill themselves daily because they're kind of cheesed off.
It's not US and Israel that has the problem, unless you mean them having to deal with the silly homocide bombers.

There is something wrong. And it's not the people from Israel or the US that has anything to do with it.

Of course IMHO

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2002, 03:05 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

It's not US and Israel that has the problem, unless you mean them having to deal with the silly homocide bombers.

There is something wrong. And it's not the people from Israel or the US that has anything to do with it.

Of course IMHO
The US and Israel have everything to do with it. This is not World War 2. America is not fighting for the liberty of the world. America is fighting for oil. Your statement shows exactly what is wrong with your beliefs. You shrug all the responsiblity and the blame onto those who are of different beliefs. And I hardly believe that you are humble in expressing your opinions.

OreoCookie
Sep 29, 2002, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by cdhostage:
So you need hydrogen to make a megaton bomb. Riiiight. I imagine a large enough uranium bomb, properly done, UNLIKE the Hiroshima bomb, would reach the megaton range.

The Hiroshima bomb was estimated to have released about 1/300th of its potential fission energy available. I read you this from Cecil Adams, and he is infallible. So the Hiroshima bomb, properly exceuted, should have released about 3600 kilotons of energy.
The potential fission energy is a theoretical maximum never to be reached.

To come close to that, you need a lot of engineering, something Iraq does not have.

All of you are assuming that by obtaining Uranium, Saddam is capable of building such a bomb or even already has built one.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 29, 2002, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by L'enfanTerrible:

The US and Israel have everything to do with it. This is not World War 2. America is not fighting for the liberty of the world. America is fighting for oil.
It has allot of things than just "oil"

Your statement shows exactly what is wrong with your beliefs. You shrug all the responsiblity and the blame onto those who are of different beliefs
I am? No, I have my reasonings as to why I think US/Israel is in the right, The my not be rational in a wolrdly sense, but they are surely not the reasons you are mentioning.

. And I hardly believe that you are humble in expressing your opinions.
How do you know what I felt?

Come on now, stop being silly.

OreoCookie
Sep 29, 2002, 03:30 AM

Of course IMHO
Israel has a different (homemade) problem, you shouldn't confuse that with the discussion about Iraq.

It has a lot to do with the US, it is a backlash of you foreign policies put forth 20 years ago. And you are still doing the same mistakes over and over.

Saddam and Bin Laden both were (originally) supported by the US as counterweights to Iran and the Soviet Union, respectively.

As long as you don't see that the policy of installing weak, but friendly governments has failed and will continue to fail, you end up repeating your mistakes and (sadly) paying the price for it.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

El Pre$idente
Banned
Sep 29, 2002, 03:36 AM

Of course IMHO
Well, I'm a Jew and could claim Israeli citizenship and of course many of my friends are dual nationals. One of my friends is a treble national - British, Iraqi and Israeli. And I'll tell you that your answer above is frankly short sighted.

The blame is on the hands of fundamentalist Jews in Israel, fundamentalist Christians in the US and fundamentalist Muslims in the middle east. Any secular with a brain knows what is going on in the fanatical brain.

The Yankee Goy Christian thinks Israel should occupy all of Palestine and Jerusalem even if it has to do so by force in order for Jesus to return. They believe that the Jews must convert to Christianity in order to be 'saved'.

The Muslims thinks Muslims have been given a mission by God to expand Islam and convert the Jews, Christians and others to the 'true faith'. Any people converted must also give their land away to Islam and any land taken back by the kufr (unbeliever) is an act of war.

The Orthodox Jews want to eliminate Muslims from Palestine completely and create a 'pure' Jewish state in order for the Messiah (not Jesus) to rule over eventually. In other words, a culturally pure theocracy.

As you can see, all three have incompatible plans for Palestine (including Israel). But the Goy Christian (I say Goy in reference to White Anglo Saxon Christians with no Judean-Palestinian roots and not Asian Christians) has cleverly manipulated Israel and Islam for most of the 20th century. They have funded Islamists and planted all manners of dictators in the middle-east, thus created enemies for Israel. They have given carte blanche to fundamentalist Israelis to expand beyond Israel's agreed borders. Why have they allowed these things?

Well, the reasons are obvious. They want the 'apocalyptic' showdown between Israel and the Arab world. Various US Administrations and the Pentagon have done these things on purpose to please the very wealthy fundamentalist lobbies in the US - no doubt. Otherwise the money wouldn't flow into the government's coffers and line the pockets of policitians.

-If they wanted peace for Israel why did they support Islamic terrorists in Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan and Pakistan durign the 70s and 80s? Why not democratic freedom fighters against the Soviet Union instead? There are tons of people to be found who would find such a war.

-Why did they allow the Ayatollah to preach his revolution and message of hate against Israel and the West from Paris resulting in the Islamic revolution? Surely they could have eliminated him in a non-obvious manner.

-Why did they support the Ba'ath Party and Saddam instead of a real democracy for Iraqis if they were fighting against the dictatorship in Iran? Does it make sense to support a dictatorship in order to fight against dictatorships?

-Why over the many years now has the US and Saudi Arabia not done more to sort out the Israel-Palestine situation? Together alone they could have done so much yet the Saudis are literally told to shut their mouths over Palestine and just keep sending the oil and living like kings.

There's a long record of the US supporting Islamic and dictator regimes in the middle east even when it was known that they would not be friendly to Israel. It makes no sense unless you come to the conclusion that arms to Israel can only be sold if enemies of Israel can be made.

That's a serious breach of human rights going on. It's like the same holocaust perpetrated by westerners in the 40s. All of it was planned. The plan to create Israel followed the quiet removal of Palestinians from Palestine by the British. That was followed by the Holocaust which the West sat and watched happen, only popping up once enough people had died. A valid excuse was created for the nation of Israel. They couldn't create Israel without the holocaust.

And since 1947 the West has played all its arms and oil games between Israel, the Arab countries, India and Pakistan. Almost all those borders we see on the map were drawn up by the League of Nations in order to support a future arms trade aka New Imperialism. They didn't care how many Muslims, Jews or Hindus would die from it. They didn't even create a state for the Kurds and the Assyrians, with their 5000 year history, simply ceased to exist because of the newly drawn borders. Carving up Africa has resulted in far worse for the oil, minerals and arms trade. What has Africa gotten out of the trade and the creation of dictators such as Idi Amin and Robert Mugabe? Or does a black man's life mean that little?

Then we go to South America where still do this day, Venezuela for example, the US backed coups are trying to topple democratic regimes in order to extract every drop of oil money. Chavez simply wanted to fund social projects but no, not good enough. Oil companies want as much money as possible and the life of a brown skinned South American trying to educate itself is no good. Time to role out more graduates from the terrorist training School of the Americas.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 29, 2002, 03:38 AM

El I guess we will all see in a couple decades.

What will you say if Israel starts erecting a temple?

El Pre$idente
Banned
Sep 29, 2002, 03:53 AM

El I guess we will all see in a couple decades.

What will you say if Israel starts erecting a temple?
Won't happen. All religious fundamentalism will die out under the pressure of the new revolutionaries currently watching this spate of lies from western politicians and their war on terrorists that the created themselves.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 29, 2002, 04:24 AM

Won't happen. All religious fundamentalism will die out under the pressure of the new revolutionaries currently watching this spate of lies from western politicians and their war on terrorists that the created themselves.
Close

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2002, 01:32 PM

Well, the reasons are obvious. They want the 'apocalyptic' showdown between Israel and the Arab world. Various US Administrations and the Pentagon have done these things on purpose to please the very wealthy fundamentalist lobbies in the US - no doubt. Otherwise the money wouldn't flow into the government's coffers and line the pockets of policitians.
Nice conspiracy theories. I'll grant that there are many Americans who are irrationally pro Israel, hell I'll even grant that there are those who have exactly the vision you say they have for Israel (never underestimate the power of human stupidity). The biggest flaw in your logic is that you treat the West, and the United States, as singular entities, at the same time. To be completely honest, most Americans probably wouldn't care about Israel, except as a tourist attraction, if it weren't all over the news all of the time. The best any single group can do is influence policy, not set it carte blanche.

As a counter example, if what you say is true, why did Jimmy Carter organize Camp David? Surely the sooner this apocolyptic showdoen occurs, the better. Oil you say? Well, it's hard to find a more Christian president than Jimmy Carter. If all Christians were really the religious zealots you paint them to be, then Carter would have said, "Oil be damned, let's get ready to rumble!"

-If they wanted peace for Israel why did they support Islamic terrorists in Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan and Pakistan durign the 70s and 80s? Why not democratic freedom fighters against the Soviet Union instead? There are tons of people to be found who would find such a war.
Do you think that maybe, just maybe, there are these things called priorities? Peace in Israel would be nice, but it won't determine a presidential election the way the economy will. Then there is also this thing that America had been obsessing over since the 1950s called the Cold War. So we've got priorities one and two down, and I doubt that Israel was even third on the list (things like welfare, race relations, abortion, the score of the football game, etc. were all far more pressing in the average American's mind than Israel, so it was procrastinated, or set back for other priorities).

-Why did they allow the Ayatollah to preach his revolution and message of hate against Israel and the West from Paris resulting in the Islamic revolution? Surely they could have eliminated him in a non-obvious manner.
Ever hear of freedom of speech? Surely this should be a sign that we're not as Machiavellian as you thought. That, or maybe they just didn't consider it important.

If the U.S. killed all the madmen who preach counter to their goals, would you be hear? Ooops (*psst* delta squad, call off the hit, he knows! )

-Why did they support the Ba'ath Party and Saddam instead of a real democracy for Iraqis if they were fighting against the dictatorship in Iran? Does it make sense to support a dictatorship in order to fight against dictatorships?
Nope. Does it make sense to pierce your body, or get tattoos? Does it make sense to smoke? Does it make sense to get all emotional over a football game? Ever heard the phrase the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing? Get it through your head: people (especially large groups of them) don't have to make sense. Consider, for instance, the fact that we were publicly supporting Saddam, and Reagan was privately funneling weapons to Iran through the Contras. Before you get off on a tirade over, "Yeah, they did it to spur war!" Realize that Iran held American hostages until Reagan took office. The arms deal was a way of preventing Jimmy Carter from saving the hostages and winning the election. The arms sales to Iraq, OTOH, weren't really good for business since all the weapons were obsolete (granted, the chemical biological weapon infrastructure was not), and was done primarily to show that Reagan was tough on America's enemies without getting us stuck in another Vietnam.

-Why over the many years now has the US and Saudi Arabia not done more to sort out the Israel-Palestine situation? Together alone they could have done so much yet the Saudis are literally told to shut their mouths over Palestine and just keep sending the oil and living like kings.
Two reasons: one, Israel was not America's top priority. Two, you wouldn't like Saudi Arabia's solution. Just consider the telethon they held to fund the families of the suicide bombers every time you start thinking that you want them to play a major role in deciding Israel's fate. Though, IIRC, they did propose a pretty good plan a few years ago, but those darn religious fanatics on both sides just wouldn't accept it. It's always come down to Jerusalem. The funny thing is that the UN foresaw that Jerusalem was too hot to handle, and originally designated it some sort of zone without a country that would be policed by the UN. That idea broke down really quick when the first war broke out.

There's a long record of the US supporting Islamic and dictator regimes in the middle east even when it was known that they would not be friendly to Israel. It makes no sense unless you come to the conclusion that arms to Israel can only be sold if enemies of Israel can be made.
Get it through your head: Israel was not priority #1. It was thought that these dictators would be friendly, or at least neutral towards the U.s. And even if Israel was a top priority, remember that people don't have to make sense! Hypocrisy is a classic example of not making sense, and it happens all the time.

That's a serious breach of human rights going on. It's like the same holocaust perpetrated by westerners in the 40s. All of it was planned.
Now you're getting in over your head in the conspiracy theory pond.

The plan to create Israel followed the quiet removal of Palestinians from Palestine by the British.
IIRC, Britain originally encouraged Jews to return to their ancestral homeland because they were anti-semitic and didn't want the Jews displaced by the Tsar's pograms to live in Britain. That idea actually got shut down when the Palestinians became violently unruly, and the effort became more than anti-semitism could justify.

That was followed by the Holocaust which the West sat and watched happen, only popping up once enough people had died.
First, even if the leaders did know about it, it was not widely, publicly known. Second, racism rears its ugly head again when things like a boatload of Jews from Germany get turned away from American shores. Third: tens of millions of people died in that war. The holocaust was horrible, but it was only a small slice of the pie. Coming in at number one, we have the Soviet Union with about 26 million casualties. Number two is China with 11 million, and number three is Germany with around 7 million. The U.S. and Great Britain combined weigh in between 600,000 and 700,000. Figures come from this web site. Remembering that Germany is part of the West, why would we sacrifice so many lives to do something that would require far fewer lives lost to do directly? After all, they could have just forcefully expropriated the Jews to Israel, and then there would have been more people to join the army for this apocolyptic war you obsess over.

A valid excuse was created for the nation of Israel. They couldn't create Israel without the holocaust.
Excuse? Excuse for whom? If the West really gave two $hits about what the rest of the world thought, would there have been as much imperialism as there was? If the West was really as unified as you paint it, and as desperate for an apocolyptic showdown as you claim, why didn't they all ban together, and forcefully move the Jews in to Palestine before or after WWI? After all, their own racism was obviously a big enough reason to export them, and why should they care about what the Arabs think? Especially if they want to start a fight.

[QUOTE]And since 1947 the West has played all its arms and oil games between Israel, the Arab countries, India and Pakistan. Almost all those borders we see on the map were drawn up by the League of Nations in order to support a future arms trade aka New Imperialism. They didn't care how many Muslims, Jews or Hindus would die from it. They didn't even create a state for the Kurds and the Assyrians, with their 5000 year history, simply ceased to exist because of the newly drawn borders. Carving up Africa has resulted in far worse for the oil, minerals and arms trade. What has Africa gotten out of the trade and the creation of dictators such as Idi Amin and Robert Mugabe? Or does a black man's life mean that little?[QUOTE]

Oh, boy. Africa was mostly carved up during the old imperialism. I honestly don't know why they ignored the Assyrians and Kurds, probably for the same reason they ignored the Vietnamese after WWI and WWII. The U.N. didn't carve up India. IIRC, the country split itself up into East Pakistan (now Bangaladesh), West Pakistan, and present India right after they achieved independence. Religious tensions have been a part of that country for a long time. Pretty much ever since the invasion of Islam. The Brits displaced the Islamic minority overlords, and when the Brits pulled out, the Muslims couldn't have seized power if they tried because they didn't have an invading army like they did the previous time to back them up.

BlackGriffen

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2002, 02:26 PM

The story has apparently been corrected - 5 ounces, not 33 pounds. Of course, maybe Turkey made off with the rest.
DIYARBAKIR, Turkey (Reuters) - A Turkish police official said on Sunday the amount of uranium recently seized by officers was around 5 ounces and did not weigh 33 lbs as initially reported.

The state-run Anatolian news agency on Saturday reported that paramilitary police in the southern province of Sanliurfa detained two men after discovering 15 kg of uranium in a lead container hidden beneath a taxi car seat.

But that amount had included the weight of the container and the radioactive material was actually around 140 grams, an official from the gendarmes force in Sanliurfa said on condition of anonymity.
[snip...]
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...key_uranium_dc

Keep the rubber side down!

El Pre$idente
Banned
Sep 29, 2002, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:

Oh, boy. Africa was mostly carved up during the old imperialism. I honestly don't know why they ignored the Assyrians and Kurds, probably for the same reason they ignored the Vietnamese after WWI and WWII. The U.N. didn't carve up India. IIRC, the country split itself up into East Pakistan (now Bangaladesh), West Pakistan, and present India right after they achieved independence. Religious tensions have been a part of that country for a long time. Pretty much ever since the invasion of Islam. The Brits displaced the Islamic minority overlords, and when the Brits pulled out, the Muslims couldn't have seized power if they tried because they didn't have an invading army like they did the previous time to back them up.

BlackGriffen
You got some ****ing nerve coming up wiht your apologist version of history. My father was part of the migration of Hindus forced out of the northern Punjab after the creation of Pakistan, East Pakistan and the new nation of India. To make a long story short, many South Asians know that it was the two western puppets Muhammed Ali Jinnah and Nehru Gandhi who called for the partition and both were educated in Britain in an early version of the School of Americas. What was the result of the partition? Ever heard of 'divide and conquer?' The arms industry has conquered. The west has benefitted. If the West was going to benefit then the old version of imperialism would not have ended.

As for your labelling of my post as 'conspiracy theories', well I've posted numerous times direct links to fundamentalist Christian American sites related to the GOP and also secular Israeli and Jewish sites who recognise the threat and planned 'apocalypse'. If you want, I'll post them over and over again. No problem. Then you try to deface my posts, Black Griffen.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 29, 2002, 05:10 PM

For the record ElPres your posts do reek of exaggeration, and conspriact theories.

You making post the left wing extrmist sites that have no credibility does help either.

Forum Links
Forum Rules