Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Gore-isms

Gore-isms
Jutaro
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2002, 03:49 AM

"We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur."

-- Vice President Al Gore, 9/22/97

"For NASA, space is still a high priority."

-- Vice President Al Gore, 9/5/93

"Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our children."

-- Vice President Al Gore

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century."

-- Vice President Al Gore, 9/15/95

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."

"[It's] time for the human race to enter the solar system."

"We're all capable of mistakes, but I do not care to enlighten you on the mistakes we may or may not have made."

"I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy - but that could change."

-- Vice President Al Gore, 5/22/98

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared.'"

-- Vice President Al Gore, 12/6/93

"Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things."

-- Vice President Al Gore, 11/30/96

"I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future."

"The future will be better tomorrow."

"We're going to have the best-educated American people in the world."

-- Vice President Al Gore, 9/21/97

"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made."

-- Vice President Al Gore to Sam Donaldson, 8/17/93

"We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a *part* of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a *part* of Europe."

"A zebra does not change its spots."

That's OK citizens of the world, sit back on your asses and let the Americans make the tough choices for you...

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2002, 03:54 AM

Psst... Jutaro...

Quayle.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 4, 2002, 03:55 AM

Oh yeah! This guy woul dhave done a MUCH better job at getting silly videos made about what he said than Bush. Maybe he should have been pres, just for the comic relief.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2002, 04:04 AM

Even though I hate the guy I can at least appreciate the difficulty of having to watch the things you say all the time. Having to create sound bites for the press can't be easy and talking about topics off the cuff is worse.
If these were all part of speeches he gave I'd say he deserves the mocking but I am willing to bet most are just things said in passing.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2002, 04:07 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Oh yeah! This guy woul dhave done a MUCH better job at getting silly videos made about what he said than Bush. Maybe he should have been pres, just for the comic relief.
Fully agree with that. Gore just didn't have a good personality. And regardless of what people think about Bush he is much better at improvising conversation with reporters and constituents.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

MadMacs
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2002, 04:08 AM

( Last edited by MadMacs; Oct 5, 2002 at 03:40 AM. )

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2002, 04:19 AM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
Fully agree with that. Gore just didn't have a good personality. And regardless of what people think about Bush he is much better at improvising conversation with reporters and constituents.
Right, Bush is full of witty quips about why the UN is irrelavant.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2002, 08:48 AM

Love 'em or hate 'em ... Gore was fun to watch.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2002, 09:02 AM

YOu also forgot the most important and biggest quote of all

"I helped create the Internet"
-Algore I believe he said this during the campaign.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2002, 09:03 AM

I'm not sure these are actually Gore's quotes. I've seen this list before, but it's been attributed to many different politicians, including both Bushes and Quayle.

To be frank, that leaves me wondering if any politician -or at least, any single politician- is responsible for all of these. No doubt they've all probably been said at some point or another, but by whom?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

fxbezak
Senior User
Location: mysql> CREATE TABLE bar (m INT) SELECT beer FROM tap;
Oct 4, 2002, 09:16 AM

Yea but to me... one who is not th greatest at improv only shows that they are human and their answers are ones that they auctually think about , not ones they read from DNC faxes, or ones Lobbyists tell them to say, etc.

What was pitiful was , if anyone saw it, the Lautenberg induction speech. That was the difference between not well thought out and bumbling idiot. He had no idea what to even say, he was all over the place.
The Desires of Youth are the Regrets of Maturity.
http://www.unixtree.net

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2002, 09:41 AM

Typical lies of the right.

Some of those I know are quotes from Dan Quayle. And because some of them are lies, I don't believe any of them.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2002, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by BRussell:

Some of those I know are quotes from Dan Quayle. And because some of them are lies, I don't believe any of them.
Yeah...

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2002, 09:52 AM

Well I don't think this is a Lie from the right

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet" Gore said when asked to cite accomplishments that separate him from another Democratic presidential hopeful, former Sen. Bill Bradley of New Jersey, during an interview with Wolf Blitzer on CNN on March 9, 1999.

A trascript of that speach is here

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2002, 09:54 AM

More Gore-isms

Maybe Michael Jordan hasn't made an indelible impression on everyone outside Chicago. Speaking at a D.C. function, Vice President Al Gore, wowed by the Bulls, said: "I tell you that Michael Jackson is unbelievable, isn't he. He's just unbelievable."
( Source: The Chicago Tribune June 17, 1998 )

I got my stuff from here

denim
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2002, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by MadMacs:
Are these for real? . . . . DAMN!
No, they were said by Dan Quayle.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2002, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by typoon:
Yeah...
So are you saying they aren't lies, they aren't from the right, or they aren't typical?
"I tell you that Michael Jackson is unbelievable, isn't he. He's just unbelievable."
Wow. I can't believe Gore said that. I'm sure not a single other person around the world said something similar about Michael Jordan.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2002, 10:43 AM

So are you saying they aren't lies, they aren't from the right, or they aren't typical?
No. What we're saying is that this is probably a list of genuine quotes which has been miscommunicated so many times that no one really knows for sure who said them anymore. And I very much doubt that whoever's really responsible for them is going to come forward and admit it. So unless someone can find newspaper articles or speech transcripts with the quotes in them, we'll probably never know who really said this stuff.

It might have been Gore. It might have been someone else. It's even possible that Gore only said some of the quotes, and someone else is responsible for the rest. I don't claim to know for sure. But I don't think honest miscommunication can be called a lie.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

goral
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2002, 10:45 AM

Well I don't think this is a Lie from the right

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet" Gore said when asked to cite accomplishments that separate him from another Democratic presidential hopeful, former Sen. Bill Bradley of New Jersey, during an interview with Wolf Blitzer on CNN on March 9, 1999.
Are there still people who are so ignorant that they think that this somehow makes Gore look bad?

"I took the initiative in creating the Internet"
does not mean
"I created the Internet"
does not mean
"I invented the Internet"

To the ignorant beyond belief: Vint Cerf is the guy who "invented the Internet" (if you're stupid enough to think it's possible to claim that a single person "invented" the Internet).

Apple is buying Microsoft. It was in the paper, it must be true!!!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2002, 10:45 AM

Wow. I can't believe Gore said that. I'm sure not a single other person around the world said something similar about Michael Jordan.
They aren't lies, they aren't from the right and they aren't typical, as you can see it's tough to make that stuff up.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2002, 10:46 AM

Anybody see the video of Gore taking a tour of the Library of Congress (i think it was)? He pointed at the carved figures of Lincoln, Jefferson, and George Washington - and asked "now, who are these people?"

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2002, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by goral:

Are there still people who are so ignorant that they think that this somehow makes Gore look bad?

"I took the initiative in creating the Internet"
does not mean
"I created the Internet"
does not mean
"I invented the Internet"

To the ignorant beyond belief: Vint Cerf is the guy who "invented the Internet" (if you're stupid enough to think it's possible to claim that a single person "invented" the Internet).

Apple is buying Microsoft. It was in the paper, it must be true!!!
are those links to a mirror site for "tree-hugging-bleeding-heart-Gore-zealot.com" ?

please use a more 'mainstream' source the next time you cop a condescending attitude and wish to 'enlighten' us about the origins of the internet and/or praise a loser like Gore.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2002, 10:58 AM

Sorry Millennium and typoon, those are Quayle quotes.

If you wish to claim they are misquotes, when these have been documented Quayle quotes for over a decade now, the burden is on you. It wouldn't surprise me if a few of them are exagerrations or misquotes of Quayle, just like the "I invented the internet" quote. But to say "no Gore actually said them!!!" is just too funny.

Actually, the more I think about this, the more I wonder if this isn't really a bait from some Democrat playing with gullible Republicans. It's just too easy.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2002, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
Anybody see the video of Gore taking a tour of the Library of Congress (i think it was)? He pointed at the carved figures of Lincoln, Jefferson, and George Washington - and asked "now, who are these people?"
Is that the one where the "tour guide" said "Well this one is President Lincoln, etc"..(Paraphrased .. it's been a while since I've seen that clip)

The look that Clinton had on his face was absolutely priceless. (I think he was in shock that Al would ask something like that.)

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2002, 11:00 AM

If you wish to claim they are misquotes, when these have been documented Quayle quotes for over a decade now, the burden is on you. It wouldn't surprise me if a few of them are exagerrations or misquotes of Quayle, just like the "I invented the internet" quote. But to say "no Gore actually said them!!!" is just too funny.

Actually, the more I think about this, the more I wonder if this isn't really a bait from some Democrat playing with gullible Republicans. It's just too easy.
Easilly verified either way on LexusNexis. (I'm not a big fan of Gore or Quayle) Who has an account? (I'm sure SOMEONE on here does.)

goral
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2002, 11:10 AM

are those links to a mirror site for "tree-hugging-bleeding-heart-Gore-zealot.com" ?

please use a more 'mainstream' source the next time you cop a condescending attitude and wish to 'enlighten' us about the origins of the internet and/or praise a loser like Gore.
Haha.

Link1 is to a copy of an email Vint Cerf sent to MSNBC.
Link2 is to Vint Cerf's bio at WORLDCOM.

I'll throw in this link as well:
Vint Cerf at Slashdot

What exactly are you disputing?

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2002, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by denim:

No, they were said by Dan Quayle.
A few were Quayle, some were Bush, and a few were Gore's.

This isn't a legit list... but still funny as hell.

This is why I refuse to vote. I don't want to be responsible for putting these monkeys in office. When someone with a brain runs, I may concider it. Until then.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2002, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by driven:

Easilly verified either way on LexusNexis. (I'm not a big fan of Gore or Quayle) Who has an account? (I'm sure SOMEONE on here does.)
I checked this one "I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy - but that could change." I found articles in newspapers ascribing it to Bush, Quayle, and Gore. Most seemed to think it was Quayle. However, none of the articles were dated from the time of the Bush/Quayle Administration. Most of the articles that mentioned it seemed to be from around 2000 to the present.

I suspect these are mostly of the "urban legend" style of reporting.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2002, 11:15 AM

Ok ... I did some Google hunting. I wanted to try and attributed these quotes to one or the other. I can't. Look below ....

----
As best I can tell:

"We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur."

- Quayle

"For NASA, space is still a high priority."

- Quayle

"Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our children."

-- I found this one attributed to Gore *and* Quayle on so many sites that it�s doubtful either one said it.

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century."

-- This one has been attributed to Gore, Quayle, Bush, and ** Carter ** ????

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."

-- Quayle

"[It's] time for the human race to enter the solar system."

-- Quayle

"We're all capable of mistakes, but I do not care to enlighten you on the mistakes we may or may not have made."

-- Attributed to Quayle, Gore and Bush.

"I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy - but that could change."

-- Attributed to both Gore and Quayle

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared.'"

"Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things."

"I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future."

"The future will be better tomorrow."

-- Attributed to both Gore, Quayle and CLINTON ????

"We're going to have the best-educated American people in the world."

----

At this point I gave up. I am not sure if either one of them said it. (And certainly Carter and Clinton didn't say the quotes above.)

I found the ones below as well .... but again I'll doubt their authenticity. But they ARE funny as heck ....

----

A few new ones that I found while looking the above quotes up.
"Mars is essentially in the same orbit... Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, & water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe." --Vice President Al Gore, 8/11/94

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century." -- Vice President Al Gore, 9/15/95

(This one is my personal favorite!)
"Democrats understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child."-Vice President Al Gore

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2002, 11:16 AM

I never heard Quayle say any of these things. I know people made fun of him because he speeled potato with an "e" on the end.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2002, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
I checked this one "I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy - but that could change." I found articles in newspapers ascribing it to Bush, Quayle, and Gore. Most seemed to think it was Quayle. However, none of the articles were dated from the time of the Bush/Quayle Administration. Most of the articles that mentioned it seemed to be from around 2000 to the present.

I suspect these are mostly of the "urban legend" style of reporting.
Thank you.

(And I agree.)

tie
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2002, 11:50 AM

What was the point of starting this thread? Especially when no source was ever checked. Spam.

MadMacs
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2002, 12:44 PM

( Last edited by MadMacs; Oct 5, 2002 at 03:41 AM. )

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 4, 2002, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by driven:

Love 'em or hate 'em ... Gore was fun to watch.
If you like such pain.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2002, 01:12 PM

Here are some Ronald Reagan quotes:

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is"

"I invented the internet."

Now, I've seen some places attributing these quotes to Clinton or Gore as well as Reagan, but I guess now we'll just never know who really said those things.

Check out this urban legends page about Quayle quotes. It discusses the false internet mass e-mails attributing Quayle quotes to Gore. It also has a funny video of some Quayle-isms, showing that at least one of the quotes attributed to Gore above was definitely Quayle.

[edit] Here's the Quayle video in Quicktime format.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 4, 2002, 01:13 PM

I'd not want to admit it either.

Don't worry, you'll be able to go to sleep at night.

Stop being a Goron.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 4, 2002, 01:15 PM

ROFL!!!

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 4, 2002, 01:20 PM

Found more.

Goreisms

There were Bushisms and Quayleisms, and now there are Goreisms.....

* "I was recently on a tour of Latin America, and the only regret I have was that I didn't study Latin harder in school so I could converse with those people."

* "If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."

* "Democrats understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child."

* "Welcome to President Clinton, Mrs. Clinton, and my fellow astronauts."

* "Mars is essentially in the same orbit... Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe."

* "What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is."

* "The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century."

* "I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy - but that could change."

* "One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared.'"

* "Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things."

* "I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future."

* "The future will be better tomorrow."

* "We're going to have the best-educated American people in the world."

* "People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history."

* "I stand by all the misstatements that I've made."

* "We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a *part* of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a *part* of Europe."

* "Public speaking is very easy."

* "I am not part of the problem. I am a Democrat."

* "A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls."

* "When I have been asked who caused the riots and the killing in L.A., my answer has been direct and simple: Who is to blame for the riots? The rioters are to blame. Who is to blame for the killings? The killers are to blame.

* "Illegitimacy is something we should talk about in terms of not having it."

* "We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur."

* "For NASA, space is still a high priority."

* "Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our children."

* "The American people would not want to know of any misquotes that Al Gore may or may not make."

* "We're all capable of mistakes, but I do not care to enlighten you on the mistakes we may or may not have made."

* "It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."

* "[It's] time for the human race to enter the solar system."

http://www.joke-archives.com/political/goreisms.html

Some are repeats of the other list.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2002, 01:36 PM

Found more.
hehe

How does it feel to be a dupe?

Those are again things Quayle said.

I still think this must be some Democratic prank on Republicans. Get them to say it's Gore and then reveal to them it's really Quayle.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 4, 2002, 01:52 PM

hehe

How does it feel to be a dupe?

Those are again things Quayle said.

I still think this must be some Democratic prank on Republicans. Get them to say it's Gore and then reveal to them it's really Quayle.
Yeah I am sure it's a conspiracy!

Gore would NEVER say anything idiotic like that!

ROFL!

Not been duped.

Kitschy
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2002, 02:19 PM

Why is it that Republicans are played off to be the "dumb" ones when Democrats have said just as much dumb stuff as Republicans?

It's that pesky liberal media...

ringo
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2002, 02:21 PM

Gore said it. No, Quale said it. No, Bush said it.
Who's on first? What's on second?

I don't know what's funnier (or more sad)...the fact that any of our elected officials are dim-witted enough to have said these things...or how quickly each side becomes convinced that they *know* who said what when faced with conflicting sources.

A lie from the left! No, A lie from the right!
Some prankster decided that it would be funny to credit these quotes to someone who didn't say them and spread the word to sites that will believe ANYTHING bad about their opponents.
Somebody's been throwing golden apples.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 4, 2002, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by Kitschy:
Why is it that Republicans are played off to be the "dumb" ones when Democrats have said just as much dumb stuff as Republicans?

It's that pesky liberal media...
They are bigger liars.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2002, 02:36 PM

I hate politics.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2002, 03:33 PM

Anyone who refers to Al Gore as "Algore" or George W. Bush as "Shrub" generally doesn't have anything important to say and shouldn't be listened to.

I didn't see any 'Shrubs' here (for once), but at least one 'Algore'. Do you 'Algore' fans believe everything that Rush Limbaugh says?

(edit: I thought I saw more 'Algore's, there was only one. My bad...)
( Last edited by dreilly1; Oct 4, 2002 at 03:55 PM. )

Jutaro  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2002, 03:34 PM

Mammogram...sonogram...honey graham...
At an event in Las Vegas on Monday, 09/1800, Gore declared potential breast cancer victims faced "a long waiting line before they could get a biopsy or, uh, or a uh, another kind of, what am I looking for, a sonogram or...." People in the crowd shouted "mammogram."
(Source: Fox News 09/18/00; MSNBC 09/21/00 - The News with Brian Williams)
"Had_that happened to Bush the news media would have used it to further the theme that the Texas Governor has a troubled relationship with the English language." - Brian Williams 09/21/00

Equal...if not more so?
"When my sister and I were growing up," Mr. Gore told a small audience made up mostly of women, "there was never any doubt in our minds that men and women were equal, if not more so."
(Source: NY Times, 08/12/00)
Equal - if not more so? More so what? More "equal"? Who is more so? If two things are equal, what is the "more so" for?

Gore didn't reverse John 3:16, but he DID reverse Matthew 6:21
During the second debate, while discussing the environment, Gore said: "And I'm a grandfather now. I want to be able to tell my grandson, when I'm in my later years, that I didn't turn away from the evidence that showed that we were doing some serious harm. In my faith tradition, it is written in the book of Matthew, 'Where your heart is, there's your treasure also.' And I believe that we ought to recognize the value to our children and grandchildren of taking steps that preserve the environment in a way that's good for them."
Gore got the quote from Matthew 6:21 backwards. Matthew 6:21 states: "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." This follows verses 19 and 20 which say: "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal; but store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes and where thieves do not break in and steal."
This quote has nothing to do with the environment; it has to do with devotion to salvation The Bible verses specifically refer to being careful where you store your treasures - it follows the the reason would have to be because heart follows treasures. So not only did he misquote and misuse the quote - it is obvious he didn't know the context of the verse.

One thousand billion million trillion...
Oct. 25 2000 JACKSON, Tenn. (Reuters) � Criticizing Bush's Social Security privatization plan at a rally in Tennessee, Gore said, "He is proposing to privatize a big part of Social Security and he's proposing to take $1 trillion, a million billion dollars out of the Social Security trust fund and give it as a tax incentive to young workers."
A trillion is one thousand billion, not a million billion.

Execute a pregnant woman? Uhh... I don't know
On July 16, 2000 during a "Meet the Press" interview, Gore was asked if he would be in favor of postponing the execution of a pregnant woman. His hesitant response was "I'd have to think about it".
Apparently not prepared for this curve ball of a question, Gore must have been so conscientious about upsetting his pro-choice constituency that he couldn't even give the answer that was obvious to every member of the House which in uncharacteristically unanimous fashion passed legislation shortly after this interview to prohibit such a practice.

RUSSERT: Right now there's legislation which says that a woman on death row, if she's pregnant, she should not be executed. Do you support that?
GORE: I don't what you're talking about.
RUSSERT: It's a federal statue on the books that if a woman is pregnant and she's on death row, she should not be executed.
GORE: Well, I don't know what the circumstances would be in that situation. I would--you know, it's an interesting fact situation. I'd want to think (OFF-MIKE).
The full transcript is available here.

$29 dollars a week can buy a lot of Diet Cokes
In his 2000 convention acceptance speech, Gore said the Bush tax cut would save the average family 62 cents a week ("enough for a diet coke"). He later clarified it and said 62 cents a day per family... which is still wrong. Even at 62 cents a day, that's only a little over $226 a year. Under the Bush tax plan, the average family would save $1500 -- $4.20 a day, which is almost $29 dollars a week.

Collecting cans for prescription drug benefits!
During the October 3, 2000 Presidential debate, Gore mentioned 79-year-old Winifred Skinner, who has become the campaign's mascot for his Medicare prescription-drug program. "In order to pay for her prescription drug benefits, she has to go out seven days a week, several hours a day, picking up cans ," Gore said. "She came all the way from Iowa in a Winnebago with her poodle in order to attend here tonight."
However, Skinner doesn't need to collect cans for her medication. Her son, Earl King, who formerly owned his own business and now lives on an 80-acre ranch and describes his lifestyle as "comfortable," has offered repeatedly to help her make ends meet. She continually declines his offers. In addition, the Winnebago Gore referred to, as well as the gas, was paid for by the Gore campaign. Five campaign workers accompanied Skinner, a longtime Democrat and former union organizer.
(Source: New York Post, October 5, 2000 "Gore's nose is growing again"; Washington Post, October 5, 2000, page A20)

I was there with James Lee Witt...oh, wait....
In the Presidential debate on October 3, 2000, Governor George W. Bush gave credit to the Federal Emergency Management Service (FEMA) for their work in Texas during fires and floods in Parker County. Vice President Al Gore said "I accompanied James Lee Witt down to Texas when those fires broke out." Carl Cameron, of Fox News first reported that Gore had not, in fact, been to Texas with Witt to look at the damage in Parker County. Gore WAS in Texas, but FEMA officials said Witt never went to Texas to deal with the 1998 fires.
To say that he was traveling with Witt implies strongly that Gore was traveling to a location in an official capacity. Gore was on his way to a fundraiser, and happened to run into FEMA people at the airport. The purpose of his trip was to attend a fundraiser, NOT to see the damage, as Gore implies. While Gore has accompanied Witt on other occasions, Gore didn't on this occasion, AND the purpose of this particular trip wasn't even connected with the disasters. Some claim Gore just "forgot" that Witt wasn't with him on this occasion... did Gore also forget the purpose of this particular trip?
"If James Lee was there before or after, then you know, I got that wrong then," Gore said on ABC's Good Morning America on October 4, 2000.
(Source: New York Post, October 5, 2000 "Gore's nose is growing again")

I was part of those discussions! Really!
At a Sept. 22 press conference, Gore stated "I've been a part of the discussions on the strategic reserve since the days when it was first established." However, President Ford established the Strategic Petroleum Reserves when he signed the Energy Policy and Conservation Act (EPCA) on December 22, 1975 � two years before Al Gore became a congressman
(Source: Washington Post, Sept. 24 2000)
(note: it was actually 13 months, not 2 years as the Post states)
Now, technically, 1975 was when it was declared U.S. policy to establish a reserve, but the reserve was not established (sites purchased or built, etc) until 1977, when Gore was in Congress. However, isn't this yet another case of "fuzzy wording"? Gore phrases the initial statement to give the impression that he was somehow responsible or "part of something" from the outset, but leaves wiggle room so that he can later justify the statement. And isn't saying he was part of "discussions on the strategic reserve" meant to leave the impression that he was was part of the planning process, prior to the sites being purchased, etc? Decide for yourself.

A dog's health care costs less than my mother-in-law's!
Vice President Al Gore, reaching for a personal example to illustrate the breathtaking costs of some prescription drugs, told seniors in Florida that his mother-in-law pays nearly three times as much for the same arthritis medicine used for his ailing dog, Shiloh. "That's pretty bad when you have got to pretend to be a dog or a cat to get a price break" he stated. Gore's mother-in-law does pay more for her medication, but the generic brand of the drug, which 85% of Americans now use as a cheaper alternative, costs half as much, or one and a half times what it costs for the pooch - not three times. In addition, given the complexities of the marketplace, and the steps people take to get a better deal, it can work the other way around: Pets "pretending" to be humans. The Gore campaign also admitted that it lifted those costs not from his family's bills, but from a House Democratic study, and that Gore misused even those numbers: They represent the manufacturer's price to wholesalers, not the retail price of the brand-name product.
Drug costs often cost more for humans, though, because they are more heavily regulated. Jeff Trewhett, the spokesman for the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers Association of America, said the higher costs for the human version of patented drugs is justified because the research, development, and approval costs can surpass $500 million per drug. But once the drug is approved for humans, the cost to test and approve it for animals is minimal, he said. Interestingly enough, Gore is proposing more regulations on on top of what we have now. Our food also costs 3 times as much as the dog's... will Gore say that we have to pretend to be dogs to get affordable food?
(Source: "Gore misstates facts in drug-cost pitch" Boston Globe, 9/18/2000 )

That's OK citizens of the world, sit back on your asses and let the Americans make the tough choices for you...

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2002, 03:52 PM

Yeah...
it's called "credibility", when you give a speech or whatever if you have one fact wrong the viewer can then assume you have ALL the facts wrong.

So double check your facts folks!

for the record I have no clue if gore did say any or all these of these quotes, I consider all politicians to be bumbling idiots who are paid to say whatever...
( Last edited by juanvaldes; Oct 4, 2002 at 04:06 PM. )
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 4, 2002, 06:08 PM

Jutaro stop you are going to make the Gore apologist cry!

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2002, 07:11 PM

Jutaro stop you are going to make the Gore apologist cry!
At least Gore, and not Quayle, actually said those things in his new list.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2002, 09:49 PM

Dug this up from a while back. From what I know, they are accurate:

People that are really
> very weird can get into sensitive positions and have
> a tremendous impact on history."
> ...George W. Bush
>
> "I stand by all the misstatements that I've made."
> ...George W. Bush to Sam Donaldson, 8/17/93
>
> "We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a part of
> NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a
> part of Europe." ...George W. Bush
>
> "Public speaking is very easy." ...George W. Bush to
> reporters
>
> "I am not part of the problem. I am a Republican"
> ...George W. Bush
>
> "A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer
> people going to the polls." ...George W. Bush
>
> "We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or
> may not occur." ...George W. Bush 9/22/97
>
> "For NASA, space is still a high priority."
> ...George W. Bush, 9/5/93
>
> "Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession
> that teach our children." ...George W. Bush, 9/18/95
>
> "The American people would not want to know of any
> misquotes that George Bush may or may not make."
> ...George W. Bush
>
> "We're all capable of mistakes, but I do not care to
> enlighten you on the mistakes we may or may not have
> made." ...Governor George W. Bush
>
> "It isn't pollution that's harming the environment.
> It's the impurities in our air and water that are
> doing it."
> ...George W. Bush
>
> "[It's] time for the human race to enter the solar
> system." ...George W. Bush

Forum Links
Forum Rules