Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > DSL router... can I still host a website?

DSL router... can I still host a website?
MikeD
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2002, 10:47 PM

I know I get an IP from my router but can I connect to that IP from work? If not, how would I go about finding a way to do so?

Thanks,
Mike

Camelot
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2002, 01:15 AM

If your router is serving DHCP and giving you a private-class address (such as 192.168.x.x or 10.1.x.x) then you need to find out what real-world IP address your ISP is assigning to your router, and you have to configure your router to forward connections to your external IP address to your private address.

Without knowing your router make and model, there's no way anyone can tell you how to do this exactly. Check the documentation that came with your router for the specifics.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

JoNoiD
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2002, 01:46 AM

Once you find the IP address of your external interface, you then set up port redirection. For example, port 80 (web) would redirect to whatever (static) IP your internal webserver is set to.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 14, 2002, 07:41 AM

There are free and inexpensive services available that update DNS servers with your new IP after it changes. The service basically receives an automatic email from your computer after an IP change, then updates the DNS system for you.

Depending on your router, you may be able to automatically monitor your IP through its configuration routines, but the services I've looked at use a polling strategy-every few minutes the software on your computer sends out a request to determine your WAN IP (the one your ISP provides), and if it's changed, it sends out the email to have the DNS updated.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Krusty
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2002, 03:40 PM

What the people above have said is correct but I'm going to supplement with some actual links/pics since I went thru the same thing <2 weeks ago.

I have actually done what you are speaking of and it works fine (as long as your ISP isn't blocking port 80 for output). The best util I've found for finding out your "REAL" IP is IP Addresser which uses NAT. The only software I've seen that handles sending updated IPs is DNSUpdate
which I believe must be used with one of a few select re-direct services (there are free redirect svcs that will let you map yoursite.com to the updated DNS .. DynDNS.org is one of them that works with DNSUpdate).

Remapping port 80 looks something like this (*note, pic is of setup on SMC Barrcade configured via web browser). You can see on line 2 that port 80 has been configured to point to the web serving machine at 192.168.123.142 (as assigned by DHCP).

On a side note. Port 80 web serving has worked fine for me but port 139 windows sharing has NOT. Someone suggested that that port may be blocked by my ISP but it may also be that "SMB only shares on the same subnet" issue with 10.2. Good luck, post a link to your website if you get it working

as2
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2002, 08:33 PM

I've got the Netgear DG814 router and have been very impressed.

It was a breeze to set up, and supports dyndns through the router itself, so if the router re-connects to my adsl service it automatically updates the ip of my site.

Adam
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

Forum Links
Forum Rules