Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What should I buy?

What should I buy?
sworthy
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2002, 03:35 PM

ok everyone... my name is scott, longtime lurker, first time poster. I'm in the market for an apple laptop, and trying to decide which to buy. I realize that this is the ibook forum, and there will be some bias, so I'll post in the powerbook forum too.

I can get ADC pricing, and in examining the pricing this is what I've found:

Powerbook 867, 512, 40, combo - $1850 (or so)
14in ibook 800, 640, 40, combo, airport, 10 gig ipod - $1850 (or so)

Although I don't do much real "pro" work, I do mess around with web page design, and I do a lot of photo work. My real question is that will the G3 be around long enough to justify this computer's longevity, or will it be obsolete within the year?

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2002, 10:40 PM

For $5 more you get a G4 867, a 15.2" screen, but you loose 128MB of RAM. I'd say PowerBook.

G3 is a good processor, but I have no idea on the lifespan of it. It's obsolete the day you buy it, even before you buy it.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2002, 11:24 PM

If you're doing a lot of photo work, you might appreciate the 867 MHz G4 and the 15.2" widescreen display. Otherwise, don't torture yourself!

You'd have to ask yourself: is the 10 GB iPod important to you, or just a "while I'm at it" addition? Would you be willing to pay a bit extra to slap the AirPort card into the Powerbook (if it's particularly important)?

In your position, I'd get the Powerbook, forego the iPod and pay the extra money for an AirPort card. The Powerbook would probably be more enjoyable to work with, even when it's no longer the hottest thing on the block.

JoNoiD
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2002, 06:03 PM

The question you have to ask yourself if whether you really want the iPod, or whether it would be just a cool accessory.

Cipher13
Nov 17, 2002, 08:43 AM

Tough one.

iBook = much more portable, much more durable, more RAM, with a free iPod (essentially), and an AP card...

...versus the 'wow' factor of the TiBook, and some additional speed. With that comes additional size, and fragility.

OreoCookie
Nov 18, 2002, 10:18 AM

Keep in mind that I am an iBook user. I'd go for the PowerBook.

In the years that I own computers, one thing that I have learned is that you can always buy accessories later.

I wanted an iPod since introduction, and finally I have ordered mine last week!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules