Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > GoLive or Dreamweaver?

GoLive or Dreamweaver?
JoNoiD
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2002, 02:03 AM

This may have been asked already, but what are your preferences for WYSIWYG editors? GoLive or Dreamweaver (or other) and why?

Griggsy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2002, 09:39 AM

I was Golive until Dreamweaver MX came out and quickly realised there was no point anymore dreamweaver had won!
Torn apart by the wood peckers of mistrust t0 not have this happen 2 u visit guinea pig::the life of a mac designer::

t_hah
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2002, 11:35 AM

I love Dreamweaver and I am a switcher from GoLive. I did it becasue Dreamweaver has a very good set of tools built in. Once you understand most of the elements and tools you will see how powerful it is. I use lot of php coding, and it has built in support for that, which is a big plus for me. I have not seen the latest GoLive, but I am really happy with Dreamweaver MX.

ryudo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2002, 11:09 AM

Dreamweaver for me too, I used GoLive up to 4 then jumped ship. It just seemed to work better. GoLive is great to learn on, but Dreamweaver all the way once you know what your doing. I still have my rookie designers use golive because it is easy to learn. And I liked the ftp function inside GoLive, although I am using MX's ftp more now.

MX is great, but still a little sluggish on my osx machine.

deekay1
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2002, 07:28 AM

dreamweaver! i've been using it for 3 years now, love the way it works and all the tools built into it. the only thing that is a pain in the a*s is creating frames...other than that, it can basically do anything you could ever imagine when it comes to building websites...

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

Macola
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2002, 10:11 PM

I'm another switcher from GoLive to Dreamweaver. IMHO, GoLive has superior site management tools, but Dreamweaver wins with just about everything else.

JoNoiD  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2002, 01:18 AM

That's cool. I currently use Golive (and BBEdit) and was considering switching to Dreamweaver. I understand that Dreamweaver has more support for stuff like PHP scripts and such...

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Nov 17, 2002, 08:52 AM

i made the decision, back in the day. the choice was Cyberstudio 3, or Deamweaver 1. i chose Dreamweaver then, and every new version of GoLive has done nothing to sway me into using it.

now, if only the bundled FTP app was any good...

[off topic]

did anyone else notice that Macromedia seem to have skipped Dreamweaver & Fireworks 5? the MX versions seem to think they're version 6. hmm. very interesting
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 17, 2002, 07:03 PM

I use GL6 for page layout and annotating elements, then use BBEdit to construct more structured markup, add PHP/Lasso functionality and make sure everything stays as-is.

I hate Macromedia's uncompromisingly PC-based interface, poor documentation and uneasy OS X implementation (having said that, Adobe isn't a shining example, either).

But GL6 has PHP functionality built in, nice CSS support and an easy-to-use site manager. And the 'rewrite source code' is a lovely way to normalise your code.
Computer thez nohhh...

one09jason
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2002, 11:48 AM

I think that some of this anti-GoLive sentiment is partly ignorance (no negative connotation intended, just the true sense of the word). I have used both, and have setteled on GoLive because it has some features that I can't live without - particularly site management. GoLive 6 is really very good, php scripting and all.

My complaint with BOTH software packages is that they have rough edges. GoLive has minor quirks and bugs, and Dreamweaver is slow and full of minor bugs too. I can't understand why neither company can put out a nice polished application (e.g. Photoshop)

My suggestion is to try them both, since they're both available for free tryout download. Best of luck.

yakkiebah
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2002, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by one09jason:
I think that some of this anti-GoLive sentiment is partly ignorance (no negative connotation intended, just the true sense of the word). I have used both, and have setteled on GoLive because it has some features that I can't live without - particularly site management.
Could you explain the bit about site management? Because it's the excact same reason i'm sticking with Dreamweaver.

I went from Golive to Dreamweaver for 2 reasons; 1 stability(it use to be stable until Golive became Adobemized) and 2 sitemanagement.

But right now i'm interested in Golive again since dreamweaver MX has become suche a bug ridden cpu bloating app.

one09jason
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2002, 12:55 PM

Site management in GoLive:

1) Move/change an image, link, page, group of pages, all referenceing links are updated automatically.

2) You can copy a site folder to removable media, send over internet, etc. When you do so, all associated files, templates, color resources, ftp or webdav settings, everything goes with it. In other words, you can package all your original artwork, pages, images, tempates everything in one folder that can be transported and will work on any computer with GoLive, anywhere. Very handy for students, or if you use multiple computers. Projects are completely self contained.

Another benefit for GoLive: SmartObjects. Drop a Photoshop file on a page, image is optimized according to your file and setting choices. Edit the Photoshop file later, the jpeg/gif/etc in your page is AUTOMATICALLY updated. Huge timesaver.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2002, 01:01 PM

The to apps approach site management in compleatly differant ways.
Golive keep's a .site (?) database file for every site you create and all the link's, site map,Directory structure, etc. info is recorded in that. as long as the site and it's .site file a kept together in the same folder it can be moved about (even to a different computer) and you can open the .site file in GoLive and it will all still be OK. This is good for over a network everybody uses the same site map file, because it's is kept on the server with the site It can also be backed up with the rest of the files.

Dreamweaver on the other hand keep's a big database containing all the info about all the sites you have created. This is kept somewhare in Dreamwevers prefs and has big drawbacks. If the site gets moved about (say you rename the Folder all your sites are kept in, or you have to put the site on an external drive, after it has been started) then this database breaks and has to be recreated, If you have to reinstall Dreamwever or you get a new computer, Again this database has to be recreated (from scratch if you changed computers). It also doesent get backed up with the site so you have to have old finished work about. It also gets corupted quite regually.
The site management is a major problem with DW and it 's the only thing where GoLive beats it hands down.
(Whew I didn't mean to go on that long)

Lt_Core
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2002, 04:16 PM

I am a GoLive 6 user, as well as BBEdit 7. I switched from Dreamweaver about a year ago. GoLive has great site management tools and the integration with other Adobe apps (Illustrator, Photoshop, LiveMotion) is worth the price of admission. If you use other Adobe apps regularly then consider GoLive. Imagine placing a native Illustrator/Photoshop file into GoLive and then updating that native file. Watch GoLive update the web graphics instantly. Incredible stuff! I use BBEdit for adding Lasso code. Nothing replaces BBEdit's HTML editor!

Forum Links
Forum Rules