Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Wireless Networking for Dummies, Help

Wireless Networking for Dummies, Help
Toad
Nov 28, 2002, 12:42 PM

I'm considering getting a Cable Modem and would like to go wireless in my house. I have a iMac DVSE running OS 10.2. Do I need to use the Airport Base Station and a Airport card or can I use any Cable/DSL Wireless Router? Is their a Standard, like 802.11b? What is this standard?

I guess I don't know all the questions to ask. So your help is appreciated. I've seen an advertisement at Staples for a Wireless Netgear Cable/DSL router for about $70. Sounds like a good deal if it works.

I also have a Sony Clie PDA, which I can buy the wireless card for (once again, I need the correct format compatibility)

Thanks,

Toad

Camelot
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2002, 02:37 PM

You will need an Apple AirPort card for the iMac, but you can use any vendor's base station/router to connect to the net.

All these systems are based on 802.11b, and they're all interoperable, so that's what allows you to use a non-Apple base station. However, due to the format of the iMac, you can only fit Apple's card inside the machine since all other vendors cards have an attached antenna which is designed to protrude from a laptop system, but there's no room for this antenna inside the iMac (which has its own wireless antenna inside the case)
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Nov 28, 2002, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by Camelot:
You will need an Apple AirPort card for the iMac, but you can use any vendor's base station/router to connect to the net.
Be sure you get one that you can configure though a web browser and not though PC software.

Linksys and D-Link work with Mac's.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2002, 07:37 PM

The most important distinguishing feature among the routers/Access Points (for Mac users) is the ability to bridge AppleTalk. This will allow wireless printing to a networked printer. A few do this, most do not. I have an Asante model and know that all of theirs do handle AT well.
Check this before buying.

Toad  (op)
Nov 28, 2002, 11:48 PM

Great Info! Thanks.

I am once again reminded of the value of internet Forums to answer my questions.

Toad

Forum Links
Forum Rules