Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > M$Office X problems with 10.6

M$Office X problems with 10.6
DNA man
Senior User
Jun 4, 2003, 03:49 PM

Hi have upgraded to M$Office X but I'm having a hell of a time with "unexpectly quit" error messages with Word and PowerPoint. This was never a problem with Office 2001. Please don't tell me I have wasted my money.

Can any one tell me what is going on with all these "unexpectly quit" error messages and how I can solve the problem. Plus what causes an "unexpectly quit" error messages?

Many thanks guys inadvance if you can help me out. I don't have that much hair left

Damn. just realised that I have posted into the MacOSX forum. Should it perhaps be in "software" unless it's an OSX specific reason.

Sorry Mods

cambro
Senior User
Jun 4, 2003, 03:56 PM

I assume you have installed the Office Service Release? MS claim it fixes some 1000+ bugs with the Office suite, but I think it still a buggy OS X app.

I use Office and it doesn't tank that often, but it still does from time to time for no apparent reason and it is definitely the most unstable OS X app. I have. Hopefully the next version (if and when it ever comes out) will iron out the kinks.

Good luck.

car1son
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2003, 05:58 PM

Update to Office 10.1.2 .

If problem persists, visit Microsoft's Mac Web Site again.
Click Support.
Click "Office v.X" under "Read about common support issues"
Scan the list of top issues until you find one "When I Start an Office Program, the Splash Screen Appears and then it Unexpectedly Quits, Why?" Click on it.

The resulting Microsoft Knowledge Database article Q313535, "MacOFFX: Office v. X Program Unexpectedly Quits After the Splash Screen Appears" will suggest a primary cause is corrupted fonts, tell you the four places where OS X stores Fonts, (the Classic OS9 System Folder:Fonts, your Home directory ~/Library/Fonts, /Library/Fonts, /System/Library/Fonts) and suggest you remove all non-essential fonts, reboot and try Office again. It will also point to a couple of other less-commonly used articles on quit-at-launch problems.

DNA man  (op)
Senior User
Jun 7, 2003, 02:38 PM

Thanks guys. I have update the software with the service pack for M$ Office X and so far so good.

Many thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules