Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Problem with YDL 3.0

Problem with YDL 3.0
Woehrle46
Jun 8, 2003, 01:15 PM

Hi, I have a problem with installing and running YDL 3.0. I am trying to install it onto a rev. D iMac, and when booting off of the install cds, the graphical mode fails and it reverts to text. This still works and does install but when the install completes and restarts, all I get is a blank grey screen. Right now I have already partitioned the HD for 2 OS9 drives and left the rest of the space free, which I am trying to use for linux. Any help would be appreciated.
My cat's breath smells like cat food.

benb
Jun 9, 2003, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Woehrle46:
Hi, I have a problem with installing and running YDL 3.0. I am trying to install it onto a rev. D iMac, and when booting off of the install cds, the graphical mode fails and it reverts to text. This still works and does install but when the install completes and restarts, all I get is a blank grey screen. Right now I have already partitioned the HD for 2 OS9 drives and left the rest of the space free, which I am trying to use for linux. Any help would be appreciated.
Have you tried going here and entering your problem in the "Search the Lists" field?

alfredo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2004, 01:26 PM

I have the same problem. I did search the list, and other lists, to no avail. There are a lot of people asking the question, but no answers to the questions.

I get the same problem with Mandrake. Searched that list too.

Could it be screen resolution?

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2004, 11:03 PM

hate to be an a-hole here, but I was thrilled to be rid of Linux when OS X public beta came out. I never could get it to support my hardware properly, and keeping the software up to date was such a pain.

If you want a lightweight Unix, I'd go with Darwin + fink + XFree86. You will still get a lightweight non-Aqua Unix. But, you will get proper hardware support. In addition, everything you know about OS X Unix directly applies to Darwin.

Just my opinion.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2004, 03:18 PM

Are you running or have you run OS X 10.2.8 on the machine in question? I remember hearing that 10.2.8 modified OpenFirmware in such a way that it broke YDL. They fixed that in YDL 3.0.1, so you might want to give that a shot.

I've only ever put YDL on pre-NewWorld machines so I can't comment on anything, as you would be using yaboot instead of BootX.

Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2004, 02:28 AM

I don't have any experience with YDL on a mac, but I do have lots of unix experience, and I have experience with OpenBSD (unix os) on a B&W dual boot. You have to use openfirmware. I know with OpenBSD i had to set up at 1mb DOS partition on the drive if I didn't have MacOS X on it at all.

OpenFirmware can only boot from a DOS or Mac partition. If you have MacOS X installed or OS 9 you have to copy a file called ofwboot to the root directory of the drive to be able to dual boot.

When the machine chimes press control option o f at the same time, and you'll get the OF prompt. you can type 'printenv' to find what your current variables are. There's a lot of power in there, most likely you would boot with something like this

boot hd:,ofwboot

Best of luck, there are a lot of resources out there for OpenFirmware. I'm working with a Sun Enterprise 250 currently and it has very similar OF to the Mac, quite a pleasing experience. Sun's is a little more polished, but oh well.

ndt
Apple iBook, B&W, Quadra 660, PowerMac 6100
Sun Netra T1, Ultra 1, Javastation
http://natetobik.mine.nu:81

Theodour
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2004, 03:39 AM

YDL 3's kernel has some problems with the rage 128 card (that iMac has the 8Mb Rage 128, I believe).

I've been tracing this for some time. If you want to get the iMac to work with YDL, get ver. 2.3 -- else try to do some kernel customization.

Dig around in these archives to see what I'm talking about.

http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/...owdog-general/

It blows, 'cause YDL 3 is really sweet, and I'd love to have it working on my old-world Mac (with its stock IMSTT 4Mb swapped for the Rage Orion -- YDL never did support the IMS cards, sadly).

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2004, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by Theodour:
YDL 3's kernel has some problems with the rage 128 card (that iMac has the 8Mb Rage 128, I believe).

I've been tracing this for some time. If you want to get the iMac to work with YDL, get ver. 2.3 -- else try to do some kernel customization.

Dig around in these archives to see what I'm talking about.

http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/...owdog-general/

It blows, 'cause YDL 3 is really sweet, and I'd love to have it working on my old-world Mac (with its stock IMSTT 4Mb swapped for the Rage Orion -- YDL never did support the IMS cards, sadly).
If the Linux kernel code supports your video card, it doesn't matter if YDL supports it. All you need is a working install that you can use to recompile the kernel for the hardware in question.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

linux_man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2004, 08:31 PM

Anyone who would prefer OSX to Linux is, well...
OS X is bloatware. I don't need bouncing application icons, especially when it takes away from my already low system resources.

Mind you, anyone who would PAY for a Mac is, well...

Sorry, it had to be said. Sadly, I still have some old Macs kicking around that I have been landed with. Trying to put them to the best use (linux).

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2004, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by linux_man:
Anyone who would prefer OSX to Linux is, well...
OS X is bloatware. I don't need bouncing application icons, especially when it takes away from my already low system resources.

Mind you, anyone who would PAY for a Mac is, well...

Sorry, it had to be said. Sadly, I still have some old Macs kicking around that I have been landed with. Trying to put them to the best use (linux).
*cough* TROLL *cough*

Forum Links
Forum Rules