Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MDD PowerMac: Won't boot from CD or Firewire HD

MDD PowerMac: Won't boot from CD or Firewire HD
no use for a nick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2003, 10:15 AM

So I'm working on a MDD PowerMac that needs a fresh installation of X and I discover that not only will it not boot from the X discs or the system restore discs but it also won't boot from my firewire hard drive.

The current installation of X offers up both the CD's and the Firewire drive as valid startup disk, but after the restart it defaults back to the internal drive. When holding down Option at startup, it only offers the internal drive as a boot option.

I'm not sure where to go next with this one.

--
nick

awcopus
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2003, 03:43 AM

One of the beautiful things about OS X is that if you perform a clean install of the system, and since all of your preferences are stored in your Users folder, which is untouched, you'll basically end up with a fully functioning system with perhaps only one or two minor anomalies that are easily solved by resinstalling an app or two and repairing permissions.

Put in the install disc and install a new system folder without reformatting your drive, a clean installation. Then throw out your old system. Should solve your problem.

Good luck.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2003, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by no use for a nick:
So I'm working on a MDD PowerMac that needs a fresh installation of X and I discover that not only will it not boot from the X discs or the system restore discs but it also won't boot from my firewire hard drive.
I had this problem with a MDD 867. After trying a lot of other options, I ended up booting it in Firewire target disk mode, connected it to my TiBook, and installed OS X from there.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

awcopus
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2003, 12:27 PM

To force the Mac to boot from your install disc, you hold down the "c" key. Not the option key. Go for it.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2003, 09:43 PM

I have a similar problem, the internal and external cd drives are recognized by System Profiler, but when I insert a cd it does not mount and when I try to boot from one (OSX, DW), by holding down the c key I get the grey screen of death. So since this must be OS independent, what comes online before the OS boots? Could it be a hardware problem despite the totally different input channels (ATA, FW)

733/1G, 2x 40G hds, OSX 1.1.5

awcopus
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2003, 01:37 AM

As a brand new owner of a 1.42 MDD, I decided to test this out. Lo and behold, NO BOOT FROM THE OS X CD. Well that's stupid. With the "c" key depressed, it just sort of powers through to an HD startup.

Placing a call to Apple tomorrow. Will report back with official feedback. Meanwhile, anybody know anything about this? Any ideas?

Macola
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2003, 04:57 PM

Do you have another bootable CD, like Diskwarrior 3? Can you boot from that?
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

no use for a nick  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2003, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by awcopus:
One of the beautiful things about OS X is that if you perform a clean install of the system, and since all of your preferences are stored in your Users folder, which is untouched, you'll basically end up with a fully functioning system with perhaps only one or two minor anomalies that are easily solved by resinstalling an app or two and repairing permissions.

Put in the install disc and install a new system folder without reformatting your drive, a clean installation. Then throw out your old system. Should solve your problem.

Good luck.
Unless you want to install a the entire thing from scratch. I don't want any users there. I want a brand new installation...which is what the restore CD's are supposed to do. I think you see what I mean now that you've tried it for yourself though.

To force the Mac to boot from your install disc, you hold down the "c" key. Not the option key. Go for it.
The Option key is useful at boot, because it will show you all available boot options. Quite handy. I'm aware of the C key function though.

As a brand new owner of a 1.42 MDD, I decided to test this out. Lo and behold, NO BOOT FROM THE OS X CD. Well that's stupid. With the "c" key depressed, it just sort of powers through to an HD startup.

Placing a call to Apple tomorrow. Will report back with official feedback. Meanwhile, anybody know anything about this? Any ideas?
What did you hear from Apple?
--
nick

Forum Links
Forum Rules