Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > PGP Freeware and OS9?

PGP Freeware and OS9?
shorton
May 12, 2000, 02:14 PM

Does anyone know when or if PGP freeware updated for OS9 will be released? I miss that program.
thanks,
SH
(Oops, forgot to have the software email me if someone posts. Please feel free to reply to <[email protected]> )

[This message has been edited by shorton (edited 05-12-2000).]

pfonke
May 16, 2000, 09:52 AM

I don't know of any plans for an update. Are you having trouble with PGP and 9? I started having trouble with it, but others have reported no trouble. PGP still runs on my mac, but it often claims it does not have enough random bits to perform tasks. I've found that launching PGP tools often eliminates this problem.

Thomas
May 16, 2000, 10:28 AM

PGPDisk doesn�t work with MacOS 9. Thats the main reason why I haven�t upgraded yet! I can�t work without it!

japruss
May 16, 2000, 10:33 AM

I've been using PGPDisk while running 9.0.4 with no problems. It's been 3-4 months now without incident.

Avi Drissman
May 16, 2000, 10:38 AM

From what I can remember off-hand...

PGPDisk is a feature of the commercial version of PGP, not of the freeware version. An old version of PGPDisk was included in the freeware version for a while, although it should not have been.

If you want a version of PGPDisk that will work with OS 9, then you'll need to get the commercial version. I'm using Commercial PGP 6.5.1, and I have no problems with PGPDisk and OS 9.

Avi

Unseelie
May 16, 2000, 01:41 PM

I'm using the version of PGPdisk that came with PGP Personal Privacy with MacOS 9.0.4 with no problems. Admittedly PGP Personal Privacy is not free, but $19.95 isn't bad at all, and it's certainly worth it.

I forgot my username...
May 16, 2000, 03:39 PM

I know from experience that after OS 9 was installed, I had lots of trouble with PGP... it turned out to be that the PGP menu and PGP itself was conflicting with certain apps... notably MS Office 98 apps like Word...

There is an option in the PGP tools that will allow you to exclude PGP from certain apps...

PGP Tools, Preferences/Menu - you can exclude certain apps from using the menu, and this will prevent crashes, etc...

I am not using PGP Disk, only the freeware version (mainly for VPN access, file/email encoding, etc...).

I'm using freeware version 652a. No probs with OS 9, or 9.04.

Forum Links
Forum Rules