Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > burned CDs and portable CD players

burned CDs and portable CD players
fady
Jul 26, 2000, 05:15 PM

Hi,

I have a LaCie 8x4x32x (plexwriter) firewire CD-RW. I burn mp3 on Audio CDs to be able to listen to them on my portable cd player. It seems however that the CD play unreliably (the song skips and the player says "sorry") but plays correctly (or so i thinks) on my stereo?

can somebody help me out?

Thx
fady :-)
proud owner of a MacPro.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2000, 07:45 PM

What application are you using to burn the CDs? I use Toast 4.1 to burn mp3 audio CDs and they work perfectly in my portable CD player and Stereo.

fady  (op)
Jul 27, 2000, 12:03 AM

I have toast 4.1.
My setting is the following: iMac DV SE, 128 mg, VM on.

What are your settings for Toast? Do you have the option "Prefer Disk-at-once" checked? How much ram cache do you have set?

Finally, is your portable cd player a Panasonic?

thx again.
proud owner of a MacPro.

Cipher13
Jul 27, 2000, 06:05 AM

Set the disk cache as high as possible, and preferable convert the mp3's to aiffs before burning.

Cipher13

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2000, 12:23 PM

and don't use above 4x recording, a lot of CD players don't like 6 or 8x recorded CDs
Aaron

fady  (op)
Jul 28, 2000, 01:13 PM

Ok,

i burned at 4x and converted my mp3s into AIFF. It seems to do less errors in reading when in my damn portable panasonic player. the problems occur when i use the ANTISHOCK.

I do not have VM turned on. Does that have any effect?

Finally, should I use Disc-At-Once? I did that time. What is Disc-At-Once?

thx.
proud owner of a MacPro.

iPaul UK
Senior User
Jul 28, 2000, 05:44 PM

The above mentioned suggestions may help, but I doubt they will completly cure your problem..

CD players do age.. Laser head units get weaker.. And this needs to be in good condition in order to play from CD-R type discs because they do not reflect the laser light back quite so well as from regular CD's.

The cheaper the player, the more likely you are to have problems.. Also, some players preffer different brands of CD-R media.. Exprimenting with different brands may well be worth a try.

DAO mode won't help your problem in the slightest.

luap82
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2000, 06:43 PM

make sure you write the disc and not just a session, this will pretty much guarantee that your CD player wont read it (newer ones will sometimes) the problem is with your CD player, not the burner or anything. You should look into a Magnavox, i got mine for 60 bucks, it is small, sweet looking, and not only does it read CDRs, but CDRWs! its the only one i know of that does this. I had a sony but when i saw this one i knew i had to have it. I ditched the sony (i hate sony, overpriced) and bought the mag. it is awesome, 25 sec ESP, etc, but im getting off topic. hope this helps.
-LUAP
UND KEINE EIER

Cipher13
Jul 28, 2000, 11:16 PM

You can get CD's designed specifically for Audio - dunno how good they are, but worth a try.
I always use Verbatim DataLifePlus CD's - the real dark blue ones.

Cipher13

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2000, 12:58 AM

Hmm my sony cd player (the one that lasts for a ludicrous amount of time - 76 hours, on 4 batts) can read almost any cd I put into it, 80 minute cds, cdrw, cdrs, the weird shaped ones... well that really offered no help

Toad
Jul 30, 2000, 12:39 AM

Could one of you guys clear something up for me:

You are burning MP3's onto CDRs (and CDRWs). You are able to play them on a regular CD player?

Or are you playing them on a CD player that specially reads MP3 disks?

If you convert MP3's to avi. fromat, can a regular CD player play them?

Thanks,

Toad

Cipher13
Jul 30, 2000, 01:43 AM

When we say burning mp3's to CD, we mean we drop the mp3 files onto Toast, then Toast converts them to raw audio format on the fly and write to CD so any player can read it. Its not actually burning the mp3 to CD. You can get CD players that can read data CD's with mp3's on them though, but not many are around. Look and you will find one.
With Toast, it will convert aiffs, mp3's and wavs to the audio CD standard (orange book??).
Answer your question?

Cipher13

fady  (op)
Aug 1, 2000, 03:35 AM

Well, I'm happy my problem is fixed!

When i burned my audio cd's, I dropped my mp3's onto toast and I burned the cd at 8x. It played correctly in my iMac, my stereo but not my Panasonic portable cd player with 40 sec antiskip. I tried burning at 4x instead and using aiff files instead of mp3 but the problem persisted (ie. the player stopped playing as it seemed to have difficulty reading the cd and continued minutes later...)

anyhow, I ended up putting my hands on a Philips (aka Magnavox) cd player with 25 sec esp and all my cds up to now play perfectly...

IMHO, the problem is with the PANASONIC cd player and not my amazing LaCie 8x4x32 burner!

thank you all!
proud owner of a MacPro.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2000, 10:24 AM

I have the same problem with an Aiwa with 40 second skip protection. I'm planning on buying a new one too, since the CD's played fine everywhere else.

Forum Links
Forum Rules