Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Regular Mouse Freeze at Startup

Regular Mouse Freeze at Startup
Folker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2001, 08:19 PM

this is a great forum...Looking for some help with start up freezes I'm experiencing with my 350 Mhz iMac. My mouse freezes at startup.
When I restart everything is fine. Every time I use my machine I have to re-boot.

I have a McNally hub. The keyboard is plugged into port #1 in the hub. My Iomega Zip CD drive is plugged into the #1 hub in the side of the iMac.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Visnaut
Senior User
Jul 8, 2001, 09:51 PM

Have you tried unplugging and replugging the mouse? This worked for me once. What about keyboard input, does that work? If yes, try switching around the the mouse onto the other port on the keyboard, or into the hub itself. Oh, and on a hunch, only plug in the Zip drive AFTER your mac has started up to see if your mouse freezes then.

Hope that helped!

Fredo
Senior User
Jul 8, 2001, 10:12 PM

The problem is caused by plugging the keyboard into a hub. Try plugging the mouse into your keyboard, and the keyboard directly into your iMac. Plug your hub into the other USB outlet in the keyboard. This will leave a free outlet in the iMac for a weecam or any other USB device that needs a direct connection. It works for me!
Who are the Brain Police?

Cipher13
Jul 9, 2001, 02:10 AM

Yeah, you MUST have your keyboard straight into the computer... USB port 1 for good measure (not that it really matters).

Use the other free port for your hub, and then the mouse into the keyboard, and you'll still have one free port on the keyboard...

Folker  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2001, 06:59 AM

Interesting. Thank you. I was also told that I need to have the CD-R drive plugged directly into the computer. Any chance of plugging the hub into the keyboard? I wish the iMac had more ports...

Cipher13
Jul 10, 2001, 06:14 AM

Originally posted by Folker:
<STRONG>Interesting. Thank you. I was also told that I need to have the CD-R drive plugged directly into the computer. Any chance of plugging the hub into the keyboard? I wish the iMac had more ports...</STRONG>
Don't try plugging a hub into a hub (the keyboard is a hub).

Yeah, the burner, if bus powered, needs to go straight into the computer... unless your hub is powered externally and the other devices aren't taking too much bandwidth away from the burner...

I hate USB...

tomatohead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2001, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by Folker:
<STRONG>

I have a McNally hub. The keyboard is plugged into port #1 in the hub. My Iomega Zip CD drive is plugged into the #1 hub in the side of the iMac.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.</STRONG>
I also have an Iomega zip drive and as of yesterday, when it's connected at startup, the computer (Imac DV 400) won't startup. This occured right after software update installed new burner software, an updated dvd player and a colorsynch and applescript update.
I can't get the burner working at all now and have to disconnect it (no hub involved) just to get the computer to work.
Did you recently run software update?

Forum Links
Forum Rules