Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help me decide...

Help me decide...
D3k61
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2005, 11:17 PM

I've read all the rumours about possible Powerbook updates in September but I need to buy one in the next week or so for work purposes (i'm a freelance graphic designer). I can't wait until September to buy so...

I can't decide if the 15" is worth the extra money compared to a 12". I like the fact that the 12" is so small and given that the PB will spend most of it's time hooked to my lcd here at home or to an lcd at the company i'm contracting for the 1024x768 doesn't bother me too much. I'm wondering if the Mobility Radeon 9700 with 64mb is a lot better than the GeForce FX Go5200 with 64mb. The illuminated keyboard and S-Video seem to be the other major differences along the possibility to add up to 2gb of ram.

I keep going back and forth thinking one is the better buy that the other. Help me please!

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 24, 2005, 11:34 PM

Actually, the 12" powerbook connecting to an external LCD will provide better than 1024 x 768 resolution.
NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 graphics processor with AGP 4X support and 64MB of DDR SDRAM video memory (12-inch models)
Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports up to 1024 x 768 pixels on the built-in display and up to 2048 x 1536 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

warra
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2005, 11:35 PM

First of all, the powerbook update will include only minor changes. The next big powerbook update will be next year.

Second, if you need the computer now then buy it, if you are able to wait, then wait.

Third, if you are in graphic design, it might be better to go with the 15 inch since apparently, the screen is better. Although, I just ordered and received my pb12 last week, and the screen seems fine to me. I have never compared it to a pb15, but the pb12 has a wide viewing angle so you wont really see discoloration or inverted colors at different angles. The most I noticed it from was the top.

Fourth, both have 64mb of vram, so there is not that much difference. True, the 9700 is better than the go5200 but with the same amount of vram they will not differ much.

If you travel alot look into the 12, if you stay at an office or home more, go for the 15.
PB12 / 1.5 / 80 / 1.25 / SD

budster101
Baninated
Aug 24, 2005, 11:40 PM

Actually, the 15" 1.67Ghz PB is where it get's a boost to 128mb VRam. (Superdrive Model)

---

This may help you decide as well.

D3k61  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2005, 11:54 PM

I'm aware that I can get higher res than 1024x768 with the 12" hooked up to an external monitor, that's why I mentioned the low res isn't a big concern. I'm wondering if the extra's you get with the 15" is worth the extra cash.

budster101
Baninated
Aug 24, 2005, 11:57 PM

Great to hear you knew that, but you failed to make it clear to those you were soliciting advice from.

Can you read? Yes? Just making sure:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....1.1.1.0.0.1.0

Go and read.

D3k61  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2005, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
Great to hear you knew that, but you failed to make it clear to those you were soliciting advice from.

Can you read? Yes? Just making sure:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....1.1.1.0.0.1.0

Go and read.
Wow, that was pretty snarky. I wasn't trying to brush off your help in fact I made the title of my reply "Thanks for the help" but I don't see that anywhere. Oh well I was just looking for some opinions from people that may have had to make the same decision in the past.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2005, 03:17 AM

Does gigabit ethernet matter to you? The 12" doesn't have it.

I personally went for the 12". If you're using external lcd's most of the time, the extra 3" won't matter. However, there could be a bigger difference if you're looking at the 15" superdrive model.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2005, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by D3k61
Wow, that was pretty snarky.
It seems that the anonymity of internet forums really brings out the "inner ---hole" in some people. Ignore the prepubescent jerks, and enjoy the interaction among the civil majority here.

You'll find other similar threads here with others trying to make the same decision you're trying to make, and many posters have added their $.02 worth.

If you do graphic design, I agree with warra that you'd find the 15" PB easier to work with, with more screen real estate, and a much better quality screen (the 12" PBook screen is supposedly the same one used in the 12" iBook). However, if you plan to mainly use an external display at the office, then the portability of the 12" PBook may be attractive.

Good luck with your decision!

iBorg

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2005, 04:48 AM

I'd go for the 15", I use it myself for graphic work, and also plan on connecting it to an external LCD(don't have it yet). But this is where the 15" wins it for me :

• I take the PB to the client and make presentations, I think the 12" is too small to do that;
• the 15" can take up to 2GB DDR, where the 12" is maxed out at 1,256GB DDR (unless a 2GB module is an option);
• also you can get the 15" with 128MB VRAM, which is interesting.

I love my 15" and will never replace it. Portability is no issue, just get a good bag. good hunting

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

D3k61  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2005, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the advice... I hadn't thought of the advantage of the 15" for client presentations. That's a pretty good reason to get the larger screen. I also wasn't aware that the quality of the lcd in the 15" is superior to the 12". I'm leaning towards the 15" now.

Thanks again

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2005, 12:56 PM

Wait if you can. If only for the standard ram to get bumped up as well.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 25, 2005, 01:31 PM

Actually, the Radeon Mobility 9700 is a lot more powerful than the Go5200. But unless you're a gamer, or really care that Exposé be silky smooth even with a second huge display attached, it probably won't matter, since most apps aren't really dependent on GPU performance.

tooki

D3k61  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2005, 06:43 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I placed an order today for the following:

1.67GHz 15" PowerBook
128mb vram
512mb ram (I'll add another 512mb when I get the PB)
80gb drive
Combo drive (I have a firewire Plextor dvd burner)

I wanted to wait until the Paris Expo to see what if anything gets updated on the PowerBooks but ran out of time. I desperately need the PowerBook for work so I hope the new PB announcements don't make me cry.

Now the waiting begins :O

Decker

d.fine
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2005, 03:54 AM

Congrats!! Time wont go fast enough But when you open the box .... Have fun!!

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Forum Links
Forum Rules