Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is g77 in Xcode?

Is g77 in Xcode?
bmuki
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2005, 07:19 PM

I have a basic confusion. Xcode 2.2 include GCC 4. GCC 4 includes g77. When I type "gcc -v" in terminal, it spits out:

Using built-in specs.
Target: powerpc-apple-darwin8
Configured with: /private/var/tmp/gcc/gcc-5247.obj~4/src/configure --disable-checking -enable-werror --prefix=/usr --mandir=/share/man --enable-languages=c,objc,c++,obj-c++ --program-transform-name=/^[cg][^.-]*$/s/$/-4.0/ --with-gxx-include-dir=/include/c++/4.0.0 --build=powerpc-apple-darwin8 --host=powerpc-apple-darwin8 --target=powerpc-apple-darwin8
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5247)

I don't see g77 listed where it says "enable-languages." So I installed g77 via Fink. However, it bugs me that I don't know if it's redundant or not. ...So is g77 in Xcode or not?

Thanks.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2005, 04:16 PM

[motherg4:~] whschult% locate g77
/usr/share/vim/vim62/compiler/fortran_g77.vim
/Volumes/Spare/sw/bin/g77
/Volumes/Spare/sw/fink/10.4-transitional/stable/main/finkinfo/languages/g77.info
/Volumes/Spare/sw/fink/10.4-transitional/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/languages/g77_3.4.3-12_darwin-powerpc.deb
/Volumes/Spare/sw/fink/10.4-transitional/unstable/main/finkinfo/languages/g77-3.4-20031015-2.info
/Volumes/Spare/sw/fink/10.4-transitional/unstable/main/finkinfo/languages/g77.info
/Volumes/Spare/sw/fink/debs/g77_3.4.3-12_darwin-powerpc.deb
/Volumes/Spare/sw/lib/libiberty-g77.a
/Volumes/Spare/sw/share/doc/g77
/Volumes/Spare/sw/share/doc/g77/ChangeLog
/Volumes/Spare/sw/share/doc/g77/COPYING
/Volumes/Spare/sw/share/doc/g77/COPYING.LIB
/Volumes/Spare/sw/share/info/g77.info
/Volumes/Spare/sw/share/vim/vim63/compiler/fortran_g77.vim
/Volumes/Spare/sw/var/lib/dpkg/info/g77.list

Nope. It's not in Xcode.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

wgscott
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2005, 09:53 PM

g77 3.4.x is the last g77 that the FSF produced. Xcode2.x comes with gcc4.0.x, which does not have g77. The full gcc4.x comes with the successor, gfortran, but Apple's does not. Hence installing g77 via fink was the right thing to do, and it is not redundant. g77 still works better than gfortran for many things. You can install gfortran with fink's gcc4 package, but it is an old version that leads to many compile failures and runtime errors in my hands. You can get a newer, less broken gfortran from the FSF if you need it. But I would stick with g77.

bmuki  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2005, 01:10 PM

I have since seens a lot of forum posts by veteran g77 programmers who mentioned they used fink to install, strongly implying Xcode 2.2 does not include it. Thanks for the confirmation.

I have also read the gfortran authors' statement that gfortran isn't 100% ready, so g77 is still the way to go. Thanks.

OreoCookie
Dec 28, 2005, 02:30 PM

Last I remember is that you can install the gnu compiler suite in different versions with XCode (it's in Options > Legacy or something like that). It should be included in version 3.4.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

wgscott
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2005, 03:35 PM

Apple has never included Fortran.

You can stick with the latest version of Xcode, but if you install Xcode2.2, be sure to compile and install the very latest version of fortran in Fink's unstable (3.4.3-12). If you have Xcode 2.1, any of the fink fortran packages should work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules