Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Should I get a MBP?

Should I get a MBP?
Yaztromo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2006, 10:21 AM

Im looking for a laptop which will play games such as Battlefield 2, Half Life 2, and Battle for Middle Earth II. I really love the MBP's size. My concerns are with the video card in the MBP and if I should wait for the 2.33 Dual Core or if I should just buy now. I need this laptop to last me 3 years and still run the top games decently.

Can I upgrade the MBP video card later? or is that not possible. I have a Dual 1.8 G5, and I love Tiger, so I know Mac is great, im just wondering if NOW is a good time to get the MBP. Also I've heard that there are heating and fan issues with the MBP...

Thanks

jhonizzle
Forum Regular
May 8, 2006, 10:37 AM

"I need this laptop to last me 3 years and still run the top games decently." that will never happen... every year the hardware demands just about double. i mean just 2 years ago i had the top rig to run DOOM 3, and HL2... now running UT 2k7 when it comes out will be a struggle. Upgrading the video crad would be pretty difficult, as far as running PC games goes, the ATI drivers that Apple has got aren't really up to par to runn all games well... BootCamp is still beta. if what your concerned about it Mobile Game play, either buy the Acer TravelMate, or wait until the new MBP's come out and BootCamp is final and no longer beta.

Yaztromo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2006, 02:50 PM

Well, I really only want to use the 17" MBP as a secondary gaming pc when I go to LAN's and play games like Battlefield 2, and some other RTS games, im fine with keeping settings medium, and Im pretty sure the MBP will be able to run expansions, and a few more big new multiplayer games in the next couple years... But its main purpose is I want to use OSX for a laptop for school and mobile video editing / capturing. :: Goes off to apple.com to purchase MacBook Pro ::
( Last edited by Goddard11; May 8, 2006 at 03:08 PM. )

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2006, 03:10 PM

I'm installing Battle for Middle Earth on my 17" MBP in a few minutes, I'll report back...

Yaztromo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2006, 07:45 PM

Cool thanks, and could you tell me the settings you have it on? thanks

also to test it better, put on a creater CP cap, so there will be more units

Thanks for trying that

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2006, 07:55 PM

I just played a little skirmish for a few minutes, and it is NOTICEABLY smother than my girlfriend's 3 Ghz Dell with 256MB PCI Express Graphics. I'll do whatever it is you said (I just bought the game this weekend) later tonight.

lookmark
Mac Elite
May 8, 2006, 07:55 PM

If you take good care of your MBP, there's always the "Jade plan." Due to the high resale value of Macs, you can get away with eBaying your old model (with just a little warranty time attached) every year and purchase the latest model for just a hundred or so more.

Otherwise, [wild guess] I think the current MBP will serve you well for the latest demanding games for the next 12-24 mo.[/wild guess]

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2006, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by lookmark
If you take good care of your MBP, there's always the "Jade plan." Due to the high resale value of Macs, you can get away with eBaying your old model (with just a little warranty time attached) every year and purchase the latest model for just a hundred or so more.
That's what I do. I haven't "paid" for an Apple laptop in a few years.

Yaztromo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2006, 09:08 PM

cool, thanks yeah ive berely had my G5 for a year now, thanks for the mac resale info.

Im ordering TONIGHT... I live in Southern California, and the Apple distribution plant is in Nor cal any guess on when I will actually recieve my MBP with the best shipping options Apple offers?

MacBook Pro 17"
2.16 Ghz Core Duo
2GB DDR2 RAM
100GB 7200RPM Drive

Yaztromo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2006, 02:25 AM

Officially puchased the MBP, ill post my thoughts on it and some benchmark tests for a lot of the games I have once i recieve it in about a week.

Thanks everyone for your answers

victorwu
Baninated
May 9, 2006, 01:03 PM

Just to let you know, if you plan on uprgrading the MacBook Pro in coming years, don't get Apple Care. Changing the hard drive or superdrive voids Apple Care. Opening the laptop, unless you are pretty damn slick, voids the warranty. I seriously doubt upgrading the video card will be an option, or a necessity in the next 3 years. With 256mb of VRAM, games fly on this thing. I'm not a huge gamer, but Doom 3 and Quake 4 run like demons on the MBP. I'm also running Bootcamp, and Windows games also run like the wind.
Word of advice: I'd supe up your MBP stock (except the ram, which you can get for 1/2 the price from Crucial), get Apple Care, and plan on leaving your laptop sealed for the next 3 years. Since it's a new product, it seems foolish not to get the extended service plan. happens.

Cheers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules