Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP lazy latch

MBP lazy latch
Yaztromo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 07:47 PM

I recieved my 17" MBP and I am absolutely pleased with it, runs hot, obviously and ive got windows running on it perfectly

The ONLY thing that bothers me is with one of the latches on the top of the screen (the ones that keep the laptop closed) This one latch will not stay hooked inside of the hole which the latches go into. It bothers me obviously and im wondering if I should take it to the apple store nearby and have them just adjust the latch or if I should try and contact apple.com for a full replacement

I REALLY dont want to have to send it back, but it seems like an easy fix they could do at the apple store, if the end of the latch were just a little longer (or somehow bent a little ) it looks like it would be locked into place.

any suggestions will help

masugu
Senior User
May 18, 2006, 07:53 PM

Take it to the store. Don't try it yourself. If it fails...then send it back. You paid too much to have such a basic function not work - IMHO :-)

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2006, 08:38 PM

take it the store
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

Yaztromo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2006, 02:09 PM

well, i went to the apple store and they said that they couldn't fix it there, but to replace the MBP or repair it, it would have taken a couple days, so as crazy as I am i decided to fix it myself

I took a needle nose plier and gripped the base of the latch then, i took another plier and gripped the end of the latch. I slowly twisted both pliers to bend the latch to make it go farther under the piece of metal which holds it down. I can't even tell that it is bent.

It worked and now it closes without the lazy latch unhooking, and I can even lift that side of the screen with quite a bit of force before that one latch comes free...

Not COMPLETELY perfect, but I think it was worth it instead of having to wait longer and not have a laptop during my first week of school... and besides I already have several programs installed...

The end

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 19, 2006, 02:12 PM

I'm glad it worked out. But just in case something else goes wrong with your computer that you can't repair yourself--never, ever tell anyone at Apple about your little repair. They might use it to deny you warranty coverage. I know its paranoid but coverage has been denied for less.

Yaztromo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2006, 02:16 PM

Yeah lol, Im not going to tell them, there isn't any evidence that it has been "worked on", but I guess I can always have it repaired later

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
May 20, 2006, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Goddard11

I REALLY dont want to have to send it back, but it seems like an easy fix they could do at the apple store, if the end of the latch were just a little longer (or somehow bent a little ) it looks like it would be locked into place.

any suggestions will help
dude make use of your warranty.. you paid for it..
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Yaztromo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2006, 01:34 PM

Yeah, ive decided to get it replaced even though i "kind of" fixed it...

oh well, i guess i have to wait some more

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2006, 01:41 PM

why replace something that you already fixed? INHO, humble is the keyword, why get a replacement when after you fixed it? also, you mentoned that you will now be computerless for the first couple of weeks of school? i wouldn't want to have to deal with that. my 2 cents. good luck with everything though.

Brass

Yaztromo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2006, 02:04 AM

Nah, i got this all worked out, Apple said I can order another MBP, and send back the defective MBP once I recieve the new one, and when they recieve the defective one, they will take the charge off the credit card

Thanks for all your comments

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2006, 02:10 AM

atleast you got a good deal out of it. congrats

Forum Links
Forum Rules