Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Latest parallels let's you use bootcamp partition!

Latest parallels let's you use bootcamp partition!
Weezer
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2006, 12:32 PM

( Last edited by Weezer; Dec 1, 2006 at 12:32 PM. Reason: edit: oops, used the wrong "lets", oh well can't edit it)

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

Weezer  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2006, 12:34 PM

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

Macola
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2006, 02:19 PM

I'll wait for some brave soul to try it first--my Boot Camp partition is critical to my work.

Anyone?
( Last edited by Macola; Dec 1, 2006 at 02:19 PM. Reason: typo)
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

badtz
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2006, 02:53 PM

This is HUGE news!!! Up until now, I only had Windows in Parallels, didn't go the bootcamp route. But I've always wanted the bootcamp partition for the speed + graphics, but didn't want to sacrifice the ability not to use in OS X.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2006, 03:19 PM

The integrated desktop support is kinda hack. All it does is make the Windows desktop transparent.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2006, 03:40 PM

Could someone explain this to me - what bonus is it to allow you to use your bootcamp partition? Does this mean that the graphic card is supported without any virtulization?

I mean lets face the majority of people who want virtulization (including myself) is to be able to play windows games @ full speed - has this come to fruition?
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2006, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by tkmd View Post
Could someone explain this to me - what bonus is it to allow you to use your bootcamp partition?
So you don't have to install two copies of Windows to use both parallels and bootcamp. Basically, it saves hard drive space.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2006, 05:54 PM

My god, this new version of Parallel's is a dream. The new "drag & drop" feature is excellent. Virtual PC used to have this, now it's back and better than ever within Parallels.

And this update is free to boot...way to go Parallel's!

Well done.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
The integrated desktop support is kinda hack. All it does is make the Windows desktop transparent.
I don't think there's any other way to do it.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2006, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
My god, this new version of Parallel's is a dream. The new "drag & drop" feature is excellent. Virtual PC used to have this, now it's back and better than ever within Parallels.

And this update is free to boot...way to go Parallel's!

Well done.
Yeah, it's so much better than how it was in VPC. With VPC you dragged a file onto VPC and then had to hold it there until VPC realized what you were doing. With Parallels, as soon as your cursor moves onto the Parallels window the cursor instantly changes to the standard file copy cursor (arrow with a green +) and the copy begins as soon as you release the mouse button.
Vandelay Industries

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2006, 08:15 PM

I just "upgraded" to the new Parallels--and now it doesn't recognize any USB devices anymore. I upgraded mainly on the hope that it would handle USB better than in version 1700!! Has nyone had any luck with USB printers and/or pen drives in 3036?? If I plug in a USB printer XP sees the printer just fine but I cannot print to it.

Its an amazing upgrade in that Windows runs much faster--just no USB.

AquaX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2006, 08:30 PM

I like the new coherent desktop, and the drag and drop support is better than VPC ever was. It also appears to be a little quicker than previous builds.

With that said, I was totally looking forward for the Boot Camp support. Unfortunately my Boot Camp partition is FAT32, so it doesn't work. I guess I'll have to wait until the next beta build.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2006, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by WizOSX View Post
I just "upgraded" to the new Parallels--and now it doesn't recognize any USB devices anymore. I upgraded mainly on the hope that it would handle USB better than in version 1700!! Has nyone had any luck with USB printers and/or pen drives in 3036?? If I plug in a USB printer XP sees the printer just fine but I cannot print to it.

I had the same problem. They did say it was a BETA version, though. I made a copy of my virtual machine before I tried it, and when I encountered the USB problem I reverted back to build 1970 for now.

When I have more time I'll investigate and play with it some more.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2006, 09:27 PM

My use Boot camp option isn't working? It just comes up "Unable to open disk image 'Boot Camp'"?
I have renamed the Windows partition Boot Camp (it was named Windows) But It still doesn't do anything.
OH I have just noticed that apparently (despite not being mentioned in the documentation) It doesn't work with FAT-32. Which makes it pointless for most people who already have Boot Camp as OSX can't write to NTFS.

dgorman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2006, 09:35 PM

I have linux on my boot camp parition, will this new version be able to use that (ext3)

Mithras
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2006, 10:03 PM

They say in the thread that the FAT-32 issue is a bug that they expect to resolve.
I'm loving the "coherence" mode -- it gets that big fat ugly Windows desktop out of my way, and lets me just use the couple of apps I need to without giving up an entire monitor.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2006, 10:11 PM

Mithras--where did you read that?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2006, 10:20 PM

My USB printer is instantly recognized and auto-connects at login perfectly. I'm really excited to see what else Parallel's can bring to the table in the next few months.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2006, 11:07 PM

….....................
Originally Posted by rickey939
My USB printer is instantly recognized and auto-connects at login perfectly. I'm really excited to see what else Parallel's can bring to the table in the next few months..

Mine connected fine too, it just wouldn't print. Did you succeed in printing? I just reverted back to version 1970 and it all works fine again.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2006, 11:29 PM

….....................

Mine connected fine too, it just wouldn't print. Did you succeed in printing? I just reverted back to version 1970 and it all works fine again.
Mine won't print either. It's a HP LaserJet 1320. It works fine in build 1970, except it usually blue-screens Windows shortly after finishing a job. I used a workaround to get around that issue.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2006, 11:35 PM

So far, so good for me with the new version. Haven't yet installed it on my Mac Pro, but on my MacBook Pro, its working quite well. I like the coherent desktop mode. Works well, is fast, and doesn't get in the way of my Mac apps - especially important on a small laptop screen. Will be less useful at home on my 30", but on-the-go its great.

My Boot Camp is an NTFS partition, but haven't tried it yet as my Boot Camp partition and my Parallels drive image have different apps on them.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2006, 12:00 AM

….....................

Yes, it's just fine. A Brother HL-2040 laser printer.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2006, 12:51 AM

With respect to supporting BootCamp partitions, do you have to install Windows on BC first and then use Parallels, or can you set things up in Parallels and then later on run BC?

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2006, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12 View Post
OH I have just noticed that apparently (despite not being mentioned in the documentation) It doesn't work with FAT-32. Which makes it pointless for most people who already have Boot Camp as OSX can't write to NTFS.
Convert FAT32 to NTFS (google it) and use Parallels to write to the NTFS partition.

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2006, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by JHromadka View Post
With respect to supporting BootCamp partitions, do you have to install Windows on BC first and then use Parallels, or can you set things up in Parallels and then later on run BC?
Well, as far as I know, you have to install Windows via BootCamp the normal way. Then you have to boot into windows and run the Parallels tools exe file for BootCamp. Then shut down Windows. Boot into OSX ad run Parallels and use the BootCamp partition as diskimage for Parallels.

Someone who knows first hand, correct me if I am wrong.

Sophus

smezjj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2006, 07:22 AM

I installed this build and lost my Vista VM - my XP works fine...

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2006, 10:38 AM

Wow. The drag-and-drop file feature and the coherence feature alone make this a very impressive update.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2006, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by smezjj View Post
I installed this build and lost my Vista VM - my XP works fine...
I don't think Vista works in this particular build as of yet.

dscottbuch
Dec 2, 2006, 12:19 PM

Don't Forget New Keymappings!!!

I don't know how many time I keep hitting command-C/command-V for copy/paste instead of ctrl-C/ctrl-V. Having these keys re-mapping is equally helpful!!!

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2006, 12:25 PM

what is the difference between virtural pc and paralles. Both you have to still boot up right in a virtural space type of thing. If I just have one app for windows would it be better to use boot camp or this paralles?

discotronic
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2006, 01:13 PM

Tried to boot off the WinXP Bootcamp partition and got a BSOD. I followed the directions exactly. I can't boot into the Bootcamp partition at all now. Time to do a reinstall. What can I say...beta software.

MagnusDredd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2006, 02:35 PM

For those of you who are more savvy than average...

I'd like to know if using the Boot camp image is any faster than using the Virtual Filesystem set-up that Parallels normally uses.

I think that it might be, due to the fact that with a Virtual Drive image, you're dealing with managing the file containing the virtual drive itself and that being read and the filesystem of the underlying host OS. Whereas with a native NTFS partition, there's no host file managment (resizing) issues, as well as not having another file system layer underneath it to deal with (less work to do).

Is there anyone here who has access to an Intel Mac with Parallels and is savvy enough to do some benchmarking? Photoshop, WinZip/WinRAR, and perhaps Windows Media player might make good benchmarking material.

Blasphemy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2006, 03:21 PM

Good comment magnus. That'd be good to know. I have xp installed under Parallels, but if a boot camp install running through Parallels is faster, I'll do that.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2006, 10:25 PM

Wow this new release is awesome! Kudos to the Parallels Team! I can't wait to see what they have in store for future updates and release.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2006, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Isn't that how Classic worked too?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2006, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Yep, more or less.

Blasphemy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2006, 02:00 AM

Coherence doesn't do anything for me when I click the button.
And I get a pop-up in the guest OS (winxpsp2) telling me Parallel Tools are out of date.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2006, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Not quite. In Classic, the Classic Finder never launched so there wasn't a desktop to hide. With Coherence in Parallels, they are visually hiding the desktop. Windows Explorer and therefore the desktop are still there but are suppressed. If you drag a PC app window around rapidly, you can see bits of the Windows desktop near the edges of the window.
Vandelay Industries

smezjj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2006, 04:13 AM

Blasphemy, I believe you need to have your VM set to full screen in order for Coherence to work. You also need to update your Parallel Tools by selecting "Install Parallel Tools" from the "Action" menu while your VM is running.

Blasphemy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by smezjj View Post
Blasphemy, I believe you need to have your VM set to full screen in order for Coherence to work. You also need to update your Parallel Tools by selecting "Install Parallel Tools" from the "Action" menu while your VM is running.
THANKS!! I did what you said and it works now.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2006, 10:45 AM

Great build. The auto-resolution to fit the Parallels window to the screen is awesome. Coherence works great (you just get a Windows Bar right above the OS X Dock - that's it). Haven't tried using Parallels with my Boot Camp partition because it's Vista. Overall, a very nice update. The animations of the Parallels dock icon are a nice touch.

nath
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by MagnusDredd View Post
For those of you who are more savvy than average...

I'd like to know if using the Boot camp image is any faster than using the Virtual Filesystem set-up that Parallels normally uses.
Afraid I have no benchmarks, but after a couple of days of messing about with two XP installs (both loaded around the same time, largely identical apps, etc) my experience is that the 'native' Parallels install is noticeably faster than the Boot Camp one, pretty much across the board - launching, starting apps, processes, etc, etc. Pretty unscientific, but that's my two pence....

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2006, 01:08 PM

how can parallels, which emulates the OS, be faster than native drivers video drivers and no emulation as in boot camp. Sorry I think that the fact that one has to reboot to get boot camp os up and running it may seem that the os is slower because of the wait associated with boot time.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

Blasphemy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2006, 01:11 PM

how can parallels, which emulates the OS, be faster than native drivers video drivers and no emulation as in boot camp. Sorry I think that the fact that one has to reboot to get boot camp os up and running it may seem that the os is slower because of the wait associated with boot time.
I think he's referencing using Parallels for both - in one, using Parallels to load and run Windows off the boot camp install. In the second, using Parallels's own VM.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2006, 05:49 PM

What? Parallels is NOT emulation. The ONLY reasons why Parallels could be slower than rebooting in to Windows are that, in Parallels Windows has no direct OS access to the hardware, and that the virtual machine doesn't do 3D yet.
The other reason why it may be slower is that with Parallels you have OSX then Parallels AND Windows, running all at once, while if you reboot straight in to Windows, that's all you are running.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 3, 2006, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by yoyoman View Post
what is the difference between virtural pc and paralles. Both you have to still boot up right in a virtural space type of thing. If I just have one app for windows would it be better to use boot camp or this paralles?
VirtualPC works on computers with the PowerPC processor, while Parallels works on Macs with Intel processors. This is critical; if you try running VirtualPC on an Intel Mac, it will have to "translate" the program via Rosetta, which will probably give you a horrible performance hit.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

poolmouse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2006, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12 View Post
What? Parallels is NOT emulation. The ONLY reasons why Parallels could be slower than rebooting in to Windows are that, in Parallels Windows has no direct OS access to the hardware, and that the virtual machine doesn't do 3D yet.
The other reason why it may be slower is that with Parallels you have OSX then Parallels AND Windows, running all at once, while if you reboot straight in to Windows, that's all you are running.
Intel� Virtualization Technology (Intel� VT)

...look at the demos on this page.

don

ophiochos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2006, 10:28 PM

I don't usually harp on about typos, but in the TITLE? "Let's" means "let us". You mean 'lets'. It's not even a plural!

boazh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2006, 11:00 PM

After installing the new Parallels Beta I can't boot to XP from the Boot Camp partition. Arrrr...
When I boot to XP using boot camp partition I get a screen that ask me to chose between XP and Parallels, but then my system will freeze, and non of the keys on the keyboard will work...i have to force **** down... I use MBP C2D...
I tried to go over the 28 pages on the Parallels Forum and gave up!
Does anyone has the same issue or know what to do?
Thanks,
PS, Parallels works fine in OS X using the boot camp partition.

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2006, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
VirtualPC works on computers with the PowerPC processor, while Parallels works on Macs with Intel processors. This is critical; if you try running VirtualPC on an Intel Mac, it will have to "translate" the program via Rosetta, which will probably give you a horrible performance hit.
Other than the fact that one is for intel and the other is for power pc what is the difference. Is one better than the other. Why did Microsoft stop supporting virtural pc? I just need one app that is on windows and the internet for that one app.

Forum Links
Forum Rules