Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > TOSLINK ---> coax (analog) converter for Airport Express ---> stereo connection

TOSLINK ---> coax (analog) converter for Airport Express ---> stereo connection
OreoCookie
Aug 29, 2007, 09:47 AM

I've bought an Airport Express and I'm very happy with the way it works, I finally have access to my whole music library. However, I think the sound quality is just ok, not as good as if I were to plug in my Mac directly into my stereo system (Marantz 4240 receiver + Wharfedale 70th Anniversary speakers).

Since the Airport Express base station also has an optical digital out, I thought there must be DA converters out there. However, I've had a hard time finding anything. If it were SPDIF ---> cinch, I could hook up my old MiniDisc player … 

Does anyone know of any affordable DA converters from (optical) TOSLINK to cinch? Or alternatively, how much are decent receivers with TOSLINK input?
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Aug 29, 2007 at 10:51 AM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OreoCookie  (op)
Aug 29, 2007, 11:47 AM

I've found two possible solutions: the first one is a dedicated studio ADDA-converter, Behring SRC2496, the second one is a USB-Audio interface, Edirol UA-1EX.

I'm not sure whether the USB audio interface actually works without a computer (I would plug it into the Airport Extreme's USB port if all it needs is port). The first solutions seems like overkill to me, but sensible if I want decent audio quality.

jebjeb
Senior User
Aug 29, 2007, 12:19 PM

I am not exactly sure what you mean by "cinch" as it is not a term I have heard before in the UK or Australia. From a quick look at Google, it appears that cinch is also a nother name for a RCA interconnect style coax digital connection.

If what you need is to convert the optical digital out of an APE to a co-ax digital connection, this is a great solution.

M-AUDIO - CO2 - Coaxial/Optical Bi-Directional Converter

They are about US$70 or less I think.

I am running one to convert the optical digital out of my HD Cable box to coax which connects to my Meridian DSP5000 digital speakers.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2007, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I've bought an Airport Express and I'm very happy with the way it works, I finally have access to my whole music library. However, I think the sound quality is just ok, not as good as if I were to plug in my Mac directly into my stereo system (Marantz 4240 receiver + Wharfedale 70th Anniversary speakers).

Since the Airport Express base station also has an optical digital out, I thought there must be DA converters out there. However, I've had a hard time finding anything. If it were SPDIF ---> cinch, I could hook up my old MiniDisc player … 

Does anyone know of any affordable DA converters from (optical) TOSLINK to cinch? Or alternatively, how much are decent receivers with TOSLINK input?
Playing music over Airport express shouldn't make a difference to the sound output quality. I don't think the Airport express alters the data it receives!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

jebjeb
Senior User
Aug 29, 2007, 12:32 PM

Ah, sorry. I have just read that you want to convert for the optical digital to stereo analog.

Best place to look is eBay or second hand hifi places for a DAC. Musical Fidelity makes some great older inexpensive ones. Even some of the older Meridian ones would be sweet and cheap.

jebjeb
Senior User
Aug 29, 2007, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
Playing music over Airport express shouldn't make a difference to the sound output quality. I don't think the Airport express alters the data it receives!!
True for digital, but the analogue output quality will differ between the APE, Mac etc due to the DAC built into those devices.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2007, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by jebjeb View Post
True for digital, but the analogue output quality will differ between the APE, Mac etc due to the DAC built into those devices.
Thats a good point, the DAC in a APE must be naff if there is a noticeable difference. What speakers are you connecting to the APE???

OreoCookie  (op)
Aug 29, 2007, 01:27 PM

Thanks for the input, guys!

@richwig
As far as I understand, jebjeb only wants to convert a digital optical signal into a digital coax signal. There is no loss of quality during the conversion, but I guess his amp/receiver doesn't have optical input.

Cinch: that's what is used here and I assumed this is the `English' term. I guess coaxial/coax is the one I'm talking about. I fixed that in the title, too.

@jebjeb
The converter you've linked to is a DD converter (optical to coax/digital), I need a digital-analog converter (my receiver is about as old as me, think early 80s ). However, essentially I'm thinking of such a small no-frills box such as the one you've linked to.

On ebay, I've only found DA converters for the price of a receiver with built-in DA converter (think €200+), so I don't really see the appeal of such a box. I'd like to spend about €120 tops for a solution with good sound quality, otherwise I'll just save up some money and replace my receiver with something new in a few months/half a year.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2007, 01:31 PM

I have a Marantz 4240 receiver connected to 70th Anniversary speakers by Wharfedale. I can `hear' the difference to directly connecting my ProBook/iPod, the sound is noticeably duller now. .
I have been contemplating getting one for a while now, but thats sure to put me off!

OreoCookie  (op)
Aug 29, 2007, 02:24 PM

I'm just very picky about sound … for average stereos it should be fine.
I'm certain I could hear a difference between my 2nd-gen iPod and my first-gen iPod nano as well (the nano has a lot better sound). Fortunately Apple has included a digital-out

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2007, 09:01 AM

"Cinch" is the German term for standard RCA connectors. I've only heard "coax" used to describe antenna/TV cables, or DIGITAL connectors.

The real problem with what you're asking is the word "affordable".

Because the general definition of an "affordable" D/A converter is *exactly* what you've ALREADY GOT built into the Airport Express. And unless you spend well beyond $100, you're probably unlikely to get anything much better.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2007, 09:17 AM

I've found two possible solutions: the first one is a dedicated studio ADDA-converter, Behring SRC2496, the second one is a USB-Audio interface, Edirol UA-1EX.

I'm not sure whether the USB audio interface actually works without a computer (I would plug it into the Airport Extreme's USB port if all it needs is port). The first solutions seems like overkill to me, but sensible if I want decent audio quality.
Behringer is COMPLETE overkill in terms of features - its feature-set is aimed to look like a "pro" studio converter (and it's a 19" rack model, of course), but at €165 list, when comparable "real" studio converters cost roughly five to ten times that, "decent" is not one of its features.

In fact, "decent" is a feature that Behringer devices haven't had since the black-face boxes designed in Germany by the man himself twenty years ago.

Sorry - I *really* don't like Behringer. (That is, I have a Behringer Studio Denoiser in the studio that's actually quite useful - but that, as mentioned, is black-face/red-label and rather old.)

OreoCookie  (op)
Aug 30, 2007, 10:00 AM

I was afraid you might say that. I suspected it's complete overkill, but I didn't know about Behringer's bad reputation.

Thing is, the amp is really good, I gave my old cheapo Sony amp to a friend of mine when I compared the two. In the meantime, I found out optical TOSLINK is the same (?) as optical SPDIF which I didn't, so I could actually resurrect my MiniDisk deck. It'll cost about 5-8 € in parts.

If I were to go for a new amp/receiver with optical digital in sometime in the future, what is the price range I start looking at (I don't want to downgrade from my current receiver either)?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2007, 10:34 AM

I honestly don't know.

But I sincerely doubt that the MiniDisk's D/A is much, if at all, superior to the Airport Express' output....

OreoCookie  (op)
Sep 1, 2007, 12:53 PM

I've successfully resurrected my MD-Deck (it was one of the best models back in the day) and the improvement is amazing. I've compared the MiniDisk deck directly to the analog out of the APE and the difference is astonishing/disappointing. Apple knew why they've included a digital out … 

I'm sure this will bridge the gap for some time

Forum Links
Forum Rules