Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Losers on craigslist trying to lowball my powerbook.

Losers on craigslist trying to lowball my powerbook.
krillbee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2007, 01:15 AM

So I'm selling my G4 notebook on craigslist. Here is the title which lists the specs and price:

Mac Powerbook: Titanium G4 550 mhz, 512 mb, 40 gb, cdrw, wireless - $300

Here is one email I got:

-----------
Hello.

I will offer you $200 cash today.
I work in your city.

I could offer $250 if it is in better
condition than the picture shows,
but the picture looks pretty rough.

Quinn
-------------
Pic for reference (showing worn paint)
http://i20.tinypic.com/ioeyk3.jpg

The idioacy of his email astounded me, but I simply ignored it.

Then I get another similar one today:
--------------------
Hi,

Is this still available? If so, would you consider $250? If that
works for you, I can pay cash in person ASAP. Please email back and
let me know. Thanks!

-Fred
---------------------

Here is what I wrote back:
---------------
Fred,
I'm sorry, but most people pay cash, so that fact that you are offering cash isn’t exactly something out of the ordinary to offer. Also, I'm not in a rush to sell it so, I won't be drastically cutting the price. I'm looking to get the most I can for it because it’s a good notebook. Therefore, I will not drop the price to $250 just for you. If I drop the price it will be in small gradual increments (not $50 at a time) and the new price will be posted in my ad for everyone to see and have a few days to respond to.

--Steve
----------------

( Last edited by krillbee; Oct 24, 2007 at 01:24 AM. )

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2007, 01:28 AM

Try asking 400

I was shopping for a mini recently, and there were lots of "losers" on craigslist who refused to accept that their year(s) old and even powerPC minis were still worth $500, when Apple themselves were selling the refurb 1.66 core duo for only $429, with a 1-year warranty. I explained reality to them, and they said I should just go to Apple. Their ads stayed up for weeks, they refused to budge, and I ended up going to Apple. :/

If your plan is to repost week after week until you chance one someone who falls for it, that's great, but calling those who don't fall for it "losers" suggests you're more impatient than you think you are. Posting on here to complain about it does too. YMMV

PS: Your picture does look like it's beat up. You should touch up the paint, because appearances hardly ever reflect the true condition, but they sure do make a buyer suspicious.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Oct 24, 2007, 01:29 AM

$300 is probably more than a fair price, but you gotta admit, your picture makes it look like you've been using it as a doorstop for the past year.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2007, 01:47 AM

Did the battery set on fire or something? That thing is pretty beat up.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 24, 2007, 02:00 AM

the pics
ice

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2007, 02:07 AM

300 dollars for a TiBook 550... I think that's pushing it. 200 dollars is more realistic. At least IMO.

Take the 250. It's not going to get any better. That thing can't run much of today's apps and if the battery isn't new, then it sure isn't worth 300.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Lava Lamp Freak
Oct 24, 2007, 02:19 AM

People almost always offer less than what you are asking. I give myself a $100 or so buffer so that I can negotiate and still come out with what I was shooting for. However, last month I had a display for sale that was just a few months old. Someone offered me half what I was asking. I didn't even respond to the e-mail I felt so insulted. I got another e-mail from him the next day. I responded that I would not take that amount for it considering that previous generations were selling for more than that on eBay and this one was almost brand new. (I was asking for $300 less than retail price, by the way. I was wiling to take even less.) Within an hour my post had been flagged as spam. Talk about a loser! I put it back up and someone had bought it by the end of the day. I got $100 less than I was asking for, which is what I was expecting to get.

In your case, if you aren't in a hurry just go ahead and wait it out. Maybe someone will come along and offer you $300, but more than likely every offer will be for $250 at the most just considering how people always offer less than what something is listed at.

I think the picture is ok for a TiBook of that age. Anyone who has owned one knows that the paint flakes off like that.

krillbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2007, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Try asking 400

I was shopping for a mini recently, and there were lots of "losers" on craigslist who refused to accept that their year(s) old and even powerPC minis were still worth $500, when Apple themselves were selling the refurb 1.66 core duo for only $429, with a 1-year warranty. I explained reality to them, and they said I should just go to Apple. Their ads stayed up for weeks, they refused to budge, and I ended up going to Apple. :/

If your plan is to repost week after week until you chance one someone who falls for it, that's great, but calling those who don't fall for it "losers" suggests you're more impatient than you think you are. Posting on here to complain about it does too. YMMV

PS: Your picture does look like it's beat up. You should touch up the paint, because appearances hardly ever reflect the true condition, but they sure do make a buyer suspicious.
I'm not saying that I'm going to refuse to budge. But dropping the price from $300 to $250 or $300 to $200 on the fly because a buyer thinks my price is too high? I'm going to drop it in $20 increments at the most and I'll wait a few days each time before dropping it again.

I'm not going to let a buyer talk me into lowering the price on the computer because of the paint chipping, its a frickin 6 year old computer, who cares how it looks? It's not like its a car I'm selling them. lol.

Does anyone even know how to repaint a powerbook? I sure don't. Would it be worth the cost of time and materials to repaint the whole notebook for the additional value I might get selling it? Probably not.
But if the buyer really cares then they can waste their time doing it.

Originally Posted by keekeeree View Post
$300 is probably more than a fair price, but you gotta admit, your picture makes it look like you've been using it as a doorstop for the past year.

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Did the battery set on fire or something? That thing is pretty beat up.
its just worn paint, probably from sweaty palms, not a cavity in the plastic or anything like that.
( Last edited by krillbee; Oct 24, 2007 at 03:18 AM. )

krillbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2007, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
300 dollars for a TiBook 550... I think that's pushing it. 200 dollars is more realistic. At least IMO.

Take the 250. It's not going to get any better. That thing can't run much of today's apps and if the battery isn't new, then it sure isn't worth 300.

V
With 10.4 it will run most of today's apps

Why don't I try selling it for 280, 260, 240, 220 before dropping it all the way down to $200 though? I

FYI the battery has about 3-4 hours of life in it.

krillbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2007, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
People almost always offer less than what you are asking. I give myself a $100 or so buffer so that I can negotiate and still come out with what I was shooting for. However, last month I had a display for sale that was just a few months old. Someone offered me half what I was asking. I didn't even respond to the e-mail I felt so insulted. I got another e-mail from him the next day. I responded that I would not take that amount for it considering that previous generations were selling for more than that on eBay and this one was almost brand new. (I was asking for $300 less than retail price, by the way. I was wiling to take even less.) Within an hour my post had been flagged as spam. Talk about a loser! I put it back up and someone had bought it by the end of the day. I got $100 less than I was asking for, which is what I was expecting to get.

In your case, if you aren't in a hurry just go ahead and wait it out. Maybe someone will come along and offer you $300, but more than likely every offer will be for $250 at the most just considering how people always offer less than what something is listed at.

I think the picture is ok for a TiBook of that age. Anyone who has owned one knows that the paint flakes off like that.
Everyone on craigslist always lowballs. It's hillarious because I will offer an amazing price on something and they still will say "30 bucks for that 512 mb pc133 sodimm is an awful lot, ill give you $15"

The thing that these people don't realize is that it IS insulting when they offer such little. It insults my intelligence level or it insults the products I have. Like the guy who was ripping on my Powerbook because of the paint chipping. Like you said, that kind of shape is typical for a Powerbook that age, and note that its only the white paint that is seriously wearing out, the gray paint is fine for some odd reason.

I'm not going to try to get $300 for it. I already did try and there hasnt been any serious offers in a week so I'm going to drop the price just a little, but in $20 increments, not in $100 increments like the one guy was asking.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2007, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by krillbee View Post
With 10.4 it will run most of today's apps

Why don't I try selling it for 280, 260, 240, 220 before dropping it all the way down to $200 though? I

Don't get me wrong, I wish you all the best. Just if you could accept 250 you should consider it. Time is money as well and you got to weigh if your time is worth the 50 dollars you might get..

Anyway.. good luck!

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2007, 03:25 AM

The idioacy of his email astounded me,
irony

Anyway, that POS isn't worth $300.

What you are looking for is a sucker so try eBay. Someone who knows better wouldn't pay your price. It isn't even inline with other over valued eBay powerbooks in better condition.

Try listing it in the Marketplace forum and see what kind of offers you get. My guess is you'd be lucky to get an offer of $200 with this crowd.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

osxpinot
Senior User
Oct 24, 2007, 04:19 AM

Why don't you calm down like a lot? People are looking for a good deal. I don't see anything outrageous in those emails. Pop a xanax or something...

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2007, 05:47 AM

I'm not going to let a buyer talk me into lowering the price on the computer because of the paint chipping, its a frickin 6 year old computer, who cares how it looks? It's not like its a car I'm selling them. lol.
Hmmmm, why are we Mac users again? Because....

WE CARE HOW OUR COMPUTER LOOKS!

I personally consider my 2 year old iPod junk when I buy a new one cause it's got a few scratches. I doubt anyone would want it - I wouldn't.

jebjeb
Senior User
Oct 24, 2007, 06:04 AM

Why not make a counter offer with that guy? Just like you don't expect to get your full asking price, do you think that 250 is the highest he is prepared to go? You appear to have a strange way of negotiating.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2007, 06:56 AM

It's not insulting, it's just negotiation. Counter offer and tell the guy that $280 is your absolute lowest. If he'll pay that, it's his. Of course, you've already been rude to him, so he may not go for it. No one is going to pay the price you put in the ad. It's just a psychological thing - they have to bring you down some amount. If you want to be stubborn about it, then keep your Mac.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2007, 07:44 AM

"30 bucks for that 512 mb pc133 sodimm is an awful lot, ill give you $15"
If you drop your price by $2 each week starting today, I may buy your 512MB on Dec 12.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2007, 07:56 AM

Why be insulted? It's negotiation. I never just pay the asking price on CL. $250 sounds like a fair deal to me.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2007, 09:40 AM

Do you guys watch The Price is Right with BOB BARKER?

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 24, 2007, 10:04 AM

Was that a rainman impression?

zro
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2007, 10:46 AM

I'm with Ice. You need better pics. That thing looks like it's covered in mud.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2007, 10:49 AM

after looking at the picture, i'm thinking the guy offering $200-$250 was being generous. I'll have to agree, $300 is to much.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2007, 11:05 AM

I'll give you $150 for it.

Cash.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

paul w
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2007, 11:16 AM

Somehow I find this hard to believe. Unless you mean total life...

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2007, 01:48 PM

i wouldnt believe it even if it were a new battery.

i wouldnt give more than 175 for that
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2007, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
Somehow I find this hard to believe. Unless you mean total life...

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2007, 02:09 PM

Btw, I wouldn't even pay $ 300 fake Western Union check for it if it really is in the condition that the pic shows.

-t

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2007, 02:10 PM

I agree with most of the replies on here. Your laptop looks pretty beat, even if it is "only paint", it looks awful. Its only a 550 MHz G4, and being a 6-year old laptop, the life on the LCD (backlight), the hard drive, the battery, etc can't be that awesome either.

Salvage here on campus was selling 800 MHz TiBook's in almost perfect condition for $400 - $450. You selling one at about half the speed with trashed paint for $300 seems like your hoping for a sucker. I'd pay about $200 at the most for it, and it seems like others agree.

Don't take offense that people are emailing you with fair offers, it at least shows that they are still interested and willing to pay you what it is actually worth.
yep.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2007, 04:28 PM

i love how the thread title bashes those with common sense.

maybe i should start a 'losers who think they could sell their POS looking computers online for more than they're worth then complain when reality slaps em in the face' thread.

no offense but you should really double think your wording.

edit: incorrect use of they're and their.
( Last edited by iREZ; Oct 24, 2007 at 05:17 PM. )
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2007, 04:31 PM

I love it when people put listings on cl saying "this is worth X on eBay".

If it's worth so f---ing much on eBay, why the f--- didn't you list it on eBay in the first place?

Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2007, 05:01 PM

If you can't handle lowballs, don't put it on craigslist.

Cold Warrior
Oct 24, 2007, 05:18 PM

It looks like ass. Maybe the low-res picture is blotching some of the areas. But if that's the way it really looks, and a higher-res pic makes it look worse, then you're lucky to have gotten the offers you did.

If it looks jacked up, it probably is.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2007, 05:59 PM

I have to agree with Cold Warrior for once - it looks like ass.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2007, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
If you can't handle lowballs, don't put it on craigslist.
Also, don't ask me on a date. HEY-OOOOOOOOo.

Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2007, 09:05 PM

krillbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2007, 11:37 PM

ok so is it worth the 5 hours to repaint it, so that it doesnt look like ass?

has anyone actually ever repainted their mac notebook before?

Lava Lamp Freak
Oct 24, 2007, 11:57 PM

ok so is it worth the 5 hours to repaint it, so that it doesnt look like ass?

has anyone actually ever repainted their mac notebook before?
Considering it will cost you $20 + shipping for the paint, I would say not worth it.

TiPaint.com: PowerBook G4 paint touch-up kit
0155044349 Pro-TiPaint Touch-up Kit for all G4 Titanium PowerBooks, Apple Mac and iPod Accessories

MM-o4
Senior User
Oct 25, 2007, 12:17 AM

dood that is really scratched up. take what you can get, seriously.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2007, 12:32 AM

Who says it has to be the perfect color, or the perfect repaint job? Just get it so the picture doesn't look like ass. As long as the machine actually works, once someone has driven over to see it they won't care that you repainted in a slightly different color. But the way it is now in the picture says "run."

krillbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2007, 01:45 AM

Maybe I should shut the lid and then take a picture? lol!

Or maybe I just shouldnt include a pic.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 25, 2007, 04:53 AM

Or maybe I just shouldnt include a pic.
Then that would be dishonest... esp if someone was expecting a not beat up PB.

You've been told what it is worth. Just because you are going to get less out of it than you want, doesn't mean you should revert to dishonest tactics.

Oct 25, 2007, 09:21 AM

That's a great price. I'd buy it for $300 if you were here in Florida. Give it to my kid. Don't take a dime less. Say "$300 FIRM."

krillbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2007, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by  View Post
That's a great price. I'd buy it for $300 if you were here in Florida. Give it to my kid. Don't take a dime less. Say "$300 FIRM."
Thanks!

Good to know there is someone here who thinks the way I think. Given that the battery seems like its brand new, and the notebook is in good running condition, I'd also say it's a good price. I don't see how a few paint chips can reduce the price that much. I mean its a computer I'm selling not a car for crying outloud, lol!

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 25, 2007, 09:51 AM

Because it looks like it's been beaten up. That ALWAYS devalues a product.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2007, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by  View Post
lol

see krill... like I said, what you need is a sucker.
As was just proven they aren't hard to find. You aren't going to get that asinine price from a person who knows Macs though.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2007, 01:52 PM

It's good advice though to add "firm" to your add, if you're too thin-skinned to be exposed to haggling

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2007, 02:07 PM

FYI, $250, when you're asking $300, is not a lowball offer. Lowballing is when the person offers you less than half of what you're asking for.

IMO, $250 is pretty good considering the condition, you should strongly consider it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2007, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Lowballing is when the person offers you less than half of what you're asking for.
My favorite Craigslist tactic is showing up with less money than was agreed to and arguing that you don't have any more cash than that. They always seems surprised when I tell them to take a hike.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2007, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
My favorite Craigslist tactic is showing up with less money than was agreed to and arguing that you don't have any more cash than that. They always seems surprised when I tell them to take a hike.
Yeah, I've had the happen too. Less than half the buyers I've dealt with on Craig's list have brought the right amount of money, or even bothered to show up at all.

Now I only use the local papers that deal exclusively with classifieds, around here the largest are the Thrifty Nickel and Bargain Mart.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 25, 2007, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
You serious? DO they ever say "Oh, I found the extra money" and pay for it or do they leave?

Forum Links
Forum Rules