Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Qn regarding Nov 07 MacBooks

Qn regarding Nov 07 MacBooks
andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2007, 01:39 PM

Hi,

(a) Any of you guys out there with one of the new MacBooks (2.0GHz or 2.2GHz) able to run the restore discs on any other Macs?

(b) Or have Apple restricted the latest MacBooks' Restore discs to machine-specific discs?

2. What about trying to boot a Retail Leopard DVD onto the new MacBook... will it boot?

Thanks...
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

ibook_steve
Nov 14, 2007, 02:52 PM

Restore disks that come with a machine are only good for that machine or any older machines. Retail disks are only good for existing machines that are not newly released. So for the newest Macbooks, the disks that come with them should boot the Macbooks and any older machine that supports Leopard (no newer, future machines), while the retail disks will not boot the newest Macbooks or any future machines. This was especially frustrating with Tiger because of the Intel transition in the middle of its life cycle. If you had a new Intel Mac and lost the restore disks that came with it, you could not purchase and use retail Tiger because Apple, for some reason, never updates the version of the retail OS to make it compatible with newer machines.

There are some exceptions with some machines, but what I've detailed above is generally the case. Mactracker is handy for finding out what build of the OS came with a Mac so you can know that the build you have, if it's the one listed or newer, will work with that Mac.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

andretan  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2007, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Restore disks that come with a machine are only good for that machine or any older machines. Retail disks are only good for existing machines that are not newly released. So for the newest Macbooks, the disks that come with them should boot the Macbooks and any older machine that supports Leopard (no newer, future machines), while the retail disks will not boot the newest Macbooks or any future machines. This was especially frustrating with Tiger because of the Intel transition in the middle of its life cycle. If you had a new Intel Mac and lost the restore disks that came with it, you could not purchase and use retail Tiger because Apple, for some reason, never updates the version of the retail OS to make it compatible with newer machines.

There are some exceptions with some machines, but what I've detailed above is generally the case. Mactracker is handy for finding out what build of the OS came with a Mac so you can know that the build you have, if it's the one listed or newer, will work with that Mac.

Steve
Hmm. Just to clarify things:

So IF I have a few Macs, say for example:
1) Intel iMac (the white one)
2) PowerBook G4
3) NEW Nov 07 MacBook

So if I go out and buy the Leopard Family Pack for (1) and (2), I can use it without any problems... am I correct?

BUT what if I lose the (3) MacBook's Restore DVD?
Will I not be able to use the Family Pack DVD to reinstall Leopard? Am I screwed?

Thanks
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

HowEver
Nov 14, 2007, 03:37 PM

You can use the retail or family pack Leopard disks on any Mac, including the new MacBooks.

You cannot use the MacBook OS restore disks on other models, possibly not even previous MacBooks.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2007, 03:54 PM

You can get replacement install discs from Apple for a nominal fee.

ibook_steve
Nov 14, 2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by HowEver View Post
You can use the retail or family pack Leopard disks on any Mac, including the new MacBooks.

You cannot use the MacBook OS restore disks on other models, possibly not even previous MacBooks.
I thought the newest MacBooks had a newer build than the retail release. If it is the same, then this is correct: the retail disks would work on the new MacBooks.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules