Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How many People still using Powerbooks?

How many People still using Powerbooks?
b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2008, 08:48 PM

I bought a Macbook Pro 2GHZ with the 256MB ATI Card when they first came out, and loved it. It was subsequently stolen and I replaced it with a 17" High Res Powerbook G4 MAXXED OUT. I am currently running Adobe CS2, I have not upgraded to CS3, and have not needed to with what I am doing. I have noticed no difference between my Macbook Pro and this Powerbook G4 17" running these Apps, and I am currently running Leopard. I know that the the CS2 suite runs it natively, and that the intel machines run it in emulation, or rosetta..I think. Anyways, I have been toying with picking up a 17" HD Macbook Pro, but am on the fence. How many of you are stilling Rolling with PPC Club?
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.5GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 120GB
 Macbook Black / 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2008, 09:56 PM

Me, for one. I occasionally play with MB and MBPs, and for the tasks I use it for (writing, web browsing, page layout, photo management) I notice no compelling difference.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2008, 09:57 PM

I'm still using my 867 MHz G4. I need to upgrade I guess, so I'm saving for a MacBook Pro, but I love the 12" form factor.

gse1woody
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2008, 10:15 PM

I am running a PBG4 17" 1.67GHz. I just maxed out the ram @ 2GB and put in a 250GB hard drive. I am still stubborn and prefer PPC to intel. For normal use and applications my PB out runs my wife's MacBook and my neighbor's intel iMac.
( Last edited by gse1woody; Jan 21, 2008 at 12:39 AM. )

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2008, 10:15 PM

i'm still using 12" powerbook but it is really for web surfing, just too slow to do anything else. I am more and more in love with the macbook.

b1NARY73  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2008, 10:28 PM

I have a 24" iMac..last revision of white before the aluminum, and I truly see no difference in speed in what I do...ad designs for flyers, magazines, websites, photography and some movie encoding ( the iMac is noticeably faster at that I may add ). I may just wait for the next revision of MBP's and buy a refurbished last generation of MBP 17". It's funny, as I get older, I am so more hesitant to part with my money on a whim like I used to be in my early 20's. I used to have the latest Powerbook every time they refreshed, selling my old one on eBay, and plunking down the difference in cash...it adds up after a while.

One thing is definitely different...I always used to have a Mac Tower, and I have not had one since my Dual 1.42 tower. My iMac is as close to a desktop I have been since that. Funny.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2008, 10:32 PM

Still using my 2003 1Ghz 15" PowerBook, running Leopard and anything I need it to. It is feeling a bit long in the tooth though for some things, and I'll be picking up a 15" MacBook Pro this summer. Looking forward to a faster processor, more RAM, better graphics card, and a bigger hard drive. I never notice that I'm running a "PPC" chip though. It just feels like an older Mac.

b1NARY73  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2008, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
Still using my 2003 1Ghz 15" PowerBook, running Leopard and anything I need it to. It is feeling a bit long in the tooth though for some things, and I'll be picking up a 15" MacBook Pro this summer. Looking forward to a faster processor, more RAM, better graphics card, and a bigger hard drive. I never notice that I'm running a "PPC" chip though. It just feels like an older Mac.
What was the video card in that particular model? was that a 64MB Radeon?

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2008, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by b1NARY73 View Post
What was the video card in that particular model? was that a 64MB Radeon?
That's the one. A 9600. It's running a 22" display right now, and I play Halo and UT2004 on it, but I'd like a newer card for Aperture and some new games that I'd run under Boot Camp.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jan 20, 2008, 10:50 PM

Using a last gen 12" PB here. Leopard has made it a little slower, especially Safari-wise, but the size and feel of it keeps me going ... and the rest of what Leopard has to offer compensates for the speed hit. Had its logic board replaced under warranty a couple of years ago, and in fact had it repaired! not replaced about 9 months ago under consumer guarantees ... and it's been going happily since.

Bring on the 12" MBP ... as if it needs to be said any more.

b1NARY73  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2008, 10:51 PM

Yeah, that is why I bought the iMac... for CS:Source and Half life 2. About the only thing I use bootcamp for...other than updating my Blackberry OS.

b1NARY73  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2008, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post
Using a last gen 12" PB here. Leopard has made it a little slower, especially Safari-wise, but the size and feel of it keeps me going ... and the rest of what Leopard has to offer compensates for the speed hit. Had its logic board replaced under warranty a couple of years ago, and in fact had it repaired! not replaced about 9 months ago under consumer guarantees ... and it's been going happily since.

Bring on the 12" MBP ... as if it needs to be said any more.
Is that not what the Macbook Air is for?

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jan 20, 2008, 11:02 PM

Rather smaller (not thickness, more the 12"'s proportions), with a better graphics card, faster hard drive (than the base model at least), a lower price tag and user-removable/upgradable bits and pieces.

Also I've finally bought Age of Empires 3 after years of being a bit against it, and while it's not quite as good as 2, I would like to be able to play it at a more acceptable frame rate than my mac mini manages it through boot camp, especially in sea battles where the game actually just hangs until you pan away .

dmo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2008, 02:07 PM

It's maxed out on ram. I like it. Recently had it at the shop because logic board went out. I had apple care so no worries there. Also had them replace the screen because there was a black spot on it. It's like new now. I do want a MacBook (black), but that's just because I love the way it looks. I hope they come out with a 15"-er. That would be awesome. The 13" too small for me.

kretara
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2008, 02:18 PM

I have 3 PowerBooks that see regular use.

1. 15" 1.25Ghz PB -- this is my main laptop
2. 15" 800mhz PB
3. 15" 500mhz PB -- this is my wife's laptop

My daughter is running a 500mhz iBook.

I am looking to sell my 2 PowerBooks so that I can move up to a MacBook Pro though.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2008, 02:34 PM

Still using my 1GHz PB 15" and still love it.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jan 22, 2008, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by b1NARY73 View Post
I have noticed no difference between my Macbook Pro and this Powerbook G4 17" running these Apps, and I am currently running Leopard.
It really just depends on how recent your PowerBook is. What's more important is the specifications of your notebook. The switch to Intel chips just means programmers had to rewrite their software to work optimally for it. If most of your applications are still made for PPCs without a free upgrade to Intel then it might be wise to stay with PPC until your computer is too slow for your liking or if you are already planning on upgrading your software. Although a lot of newer software are using universal binary so they will work well on both PPC and Intel Macs.

With that being said my 1GHz PowerBook is really showing its age. I still like it but I now only use it for emails and surfing the internet because it runs too slow for me doing anything else. I use my desktop for everything else and will eventually replace my also aging desktop with a MBP so that I will have both a portable powerful computer in one machine. It's rather annoying trying to sync everything between two computers.

idykenano
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2008, 05:13 PM

2 years ago I attempted to use a G3 powerbook at college... erk. the dead/no charge battery was a major downside. when the harddrive went caput I decided not to keep it up.
now my main machine is a G4 single processor 450mhz... but the ram is nearly maxed out. i love the computer, its more reliable than most computers I know (pc type) but I am saving for a macbook.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2008, 05:18 PM

am still using my last gen 12" powerbook (along with a new mini); have been waiting for a 12" mbp (not the air), and...am still waiting.

am okay, in leopard, for most things, but cannot, alas run my main app (reason 4) on it.
still...am stalling off replacing it, in the hope that... sigh....
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2008, 05:27 PM

The 1.67 powerbooks are 2 and a bit years old - that's well within the range of life I look for in a laptop.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2008, 05:00 AM

My wife uses her 867Mhz 12" Powerbook everyday for web, mail and generally running her business on. She won't swap it for anything as she loves the size.

It's maxxed out RAM wise and running Leopard pretty OK.

A proper 12" replacement at MW might have swung her but she's not moved by the Air and the MacBook is too big for her.

mad cow disease
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2008, 10:25 AM

Me.

I'm going to use this until it falls apart.

Cipher13
Jan 23, 2008, 10:35 AM

I'm still using an iBook G3 900 alongside other machines. One of the best machines I've ever owned.

JerseyShore
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2008, 11:33 AM

Just replaced original Titanium's hard drive with a 120GB drive and upgraded RAM. Runs great under Leopard. But work is pretty fed up with Dell PCs and is willing to let me upgrade to a MacBook Pro -- either running Citrix or more likely Windows XP Professional. Question is whether to wait for next update.

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2008, 02:34 PM

Here's one. Still going strong after almost three years(celebrations on the 24th of February). If I get the opportunity to own a MBP I'll go for it.
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2008, 02:34 PM

I have just bought a 15" 1,67 GHz PowerBook from another member here, so yes, I still have in mind to use a PowerPC laptop for a while, fact is, it's the fastest PowerPC Mac notebook ever made and no Apple announcement is gonna change that…

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2008, 03:05 PM

That's a great machine - it has a few years life in it still!

Breckenridge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2008, 04:01 PM

I still use my 12" PB when on the road, I encode lots of real estate property videos, at least one per day, and let the true be told: My 12" PB takes about 5-6 times slower than any of the modern mac intel machines I own.

I still love the 12" the best for it's size and not for it's power.
Colorado Real Estate Agents with Macs

Kyros
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2008, 04:16 PM

I have the last gen 12 inch G4 powerbook, and I plan on using it for at least 2 more years. Of course, at that point I will be just out of undergraduate, and looking for graduate school/some work experience, which probably means I won't have the money for an upgrade, so this will probably have to last me 3-4 more years. Shouldn't be a problem, I have a Pismo I tinker with still, and it's about 7 years old, so I expect this one to last as long. I can't see myself needing more than surfing/word processing for a long time, and I can probably swing a low-end mini at one point if I really need some more power, or an intel machine.

This is the only new computer I've ever owned, so I'm used to using older hardware.

edit:
Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
I have just bought a 15" 1,67 GHz PowerBook from another member here, so yes, I still have in mind to use a PowerPC laptop for a while, fact is, it's the fastest PowerPC Mac notebook ever made and no Apple announcement is gonna change that…
This is exactly how I feel about my powerbook .
g4/1.5 GHz 12 inch powerbook / 1.25 RAM / 80 gig / Superdrive / 10.5.6
g3/400 MHz Pismo / 640 RAM / 40 gig / Combo Drive / 10.3.9

tcphoto
Jan 24, 2008, 09:10 AM

I have been using a maxxed out 15" 1.33 for my photo business. Whether I'm shooting in the studio or on location, I have my camera tethered to the PB. Yes, a new MPB would be a little faster but if it's not broke, don't fix it.

hanxu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2008, 12:37 PM

I am still using Powerbook G4 1.5GHz, I use it most frequent although I've got a new T61, due to work. The screen is much better than any laptop I've used, and PowerPC just give me a very solid feel than Intel. Although now it suffers from softwares like Office 2008 and newer iLife and Aperture and etc, but most other software are fine.

I was waiting for a new portable mbp, but was dissappointed by the air, might get a Macbook after next revision though.

hart
Senior User
Jan 24, 2008, 06:03 PM

me too. I'd list it's specs but the hard drive has died and it ain't working at the moment. 17" and about 2 years old I think.

I ran out of money before intel so I'm still working all PPC until I have the $$ to justify a new purchase. I spend a fair amount of time drumming my fingers trying to save my oversized photoshop files.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2008, 06:12 PM

Still use my G4 PB, it slipped off the car seat the other day and I am so glad it wasn't a brand new 'Book Pro. It runs Leopard, so I will keep it till it melts.

maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2008, 10:36 PM

I still use my PB 12' 1ghz sparingly with my new acquired MBP last revision 2.2Ghz. I might get an iMac for my wife pretty soon (she's on the stage of get tired with windows on and off problems)

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008, 06:45 PM

I still use a Pismo (PowerBook G3) for web, email, and watching DVD's in bed. My PowerBook G4 isn't so good at the last as the slot-load drive doesn't seem to mount around 1/3rd of disks correctly, so they spin up with rattle and hum -- not so nice. The G4 is still used for travel (one hinge in bust, so if it gets a bigger physical issue in transport oh well.

The Mac Portable doesn't get much use, other than as an exhibit when I want to show folks how we used to make computers.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2008, 10:24 PM

I got a rev B 12" PB as soon as they were announced - and now its been relegated to a "couch-web surfing" computer. But it still chugs along just fine. Great for surfing, email, ordering dinner, etc.

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2008, 10:45 PM

My main work machine is a 400mhz G3 pismo. I just upgraded it to 1 GB of ram. The battery doesn't work, but the rest of it mostly does. It can't keep up with youtube, but I'm probably better off that way, all things considered...

jacklazara
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2008, 08:58 AM

me.
i've got 15" 800mhz Power Book

Jens Peter
Senior User
Jan 27, 2008, 09:24 AM

I have a 12" 1.5Ghz that I use as my main computer - photos, coding, mail, surfing etc. I've upgraded the hard drive to a 160Gb - it runs smooth.

But write me on the list of people waiting for a 12" mbp....

Cold Warrior
Jan 27, 2008, 11:58 AM

Until October 2006 (when I got a MBP C2D), I was using a PB 12" 667MHz that I'd bought new in July 2003. A great machine. Quality build, reliable, fast.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2008, 12:12 PM

I use a PB 17" and I have 11 other PBs that we use in my construction firm. They are reliable and cost effective.
We don't use for very processor intensive tasks.

It took me a long time to quit using the duos & pismos.... still have a closet full!

I keep a couple of pismos and ibooks around the house for use by weekend guests. I don't want
them using my computer. All have airport cards and can access internet and xerox color laser by my wifi network

fire3500
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2008, 02:42 PM

I bought a MacBook last year, to replace my 1.67 15" PowerBook HR. I loved the "right click" on the track pad, I thought I would run Windows and I'd anticipated that the built-in iSight would be a really handy addition. The plan was to eBay the PowerBook but I found myself putting it off...

There's something about my PowerBook that I really don't want to give up... I appreciate the feel of the machine and still find myself running my hands around it and feeling satisfied. It's a tactile connection I guess, and I use my laptop for anything up to 20 hours a day in work and leisure. The MacBook is a great computer but I just haven't bonded with it the same way.

When I upgraded the PB to Leopard I was expecting anything *but* an increase in performance, so the added "snappeh" was very welcome indeed. Then I found that I could "right click" from the PB track pad in Leopard and had long gotten over the thrill of being able to boot Windows. I've been a Mac user for a long time, so other than as a party trick I found booting into XP to be as tiresome an experience as it would be on any computer, the nice hardware is poor compensation for the crappy OS... which leaves the iSight. It's nice to not have that extra wire and package to slip into my bag... but the flexibility of an external webcam is actually quite a significant factor, and the quality of the inbuilt iSight is (I think) lower than the original external model.

So in summary, I'm a happy camper with my PB, and typing this on it now. I have my MacBook for the times when I want to run something Intel only, or need that bit of extra oomph from the newer machine (although worth noting that the PB delivers a much smoother and stronger experience when using external projector displays and in using Keynote / PowerPoint - the MacBook chews through the creation of the presentations more quickly but the PB delivers them without a glitch every time).

Battery life is noticably shorter in Leopard on the PowerBook than it was in Tiger, that's my only real gripe I guess. But at 24 months my G4 is looking like a long term player and I've given up the notion of listing it on eBay. I can see a RAM and HDD upgrade for this machine over the next 12 months to give it a shot in the arm, other than that... just use it, enjoy it and keep the PPC faith

D2G
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2008, 04:18 PM

I am still using a 15" PB and am quite happy with its performance. Mainly use it for word processing, iTunes and email; however, it also does well when I do video work with Final Cut Express HD 1.5. I recently separated from my 12" PB. Gave that machine to my sister and her brother-in-law who were looking to replace a Windows 2000 IBM Thinkpad. Meets their needs just fine for general home use.
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67 GHz | 2GB RAM | 10.5.1
15" iMac G4 | 700 MHz | 1GB RAM | 10.4.11
40GB iPod classic (3rd gen.), 40GB iPod classic (4th gen.), 4GB iPod nano (1st gen.)

packet of krisps
Jan 27, 2008, 04:31 PM

I can't say its my main book, but I carry my Powerbook around all the time, as opposed to bring a backpack and sleeve for my MBP occasionally. Also because it wouldn't be as big a deal if the Powerbook got stolen.

[15" MacBook Pro 2.6 Ghz] [G4 733] [G4 MDD DP 1.25]

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2008, 04:55 PM

I'm on a PB G4 1.67 right now. Leopard made it the snappiest ever, and even if i work with apps like Adobe CS3 daily, my only real complaint is the screen res in this model (1280 x 854). At work I plug in to an external display, so it's kinda ok.

Our home Mac Pro gets used only for the heavy lifting (HD video, Crysis), since this PB performs so damn well.

I'm interested in the upcoming MacBook Pros, though - I need Windows for testing, there would be more pixels and I think I'd appreciate the new trackpad.

cutlassvillager
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2008, 05:02 PM

I still use a Pismo PowerBook (G3 400Mhz). I don't use it for many processor intensive things, but I will use it for browsing the Internet, IM and listening to music (streaming from my G4). It's battery life is currently a little better than my MacBook Pro and I might buy another battery (to put in where the removable DVD-ROM drive is) to get hopefully around 5-8 hours of battery life. I also use it for notes sometimes in class. It runs 10.4.11 very well. It's funny putting my PowerBook next to some PC laptops because it still is slimmer than some new laptops. Obviously things such as ripping DVDs would take forever. I'm amazed at the difference in time it takes to rip a DVD in handbrake with my QS G4 vs. my MacBook Pro.

Also, I thought I'd add that Office 2008 runs pretty well on the Pismo despite the System Requirements saying otherwise. It starts up a little slow, but seems to run great once it's open. The installer ran natively (without having to do any hack for it to install).
( Last edited by cutlassvillager; Jan 27, 2008 at 05:15 PM. )
Quicksilver G4 NewerTech 1.6 GHz | 1.5 GB RAM | 500/160/40GB Internal HDs | Radeon 9800 Pro | 10.5.8
MacBook Pro 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo | 2GB RAM | 320 GB WD Scorpio Black | 10.6.2/Windows 7 Professional | 22" LCD

hart
Senior User
Jan 29, 2008, 10:29 AM

I just pulled out my key lime ibook for the kids to run Scratch (google MIT Scratch edu.) I haven't fired it up for a while because the CD drive tray kept getting stuck but it's got OSX 10.3 installed and seems to be viable. At this point I would be OK with opening it up to fix the tray myself so I don't mind getting it out and risking breakage. And I have an old external CD drive from some long forgotten day when I didn't have one on some computer so I'm set.

Looks like a toy, but a fun toy. And of course my PowerBook is busted for the moment. I'm getting further and further back in time with the laptops.

V12
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2008, 04:58 AM

My Powerbook G4 1.33ghz is going on 3-4 years now. It gets me by for basic functions (email, web, aim, ms word) however shows its age when running itunes and iphoto amongst some other programs. It still has the 256mb built in ram, i plan on getting a gig stick and upgrading to leopard, hopefully this can get me through 2 more years of college with my uses and i can upgrade then.

Oh, the main reason i'm still in love with my powerbook after all this time is the 12" factor, i know the new MB's are 13" but there's something about this petite 12 inch powerbook that i can't get over. The macbook air may be a good upgrade for me but thats all pending, for my uses the ram+OS upgrade should get me by.

BTW- wheres the best place online to get cheap but well performing ram for my p-book, i think i need ddr pc2700, looking for at least 512mb or maybe a gig stick.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2008, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by V12 View Post
BTW- wheres the best place online to get cheap but well performing ram for my p-book, i think i need ddr pc2700, looking for at least 512mb or maybe a gig stick.
OWC Find the latest Performance Upgrades, Firewire and USB Hard Drives, SATA, Memory, Laptop Battery, and more at OWC

TiBook_Kid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2008, 10:14 PM

still using my 1GHz Titanium PowerBook everyday. still running strong with the stock config and Leopard!! looking into seeing if my parents will my me a 17" PBG4

Forum Links
Forum Rules