Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Black vs White I'm in temptation dilemma

Black vs White I'm in temptation dilemma
ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2008, 01:36 PM

What would you do?

Yesterday I bought my new white macbook-$1299 model and its' still in the box.

Today I get an email from someone who is selling their 3 week old black macbook with a bunch of extras for about $1600 because--
believe it or not, they don't like it:

13.1 Inch Black Macbook
Intel dual core 2.4 Ghz
2 gigs of ram
250 Gig Hard Drive
Parallels 3.0 (box version)
Office 2008 Student Edition
Wireless Mouse and Keyboard
Touch Copy and another iPod transfer app
Quicktime Pro - Installed
Mpeg 2 Video Codec installed

I've had a white ibook and actually never considered the black macbook because I prefer white but this offer intrigues me. What advice can you offer about the black version over the white? I've read numerous posts on the white ones cracking and I expect the typical discoloration issue will eventually show up on them but I haven't heard a lot about the black ones--or at least I haven't been seeking much info on them 'til now.

If I buy this one, barely used, can I still get Applecare since I wasn't the original purchaser?

Looking forward to your advice.

Thanks.

lisa_is_not_mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2008, 02:55 PM

if it still had the one year warranty, i think you still can
MacBook 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch White) 111 gb internal,
WD Passport 150 gb & 230 gb. VERBATIM Smartdisk Firelite 111 gb
1st gen iPod Nano White
Bluetooth Mighty Mouse & Keyboard

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2008, 04:05 PM

I'd be mighty suspicious of anyone with all that "technical" stuff on there who decided they just "don't like it".

Is this person a friend or casual acquaintance?
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2008, 04:55 PM

I have a long post about black vs white in this recent thread . I originally wanted white, but after three weeks with it, I definitely prefer the black, in part because of the texture, not the color, in part because it just looks cooler. But as sleek and beautiful as it is, I certainly wouldn't let color be a factor in the choice. I got the black because the excellent deal I found on the previous model offered better features for a lower price than any of the white ones available. I'd have gotten white if that had been a better deal. I wouldn't let black stop you from taking advantage of the offer you've got. That's quite a lot of good extras at a good price. You can buy AppleCare on it -- it goes with the computer, not the purchaser.

blackstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2008, 05:24 PM

Well the question is, does he include the retail versions (=CD's) of the applications, or are they just installed on the hard disk. If they are only installed, that means they are not legal for you to use anyhow. If I was you, it wouldn't bother me too much. You just bought a brand new Macbook, and I don't see how this should be such a major upgrade for you. Stay with the one you have already and there is little chance that you will run in somebodys evil hands.

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2008, 06:01 PM

This is good input, thanks. I don't know the seller personally or through anyone else. Her email was forwarded by a neighbor who was on the seller's listserve.

We've been emailing back and forth and the latest is she had already taken her original black macbook back to Apple by the time she heard from me. Apple would refund her money but they exchanged it for a new one.

And she's still selling it.

My hunch is, she just isn't destined to be an Apple person and is regretting her
purchase.

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2008, 06:21 PM

Correction: Apple would NOT refund her money but they exchanged it for a new one.
I inadvertently left out the "not" in my post above.

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2008, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by brettcamp View Post
I have a long post about black vs white in this recent thread . I originally wanted white, but after three weeks with it, I definitely prefer the black, in part because of the texture, not the color, in part because it just looks cooler. But as sleek and beautiful as it is, I certainly wouldn't let color be a factor in the choice. I got the black because the excellent deal I found on the previous model offered better features for a lower price than any of the white ones available. I'd have gotten white if that had been a better deal. I wouldn't let black stop you from taking advantage of the offer you've got. That's quite a lot of good extras at a good price. You can buy AppleCare on it -- it goes with the computer, not the purchaser.
Yes, I saw this and it's very helpful.

Seems that those who've owned the black macs for some time are not satisfied with the appearance due to fingerprints, shiny spots and such.
I know it boils down to preference.

But, yea--this was a good thread.

webb3201
Senior User
Mar 21, 2008, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by brettcamp View Post
I have a long post about black vs white in this recent thread . I originally wanted white, but after three weeks with it, I definitely prefer the black, in part because of the texture, not the color, .

I totally agree with this...the "flat" texture of a black book feels much better to me than the white.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2008, 09:22 PM

They both have pros and cons, but they're both awesome. I don't have any experience with the black, but my white MB is over a year old and looks just fine. An occasional cleaning with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser makes it look brand new. The outer case does scratch easily, but the scratches are tiny and you can't see them unless you're looking for them at certain angles.

If I were you, I'd stick with the new one you bought.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2008, 02:05 PM

Apple's got refurb BlackBooks for $1049.

Forum Links
Forum Rules