Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Transfering files using ethernet help

Transfering files using ethernet help
Golden Halo
Jul 22, 2008, 07:49 PM

Hi, I need some help transfering word documents and my itunes library from my pc to my mac via ethernet cable rather than using a bunch of data discs.Here is the link apple has that i'm not following well. Any help would b emuch appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/
15.4" Macbook Pro 2.2 Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, 500GB HD @ 7,200rpm. 20" iMac Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 256 VRAM, 250 GB HD. Pro apps: Final Cut Studio, and Logic Pro 8.

ibook_steve
Jul 22, 2008, 07:55 PM

Click "Migrate your files" on that page. It tells you exactly what you need to do. It also tells you other ways to transfer files which might be easier (like flash drives or target disk mode).

Do you have a specific question about the instructions on that page?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Golden Halo  (op)
Jul 22, 2008, 07:58 PM

Yeah i'm unsure of what they are decribing here. What would the SHARENAME be?
Type your PC's network address in the Server Address text box using one of these formats:
smb://DNSname/ShareName
smb://IPaddress/ShareName
Click Connect.

Thanks again.
15.4" Macbook Pro 2.2 Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, 500GB HD @ 7,200rpm. 20" iMac Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 256 VRAM, 250 GB HD. Pro apps: Final Cut Studio, and Logic Pro 8.

charlespsu
Jul 22, 2008, 09:22 PM

I would just log onto both via a switch/router and share the windows computer so you're mac and find. After that, just drop and drag.

Or - go get an external HDD from bestbuy for like $60.

Good luck!

ibook_steve
Jul 22, 2008, 10:01 PM

You have to enable sharing on the PC. The share name, if you were share the entire C drive, would probably be C$.

If sharing is set up correctly on the PC, instead of typing in the smb://, you would be able to click the Browse button in the Connect to Server dialog box and see the machine and the shared drive or folder(s). This would also appear in the "Shared" section on the left side of any Finder window.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules