Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MacPro 'takes off' after sleep-mode

MacPro 'takes off' after sleep-mode
young pioneer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2008, 03:17 AM

Hi
I'm working on a MacPro 2x2.66Ghx/2Gb Ram/Leopard 10.5.3
Everytime Mothership (that's her name) wakes up from her nap (my lunch time) her fans seem to be going at full power for maybe 2 minutes. after that they slowly go back to their 'normal' speed... If she goes into sleep mode again (when i'm in a meeting or something) same thing happens when she wakes up.

I doubt this is normal... It's just really loud, can be heard throughout the office... Full power...like she's ready to fly out the window or something...
it doesnt seem to affect performance though.

mkerr64
Senior User
Jul 28, 2008, 12:59 AM

apple hardware test?
if not you can always use SMC fan control, as i do.

i also have noticed when my mothership's fans speed up all i have to do is put it back to sleep and wake her up again and its usually fine.
R.I.P Steve Jobs

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2008, 02:07 PM

Your fans run at high speed for over 2 minutes? Weird. My fans on my nVidia 8800GT come on after sleep for maybe 3-5 seconds at full speed but not the fams in my MacPro. Try SMCFanControl and see if the fans still operate at high speed after awakening.

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2008, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by young pioneer View Post
Hi
I'm working on a MacPro 2x2.66Ghx/2Gb Ram/Leopard 10.5.3
Everytime Mothership (that's her name) wakes up from her nap (my lunch time) her fans seem to be going at full power for maybe 2 minutes. after that they slowly go back to their 'normal' speed... If she goes into sleep mode again (when i'm in a meeting or something) same thing happens when she wakes up.

I doubt this is normal... It's just really loud, can be heard throughout the office... Full power...like she's ready to fly out the window or something...
it doesnt seem to affect performance though.

If you've got the original version of the Mac Pro (2.0, 2.6. 3.0Ghz) there was a firmware upgrade last summer. As I recall it addressed the fan thing.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2008, 08:10 PM

Do you have any hardware installed on the PCI bus? It's possible that those are not reporting temperature correctly back, so the fans will run until the CPU board sensors say it's alright not to.

Forum Links
Forum Rules