Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > What are some good web, cheap web cams for Mac Pro?

What are some good web, cheap web cams for Mac Pro?
EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2008, 01:32 PM

What are some good web, cheap web cams for Mac Pro?

I found the Logitec Vision Pro but for $129.00 that seems a steep price for a little camera.

Anything pretty good for a lot less?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2008, 02:13 PM

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 24, 2008, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
I found the Logitec Vision Pro but for $129.00 that seems a steep price for a little camera.
It's not cheap, but I just got that camera to replace my old iSight (it was causing too many FireWire glitches), and the Vision Pro is freaking amazing.

It looks better in no light (i.e. only light from my screen) than the iSight did with the room lights on. It's also significantly better in low light, which is typical at home, than the integrated iSights in current Macs.

antonio

Cold Warrior
Aug 24, 2008, 03:12 PM

Is the Vision Pro UVC? I'd prefer to use it with something like macam instead of installing special software.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2008, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Is the Vision Pro UVC? I'd prefer to use it with something like macam instead of installing special software.
Yes.

Cold Warrior
Aug 24, 2008, 09:05 PM

Nice. I've seen it around, in Wal-Mart also I think, and have considered getting it. I keep my MBP hooked up to an external LCD but have to keep my MBP open for the built-in iSight. A quality external camera that mounts on my external LCD is a great alternative.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 25, 2008, 06:02 PM

Yes, the Vision Pro is plug-and-play with Mac OS X 10.4.11 or Leopard. And it looks great. Mind you, I bought the Mac-packaged version from Apple, which I believe is the same thing as the slightly cheaper QuickCam Pro 9000 for Windows. (Remember, if a camera is Vista-certified, then it's UVC. Also, any Logitech camera that says RightLight 2 is UVC.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules