Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Network Settings

Network Settings
Dell Switcher
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2008, 09:18 PM

Although I have not added any software (two updates though), I am getting an error message on Network in Systems Preferences "Your network settings have been changed by another application". I click on OK and the message returns and will not allow me to do anything in Systems Preferences. Moreover, I cannot close Network so I have to use Force Quit to stop.

I still have access to the internet.

Any help?
Switcher and damn glad...with iMac and PB who would not be happy!

Cold Warrior
Sep 23, 2008, 09:40 PM

Are you running any software, such as something from your ISP, that might change your network settings?
Does this persist if you create a new user account?

charlespsu
Sep 25, 2008, 08:32 PM

Any firewall installed?

Spoffo
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2008, 03:30 PM

I have the exact same problem. It started out of the blue as far as i can tell, and affects both of the accounts on this MacBook Pro. The only thing I can think that might have caused it was I was on the road, staying in a Hilton, and their wireless service had one of those proprietary welcome screens. But, that was perfectly easy to click past and seemed to be strictly a browser thing, not something to do with system/network setup.

I've tried deleting all sorts of prefs files (on both accounts) and I can't get rid of this sticky pop-up message.) What do I have to delete to get a totally clean new network control panel? At this point I'm willing to sacrifice all my saved wireless passwords, etc.
Dual 1.8 G5 tower w/ Pioneer 112, 4 gb RAM, 500 & 200gb HDs
MacBook Pro 2.16 gHz Core 2 Duo, 4 gb RAM, VM Ware Fusion & Boot Camp installed with Win XP Pro (Previously used Parallels)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2008, 04:34 PM

This article seems to address the issue and also offers a solution. Also make sure to check the additional info people left in the comments section.

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...80929133440824

2greythounds
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2008, 03:16 PM

This article requires a $24.95 subscription to the site. Before resorting to that for this problem, which I am also having, has anyone come up with other solutions?

Cold Warrior
Nov 6, 2008, 07:52 PM

Is the application System Preferences still in Applications/Utilities?
Does the problem persist if you create a new user?
Does the problem persist if you create a new network location? (something besides 'automatic')

Forum Links
Forum Rules