Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Can books be shared?

Can books be shared?
blshaw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2010, 11:01 AM

Does anyone know or care to speculate if an ebook purchased on one iPad can be transferred to another iPad? My wife and I have each ordered an iPad, with ebooks as a primary motivation for both of us. If I buy an ebook and finish it, I'd like to be able to transfer it to my wife's iPad so she can then read it. From a copyright perspective, this seems no different than buying a real paper book and allowing everyone in a household to read it.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2010, 01:27 PM

I 'think' that as long as it syncs to the same computer, it would have access to the same apps, media etc. But I could be wrong...
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2010, 01:38 PM

My guess is like MikeD's. If you and your wife are syncing to the same iTunes I assume it'll work the same as the iPhone and all of your media can be on both.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2010, 02:01 PM

Can any Apple DRM'd content be shared between users? NO!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2010, 02:07 PM

Of course you can.

Just authenticate on your iTunes as your wife when asked to do so (for example when listening to a track she bought). She can do the same on hers. That way you'll be able to listen to each other's music, use each other's apps, etc. You can authenticate five different iTunes instances per user account at any time. You don't have to authenticate for every song or app individually. Once you've authenticated as her, all her stuff will work in your iTunes, on your iPods, on your iPhone, etc.

I recently bought an ebook from the app store that my g/f and I are now both reading on our iPhones. On her iPhone she has also used a copy of iCab that I originally bought. Works just fine.
( Last edited by Simon; Mar 12, 2010 at 06:27 PM. Reason: typo)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2010, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Can any Apple DRM'd content be shared between users? NO!
Yes, actually, and legally.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2010, 02:43 PM

You're allowed via Fair Use laws to share the content with a friend or colleague, but you're not allowed to bypass the DRM. Yes it's that way on purpose. The same goes for DVDs. You're allowed to make copies of DVDs you've owned, but you're not allowed to bypass the encryption to make the copy.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

MikeD
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2010, 03:54 PM

What I want to know is if it will be able to handle annotations etc!
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2010, 08:38 PM

I would bet it’ll be just like all other FairPlay-encrypted content: store it in iTunes, turn on Home Sharing, and drag between libraries.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2010, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
I would bet it’ll be just like all other FairPlay-encrypted content: store it in iTunes, turn on Home Sharing, and drag between libraries.
Up to five computers for iTunes.

Is it a computer if there are multiple users on one machine or is it multiple machines?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

gradient
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2010, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Of course you can.

Just authenticate on your iTunes as your wife when asked to do so (for example when listening to a track she bought). She can do the same on hers. That way you'll be able to listen to each other's music, use each other's apps, etc. You can authenticate five different iTunes instances per user account at any time. You don't have to authenticate for every song or app individually. Once you've authenticated as her, all her stuff will work in your iTunes, on your iPods, on your iPhone, etc.

I recently bought an ebook from the app store that my g/f and I are now both reading on our iPhones. On her iPhone she has also used a copy of iCab that I originally bought. Works just fine.
This is what my wife and I do as well. Works like a charm.

Forum Links
Forum Rules