Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Single Application Mode?

Single Application Mode?
webb3201
Senior User
Jan 31, 2011, 05:19 PM

I was working on my 27" iMac while my 15 month old sat next to me and watched Barney on half of the screen (love the big screens). As he will often do, he began to randomly hit keys. He has triggered some sort of usage mode in which I can no longer run more than one application screen in the foreground. Meaning if I focus on iTunes, it fills screen, browser fills screen, etc. Anyone know of this mode?
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2011, 06:09 PM

Mac OS X has no such mode that I know of. Could you be in Exposé? In any case, logging out and back in should fix it.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2011, 08:58 PM

I blame Barney...you should know better then allow a purple dinosaur video to play on your Mac...

reader50
Administrator
Feb 1, 2011, 12:53 AM

There was a "single window mode" at one time, it was activated by a button in upper right of window bars. That control location has been taken over by the shrink-button there today.

The single-window-mode button vanished sometime around 10.0 or 10.1. I don't recall what the keyboard command was, if there was one.

You may have megazoomer installed. If so, the activate/deactivate sequence is command-enter.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2011, 01:18 AM

Yeah, single window mode in the Finder did not make it to 10.0. May have been in DP4.

But isn't Lion bringing a single application mode? I thought that was what this thread was about at first.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules