Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Unibody MacBook 13" Grey Screen of Death problem

Unibody MacBook 13" Grey Screen of Death problem
webb3201
Senior User
Apr 20, 2011, 10:09 AM

Hello all,
I have a 2008 vintage 13" MacBook (unibody) that has been running happily since purchase. I booted it earlier this week and the machine would not go past the grey screen of death. Starting in verbose mode gave me a note (I forget exact syntax) that the drive was not available. No problem I thought. I went ahead and run FSCK and then booted my OSX disk and ran the disk utility just to see what I could salvage (I have backups but why not). Drive utility repaired issues and the reinstall began as normal.

On reboot after install, the machine went back into the Grey screen of death. I again thought no problem and swapped the old drive for another and began the planned reinstall. The issue is that I am still stuck on the Grey screen of death, and this time I am having issue booting to the DVD. I get the feeling this is not a simple hard drive issue.

Anyone have any ideas on what to try next?
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2011, 11:20 AM

Put the original drive back in and boot holding the D key. Should run diagnostics.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

webb3201  (op)
Senior User
Apr 20, 2011, 01:21 PM

thanks...had forgotten "d". Bad news, it wont boot with d key either...just spins on grey screen.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2011, 04:50 PM

Can you run verbose mode again and post the error?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules