Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 7300: Upgrading to G4?

7300: Upgrading to G4?
Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Feb 24, 2001, 04:44 PM

Is it possible to use the G4 ZIF from an older AGP "Sawtooth" G4 400 in a carrier card (please verify brand) in a 7300/200?

In addition, what is the maximum speed of G3 this 7300 can be upgraded do? Is it 400MHz or 500MHz? Or does it depend on the card purchased? Will the 433/466 cards work?

I know Newer is gone (God rest its soul), so who is the next in line for recommended upgrade supplier?

And the last great question: Can you boot off of an PCI ATA66 card (to use an IDE hard drive) or do you have to boot off the internal SCSI hard disk?

Thanks!

------------------
Dan
Michigan Lincoln & Continental Owners Club
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

GLT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2001, 12:40 AM

I don't know why not.
XLR8carriers are probably the most compatible regarding the ability to use the interleaved memory in your 7300.
There are expert sites out there.
http://xlr8yourmac.com
http://macgurus.com

On the guru's site go to the upgrades forums then to
either the new users or processor upgrades forums and
repeat your question.
These guys are GOOD, honest and fast in replying.
They can supply anything you need at fair prices, great
support (hand holding if necc.) and have a 30 day return policy.
Good luck,
Greg

Tristrami
Senior User
Feb 25, 2001, 01:48 AM

Be wary of upgrading a PCI mac to a G4 with a card. I tried to upgrade my 7300/200 at work and experienced major difficulty with the pre-emptive processing of the g4. Couldn't get it to work properly--the software patch to fix this is dicey. Ended up exchaning it for a G3 card--slower, but what good is speed that crashes your system? Otherwise, I've had pretty good luck with Sonnet.

Dan Szwarc  (op)
Senior User
Feb 25, 2001, 10:18 AM

So, I'm better off with a G3.

What about the 466 cards? Are they compatible with the 50MHz bus in the 7300?

Isn't there something about certain upgrades only being "capable" of their maximum speed and that it depends on the machine and bus speed that they are running?
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2001, 01:09 PM

In response to the first post, I think that Sonnet ( sonnettech.com ) has the best products now that Newer is gone. Especially seeing as Sonnet is now employing many of the engineers that formerly worked at Newer. Check them out.

------------------
Graphite iMac DV/SE (400MHz, 128 MB RAM, DVD, 13GB HD)
Coming Up Next: 500MHz Titanium PowerBook G4!

Eberhard
Feb 26, 2001, 06:28 PM

Go for a low to midrange G3 it gives more bang for the bucks, the Sonettech 400 with a 512k L2 for 200 dollar look really good. If my memory serves me right the G3 suppot buss multipliers up to 10x so with the 50 MHz bus that max speed would be 500 MHz.

The IDE PCI card support 4 drives 2 of them can be set as masters and is thus bootable.

With OS X so close and no promised OS X support of non G3/G4 PMs I do not think it is that wise to invest to much in a 7600.(like a G4 or high end G3)

Forum Links
Forum Rules