Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > two online at same time?

two online at same time?
welderpm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2001, 05:41 PM

How can I have two imac's online at the same time with one phone line? Or is this not possible?
Standard internal modem(56K) with dialup connection (earthlink).
The least cost method would be appreciated. Thanks

abraxas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2001, 09:15 PM

look into a software called IPNetRouter or Surf Doubler

Trixalia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2001, 02:17 PM

I believe that Earthlink (my ISP, too) charges the second user by the hour in addition to your monthly fee.

Camelot
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2001, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by Trixalia:
I believe that Earthlink (my ISP, too) charges the second user by the hour in addition to your monthly fee.
There's no way Earthlink (or any ISP) can tell if you have two machines running behind a router package like IPNetRouter, VicomSoft's Internet Gateway or SurfDoubler.

The way these packagaes work is that the main machine is the only one that talks to the ISP. Additional machines in your network all talk to the one running the routing software. As far as the ISP is concerned, they can only see the routing machine.

They might try to tell you different, but it's just not so.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Trixalia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2001, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by Camelot:
There's no way Earthlink (or any ISP) can tell if you have two machines running behind a router package like IPNetRouter, VicomSoft's Internet Gateway or SurfDoubler.

The way these packagaes work is that the main machine is the only one that talks to the ISP. Additional machines in your network all talk to the one running the routing software. As far as the ISP is concerned, they can only see the routing machine.

They might try to tell you different, but it's just not so.
That's pretty interesting considering what's on their site under Simultaneous Usage:
http://www.earthlink.net/about/policies/rates.html

Misha
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2001, 07:53 PM

Earthlink's policy has to do with having *two* people dialing-up (*two* modems) at the same time with the same account.

You can use a routing package np...

Camelot
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2001, 02:36 AM

Originally posted by Trixalia:
That's pretty interesting considering what's on their site under Simultaneous Usage:
http://www.earthlink.net/about/policies/rates.html
Reading that page, they say "You are only allowed a single connection to the Internet using your username and password combination at any time. Any overlaps in usage is subject to an hourly fee."

This would still be the case when using IPNetRouter, Internet Gateway, et al. since you only have one connection (the router) to Earthlink. The numerous machines behind the router aren't seen. That clause seems to imply that you can't dial in from home while your sister/brother/spouse dials in from somewhere else using the same username/password.

That's not to say that they want you do to this, or that other ISPs won't have conditions that try to stop you from doing it. In any case, my point was that it could be done without the knowledge of the ISP... the morality of doing it is left to the individual.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

iSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2001, 10:19 AM

You will find that most ISP's allow (some begrudgingly), but don't support (ie tech support) or promote any other configurations than those accessed by the machine making the connection.

------------------

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 26, 2001, 11:09 AM

i don't think you're on any shaky moral ground by routing two computers to the net through one modem. it's mostly a question of bandwidth. if you're paying for 56k access, there's an obvious cap to how much data you can pull through the system. they set the rate based, to some extent, on that. dialing in with two or three computers at one time on one account doubles or triples your available bandwidth, but you're paying the same price. that's what they're guarding against. it doesn't matter if you network 20 macs behind a 56k modem, that modem can only connect at, what, 53k max. they won't support it, and you'll get sad performance if you're doing heavy surfing from both machines, but i don't see anything shady about it.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

Forum Links
Forum Rules