Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cheap webcam for imacs?

Cheap webcam for imacs?
victor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2000, 06:30 PM

Hey...

Any suggestions for cheapest webcams out there for an iMac 333?

Thanks!
Victor

Toad
Sep 18, 2000, 07:24 PM

I have a Wacom Graphire. It's my first wireless pen/pad and I like it alot. For $99 you get this, Photoshop LE, and Painter. A great deal.

It's USB also!

victor  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2000, 08:32 PM

hmmm. as in video capture device. _That_ sort of web cam.

luckyjoe
Sep 19, 2000, 02:31 PM

Try http://www.x10.com/

If you get one let us know haow it works.

Tom
Tang.Rev.C

Ca$h68
Banned
Sep 20, 2000, 12:02 AM

Question: Do they sell digital cameras, that when not taking pictures, you could set up next to your computer, hook it up, and use it like a webcam? I want one of those.

Ca$h

luckyjoe
Sep 20, 2000, 05:12 PM

Ca$h,

Do you have a video camera?

A year ago I decided to buy the XLR8 Interview USB to use with my Analog Sony camcorder. Now I use the video when ever I think I want digital photos, since I can always *grab* exactly the shot I want form video.

My camcorder is *great*, and there was no reason to replace it for a digital firewire model. Not to mention have to get a new iMac.

Works for me.

Tom
Tang.Rev.C

edumacationboy
Sep 20, 2000, 09:31 PM

http://www.irez.com are made especially for Macs and even come in colors.

lee vieira
Sep 20, 2000, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by luckyjoe:

A year ago I decided to buy the XLR8 Interview USB to use with my Analog Sony camcorder. Now I use the video when ever I think I want digital photos, since I can always *grab* exactly the shot I want form video.

My camcorder is *great*, and there was no reason to replace it for a digital firewire model. Not to mention have to get a new iMac.

Works for me.

Tom
Tang.Rev.C

Tom, just a quick question. Do you like your InterView? Does it drop a lot of frames? Do you find the USB transfers really slow? How is the image quality? And does the video that comes out of it have any 'artifacts', or is it pretty much bueno?

Just curious, since I had heard good things about it and was thinking of getting one.

--lee

King of Spain
Sep 22, 2000, 09:54 PM

Mostly Mac has in stock the iRez Kritter Cam. It's a great little USB camera that sits on your iMac or clamps onto your iBook. It's really cool and inexpensive. It's availbale in different colours too, check it out!
http://www.mostlymac.com/33_welcome_...ufacturer=irez

luckyjoe
Sep 25, 2000, 11:35 AM

Lee,

The Interview video capture image quality is great! No distortion or artifacts to my untrained eye. I have run into dropped frames before, but if I simply re-capture the video I can work around this.

USB is not a problem. It' is like watching the video on screen - then you just click to capture video or grab stills. The only downside to USB is that you cannot send the video *back* to the camcorder. But that is not a feature of Interview anyway.

Oh, 96mb RAM is not enough to play with video!

Tom
Tang.Rev.C

Ca$h68
Banned
Sep 26, 2000, 02:01 PM

So is there something like I described or not? Can I hook up a digital camera to work as a webcam???

Ca$h

iPaul UK
Senior User
Sep 26, 2000, 05:11 PM

Ca$h, I think it's Creative Labs that make exactly the type of camera you talk about. It's not a really high quality or expensive camera. But looks pretty good all the same and is USB of course.. The catch? I'm pretty sure the software is PC only right now.. But I have not checked the web site at all so I could be wrong..

jhounslow
Sep 26, 2000, 11:59 PM

Does Interview drop frames? How well does it work?

Does any one know if there is a Firewire based adapter for hooking up cam corders to an iMac?

Jim

Ca$h68
Banned
Sep 27, 2000, 01:38 AM

Dangit. You mean I cant hook up a cheap USB camera and have it go live? Man. I need to learn how to program, so I can spend even MORe time on this (ack)

Ca$h

joeaux
Sep 27, 2000, 02:48 PM

Ca$h,
Yes, you *can* get a cheap camera and set it up live. I bought a real cheap QuickCam VC from LogiTech:
http://www.logitech.com/cf/products/...verview.cfm/37

They want $79.00, I got it for $59.00 somewhere on the net (don't remember where). It's a good, solid, little USB camera that works just fine with the iMac and iBook (and Windoze machines for that matter). I use it with it's own software and a little AppleScript that I wrote. It will send pictures up to my webpage as often as I want. As far as streaming, well, I'm sure it can be done. If you can find the software (it exists, but isn't free). Any questions, just ask!
-joe-

------------------
iMac (Lime 266 OS 9), iBook (Tangerine 300 OS 9), SE/30 (Platinum 16 OS 7.5.5)

Ca$h68
Banned
Sep 27, 2000, 11:06 PM

Oh great. Make me spend my money.

Cool! ME GET!

hehehe

Ca$h

Linda
Nov 2, 2000, 05:01 AM

[This message has been edited by Linda (edited 11-02-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules