Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac DVD Sound to Picture sync way out

iMac DVD Sound to Picture sync way out
collecting.magpie
Sep 22, 2000, 02:32 PM

Could someone advise me as to how to correct the iMac's DVD player sound to picture synchronisation at the moment people open their mouths and they speak a second later, really frustrating. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Veerle
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2000, 03:24 PM

1) make sure you have the latest DVD player from Apple, I think it is version 2.2
2) If the above fails try playing it without the use of virtual memory and make sure that player has enough memory. It works fine on my iMac DVD SE, but it didn't before I upgraded to version 2.2

collecting.magpie
Sep 22, 2000, 03:55 PM

Veerle Thanks very much I'll try your suggestions. All the best. Martin.

Cipher13
Sep 22, 2000, 09:32 PM

This doesn't solve your prob, but pausing then playing again often corrects this.
Sometimes the sync gets worse as it goes along - if so, try that.

Cipher13

Blakhawkg3
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2000, 10:14 AM

I read somewhere that some other update to original iMac DVs/DVSEs fixed that problem....I think it was the audio update (?).

-Blakhawkg3

Toad
Sep 23, 2000, 11:13 AM

I've got an imac DV SE graphite, running 9.04 and using the latest DVD player 2.2 and I still get the out-of-sinc delay.

Toad

Danny DLT
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2000, 01:20 AM

The reason why this is so common on iMac's is because it uses software decoding for its DVD's--meaning less than good playback. Trust me, many people go through this. My DV has it, I have DVD Player 2.2, and ALL other updates installed. All you can do is: make sure ALL updates, and turn off Virtual Memory when playing DVD's.

--Danny

------------------
Daniel De La Torre
iMac DV/400/64/10/9.0.4

[This message has been edited by Danny DLT (edited 09-24-2000).]
Daniel De La Torre
iMac DV/400/192/10/9.1

collecting.magpie
Sep 24, 2000, 02:12 PM

Daniel DLT and others. Thanks very much for all the help, at least it's not just my machine. I have to say I'm more than a little annoyed that a computer costing what it does and as up to date as it is can not play a DVD properly. Especially when you pay more for the DV feature.
One last thing, I'm not that up on the terminology, how do you turn off virtual memory as advised? THanks again.

mephastopholes
Sep 24, 2000, 05:30 PM

magpie... memory is located under the apple menu in control panels... turn it off in there and note the "vm will be turned off AFTER restart" dialog... if i remeber correctly, there may have also been other things required besides the dvd update and vm off in order for the audio to match video... i believe there was some kind of quicktime update (found somewhere at apple's website), as well as making apple talk inactive.... you'll find this under control panels as well (or on your control strip, i think)... i don't know if you're on one of the newer imacs, and if so, i'm not sure if the latter applies to them, or whether this audio/video problem carried through unscathed... but i've been told that the dvd software on macs will never be as perfect as the performance/quality of an actual dvd player...

Forum Links
Forum Rules