Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > memory upgrades

memory upgrades
suprz
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2000, 07:42 AM

hello, this is my first post and i am basically new to computers (never owned one before) thank god i bought a apple!! i have a blueberry imac 350mhz g3 6gig hd and 64mb of ram. my question is i want to upgrade the memory with another 64mb or (if i can afford it) 128mb ram chip. i was reading in one of these forums about ram speed being 222, 233, 333, if i buy memory and it is 222 (which is supposed to be the fastest) and my imac has a slower speed ram installed from the factory, will it just defeat the purpose of buying the faster speed chip? and is there anyway of knowing what speed the ram chip is that came with my imac? i'm sorry about being long winded...thanks in advance for the info

------------------
" I think,
therefore....IMAC
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

Neosiris
Oct 24, 2000, 08:23 AM

I think when you read over those other posts, you misunderstood that when they state their computer specs (mine would be iMac DV SE 500) the 500 isn't how much ram I have, it's the MHz.

And if you really want to upgrade your RAM, you may not have to. It really depends on what kind of stuff you're using your iMac for. If it's just surfing the web and stuff, then 64 megs of ram will do you fine for a while.

Though, the more ram, the better. Your best bet would be to buy another 64 ram chip. (169 american dollars in MacWarehouse)

Good Luck, and good choice on purchasing an Apple!

-Neosiris

scottiB
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2000, 09:00 AM

No--the speed difference is negligible (5% or so according to what moderator seanyepez says--sorry I can't find the forum he's listed that in). Anyway, I bought RAM for my Mac DV from macsolutions. It was 222--just came that way. See this forum about buying memory.

Congrats on you new Mac . These forums have many smart cookies (far smarter than I) if you have any problems.

--scottiB
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2000, 11:21 AM

As scottiB says, not that much difference. On the other hand, definitely do buy the extra RAM. You'll love the extra stability. And of course, once you install it, increase the amount of memory allocated to your programs. The Help menu in the Finder will tell you how to do it--just type in "adjusting your memory usage." Have fun!
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2000, 01:36 PM

Word of caution. Shop around before you buy your memory. $196 for 64Mb is obsene. If you look around you should be able to find some for just over $1 a Mb. So around $70 to $75 for 64Mb. Try www.ramseeker.com or www.pricewatch.com for price comparisons.

suprz  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2000, 03:10 PM

thank you all for your help. i will definitely get more ram, and i'll probably go for 128mb. (better to have more than not enough) and if i may, i'll get on my soapbox now, i believe that i bought the best computer in the world! i would rather not own a computer if i had to use a..PEECEE. i'll never give up my mac. when i die, it's coming with me! (never know just might need it)

------------------
" I think,
therefore....IMAC
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

scottiB
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2000, 03:14 PM

Right on, spurz. Right on.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Toad
Oct 25, 2000, 04:29 PM

You've got the idea suprz

Adding RAM to the iMac is easy. It can be a real pain with some PC computers!

Forum Links
Forum Rules