Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Baisic OSX questions

Baisic OSX questions
Toad
Feb 17, 2002, 10:58 PM

I've been considering taking the plunge to OS X, I thought I could get some freindly answers and advice from this column

-Will Unix Programs run on OSX
-Can I run any OS X apps on a Unix machine (I use one at work)
, for example it would be great to run itunes there!
-I run a G3 iMac at 400Mhtz with 256 RAM, do I need an upgrade to effectively use OS X?
-any other thoughts or reccomendations would be appreciated.

Toad

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2002, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by Toad:
<STRONG>I've been considering taking the plunge to OS X, I thought I could get some freindly answers and advice from this column

-Will Unix Programs run on OSX
-Can I run any OS X apps on a Unix machine (I use one at work)
, for example it would be great to run itunes there!
-I run a G3 iMac at 400Mhtz with 256 RAM, do I need an upgrade to effectively use OS X?
-any other thoughts or reccomendations would be appreciated.

Toad</STRONG>
Most Unix programs can run on OS X, especially with Xdarwin.

No, OS X WILL NOT run on a unix machine.

I have a G3/300 B&W with 256mbs of ram and a Pismo 500 with 25mbs of ram and run OS X on both machines as the main OS. It can get slow, but I don't mind because I'm running OS X.
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

dawho9
Senior User
Feb 17, 2002, 11:15 PM

I will take a stab at some of your questions:

1. Unix Apps
- Some will run. Actually, I think most of them will. I have not had a problem with the few that I have complied and run, but all of mine are very "mainstream" apps for unix.

2. OSX apps on Unix
- Not that I know of

3. iMac400
- More RAM. Purchase more RAM. Max it out. I have a G4-400 with 1GB of RAM and I could us more. Its not to say its un-usable, because I love it. But it can be "sluggish" at times.

4. Other comments
- Go for it. Leave OS9 on your machine. Try it out. Stay in OSX for one week and if you are not liking it, go back. But I don't think you will.

dw9
- Intel iMac 20' Core Duo - 1GB RAM
- Technology Blog) http://portalxp.org/Web/blogs/rbrynteson/

jcb9
Feb 18, 2002, 01:50 AM

I've been running OS X on my 300 MHz iBook since July, and it's worked fine for me, so it should work for you. More RAM (I have 320 mb) wouldn't hurt, but 256 may be enough for you.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Feb 18, 2002, 02:21 AM

(1) Some stuff does not compile entirely cleanly, but thanks to the Fink and GNU-Darwin projects, more and more is becoming easily accessible. Fink downloads, patches, and installs a growing library of Unix apps onto an OS X system, and GNU-Darwin is basically a port of the FreeBSD ports system.

(2) No, not at all, and not conceivable in the near future (or in the not-so-near future, for that matter.)

(3) If you can afford it, upgrade the whole box- but otherwise, just buy some more RAM. It'll go a long way.

Suggestion: read as much information on Mac OS X at www.apple.com/macosx/ , www.opensource.apple.com , and http://developer.apple.com/macosx/ as you have time for. Valuable third-party sites are http://www.macosxhints.com for a huge database of user-contributed how-to's and tips and http://osx.macnn.com for daily news & resouces for the OS X community.

Good luck.

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: gorgonzola ]
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Forum Links
Forum Rules