Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Resource forks on Snow Leopard

Resource forks on Snow Leopard
Curiosity
Senior User
May 6, 2011, 04:35 PM

Does Snow Leopard not make resource forks when one changes an icon for a file or folder? Tiger used to, and if you viewed hidden files, you would see those, but doing that on Snow Leopard does not show any additional files in the directory.
When images are saved, the icons are shown as little thumbnail pictures of the original if one views them with icon view. Are these thumbnails resource forks or not? If I saved pictures with a Snow Leopard image editor, the thumbnails appear in list view as well, but not otherwise. How does that work?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2011, 04:45 PM

The custom icons do indeed get stored in an 'icns' resource in the resource fork for files. For folders, they are stored in an invisible 'Icon\r' file inside the folder.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Curiosity  (op)
Senior User
May 7, 2011, 04:23 AM

I see the resource fork files in the folders I customized, bur I do not see any extra files for the ogg vorbis music files in the same directory, and I changed the icons for every one of them. Are they now incorporated into the data files somehow?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2011, 06:44 PM

You're not going to get extra files unless the files reside on a file system that doesn't support resource forks. Otherwise, the resource will just go in the resource fork.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Curiosity  (op)
Senior User
May 9, 2011, 12:46 AM

Ok, thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules