Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Need USB2 card for MDD Rev C without sleep problems?

Need USB2 card for MDD Rev C without sleep problems?
Mac Write
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 04:12 PM

My mom is getting an iPod this week to listen to days and days of conferences and well both our MDD's Rev C's (June 2003) don't have USB2. I would just order a USB2 PCI card with 4 ports, but the problem is that I hear that there is a bug with sleeping the computer etc.

So which card should we both get (I might as well get one while where at it for my USB2 CF reader and wishful thinking future iPod) that doesn't have the bug and can get bought in Canada (Vancouver)?

Thanks all
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

bgordon
Oct 26, 2005, 02:31 PM

FYI, I have had some success with an Adaptec USB 2.0 PCI card in my 2002 MDD dual 1 Ghz that I got from COMPUSA. Originally, I tried a Belkin USB 2.0 PCI card, but that was crazy buggy, and finally stopped working altogether.

There's been a lot of research done on this at xlr8yourmac.com, you may want to check there (I think that's what tipped me off to the Adaptec model working.)

Regardless, whatever you do, don't expect to keep it plugged in at all times. I plug in the external card reader into the USB 2.0 slot, download my pics, then "eject" the SD card icon and unplug the card reader immediately to avoid any hangs. Seems to work well enough.

Good luck.

- bgordon

bighead
Senior User
Oct 26, 2005, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mac Write
My mom is getting an iPod this week to listen to days and days of conferences and well both our MDD's Rev C's (June 2003) don't have USB2. I would just order a USB2 PCI card with 4 ports, but the problem is that I hear that there is a bug with sleeping the computer etc.

So which card should we both get (I might as well get one while where at it for my USB2 CF reader and wishful thinking future iPod) that doesn't have the bug and can get bought in Canada (Vancouver)?

Thanks all
I picked up a supergeneric USB2 PCI card from WeirdStuff Warehouse when I was up in the SF Bay area a couple years ago. I've got it in my MDD and it deep sleeps without problems. The USB buses even show up in the Apple System Diagnostic that service providers use, which makes me think it uses a very VERY similar chipset to what is on the mobo. If you'd like, I'll go do some digging when I get home from school...
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2005, 07:36 PM

Have to un-plug after use? too complicated for my mom (and painful for me). x8r charges to view that info on their website (I ain't paying to view it want $20 $1 is too much).
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

ChrisF
Senior User
Oct 26, 2005, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mac Write
Have to un-plug after use? too complicated for my mom (and painful for me). x8r charges to view that info on their website (I ain't paying to view it want $20 $1 is too much).
Macfixit charges; Xlr8yourmac is free, and far more informative than Macfixit.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2005, 03:32 AM

"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2005, 06:01 AM

I have read here at MacNN boards that this card works great, no sleep issues. I can not speak from first experience since I have no USB2 PCI card inside my PowerMac, I just bookmarked that link since some people here said it works flawless under Tiger.

spork
Oct 27, 2005, 07:05 AM

I have been using an Allegro USB2 PCI card made by sonnet for about 3-4 months in 533 DP without any problems. It was purchased along with a 1g shuffle. I leave a cable plugged in all the time and often the printer cable is also plugged in, but with the printer turned off. No sleep problems so far. knock on wood.
The box says any Powermac from G3 all-in-one, all G4 (except cube) and including G5.
Price was around 30-40 bucks.
hope that helps.

FYI : Sandisk makes a firewire compactflash card reader with a removeable head which really, really rocks. You can use it as a firewire cable, ie hook up other computer in Target mode or hook up an external drive in a pinch. bought mine at www.jr.com.

mac on.
Mini Intel Core Duo 1.66, 1.5ram, super, 17" CRT Cinema Display, Intuos 3 tablet
G4 PB 1ghz 15", 60gb, 256ram, super, Wifi

Chicacredes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2005, 10:01 PM

Thanx angelmb... I first got an owc firewire/usb2 combo before i researched it and it cause my machine to crash on wake-up from sleep. The IOGEAR PCI to USB2.0 Card Model GIC251U works great though. No sleep issues. I was looking into it further and i think it may be the firewire on the pci card that was causing the problem.

AGP G4 DP 1.3 Upgraded G-Celerator 1GIG RAM | PB G4 1.25 FW800 1GIG RAM | Video iPod 60GIG

Forum Links
Forum Rules