Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who here likes scotch?

Who here likes scotch?
nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2004, 02:21 AM

I've become a big fan of Tomatin 12 yr. single malt highland. It costs me $20/bottle, but I've discovered that I actually like it better than Glenfiddich (also 12 yr. single malt highland) which costs me $30/bottle (which is still pretty good considering the vodka I like is $40/bottle). It's got a nice mellow, yet still fairly strong flavor, and is unbelievably smooth. Sadly, I'm stuck in a small town in the middle of nowhere until the end of this year, so I haven't really been able to branch out and try much in the way of other things. The liquor store in town's only got blends and highland malts, and only a few brands of each.

What do other people like?

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2004, 03:04 AM

I have a particular taste for a mix aptly called "Lights Out, Motherfukcer."

But scotch is not disagreeable after getting over the initial hump.
I, ASIMO.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2004, 03:09 AM

Im a Banker's Club man.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2004, 03:21 AM

14 year Oban

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Feb 21, 2004, 04:16 AM

Originally posted by ASIMO:
I have a particular taste for a mix aptly called "Lights Out, Motherfukcer."
LOL...does that come in a hip-flask?

Tomster
Senior User
Feb 21, 2004, 04:36 AM

Macallan 25 - Simply wonderful. And if I happen to win the lotto, I would love to try this. The truly frightening thing is that there is stuff on the web page that costs a LOT more.

Ratspittle
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2004, 07:32 AM

glenmorangie portwood....mmmmmmmm ( a steal at apprx$65 a bottle)
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

bobthecannibal
Feb 21, 2004, 09:46 AM

I do drink the odd glass of 12 year old glenfiddich single malt which i get for $45. Yet my main spirit is pernod absinthe which costs me 160 - 170 a bottle yet it is worth it. And being Australian i drink loads of beer.
currently being converted from pc to mac

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2004, 10:24 AM

after waking up this morning, having drank too much last night...all alcohol is bad in my eyes

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2004, 10:28 AM

Glenfiddich or Glenlivet is my regular.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Joshua
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2004, 10:29 AM

I prefer the Islay scotches: very complex smoky flavors. Lagavulin 16 is my favorite, but shortages have made it nearly impossible to find. Laphroaig 10 makes a good, affordable substitute. Talisker is also excellent; it's much like an Islay though it's from Skye.

Other favorites: Highland Park 12 (a good everyday scotch), Bunnahabhain 12 (Islay, but tastes more like a Highland), Glengoyne 17, Oban 14, Mortlach 12, Glenfarclas cask strength.
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2004, 12:50 PM

Just don't call it "Scotch" in front of a Scotsman. They get upset. It's whisky.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2004, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
Just don't call it "Scotch" in front of a Scotsman. They get upset. It's whisky.
Scotch? I've got some bottles that were 12 years old when my father was gifted them, and that was 25 years ago, so when he gave them to me 10 years ago, they are still aging. (In the bottle, but hey, still aging) Sometimes I'll grab a bottle and pour a small amount for sipping pleasure. Smooooooooth. I do realize though it is better aged in a barrel, but I don't have any barrels and nowhere near the amount I would *need* to fill one.

I have about 5 bottles of different make from varying areas. Some have a more iodine flavour, and some less as they are either nearer the ocean or more up in the hills.

Some other of my favorite beverages, are Tequila (straight, or over ice), or a nice port wine. It all goes well with a good cigar: Opus, Excaliber, Puros Indios, Cubans when I can get my hands on one from a friend.

3gg3
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2004, 01:10 PM

A summer house guest couple left us a bottle of The Balvenie � VERY nice. I hope they got it at the Duty Free shop!

Was anyone else confused by that flavour diagram at the 1926 Macallan site? It appeared to register zero on both the malty and peaty scale I thought if it weren't peaty and malty, it wern't "whisky". But then again, I'm one of those who can't taste any of the exotic subtleties of fine wine (sweaty leather? barnyard compost? Thank God for geriatric taste buds!)

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2004, 01:58 PM

Wouldn't that be akin to American's getting upset if someone calls it "American football" because it's just "football"? The bottle says scotch whisky. It's a distinct subset of whisky. Just like bourbon.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2004, 02:24 PM

Highland Park here...

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2004, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
Wouldn't that be akin to American's getting upset if someone calls it "American football" because it's just "football"? The bottle says scotch whisky. It's a distinct subset of whisky. Just like bourbon.
I'm pretty certain that the label doesn't say that in Scotland.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2004, 02:52 PM

Right, and we don't call it American football in America. But everyone else does.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2004, 02:53 PM

That would be redundent.

It would be like calling Football in America, American Football.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2004, 03:24 PM

Right, and we don't call it American football in America. But everyone else does.
Just telling you. They get upset. It's one of the things they bitch about Americans behind backs.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2004, 06:19 PM

Johnnie Walker Black Label.

There is no substitute.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2004, 06:31 PM

Well, yes there is.

Blue label.

I was at a tasting in California and they had red, black, and blue.
I seem to recall a platinum label? Is there one? Maybe I had one too many freebies...

3gg3
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2004, 09:30 PM

There's a JW Gold that I tried to link to, but comes up with "Out of Stock" link

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2004, 12:07 AM

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2004, 02:11 AM

Just telling you. They get upset. It's one of the things they bitch about Americans behind backs.
Well, thanks for the tip. I'll keep it in mind while I'm in the UK this spring (even if it doesn't make any sense ).

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2004, 10:29 AM

Well, thanks for the tip. I'll keep it in mind while I'm in the UK this spring (even if it doesn't make any sense ).
They also eat hagus.

And, yet strangely I have always wanted to try it with a fine Scotch.
A lot of fine Scotch.

3gg3
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2004, 01:33 PM

Here's the poop on some fine Scotch

FYI (slow sunday)

Johnnie Walker Gold label

Type :_ Blended
Price :_ 100cls 559,- Dkr. in Whisky World - Copenhagen Airport.

Remark : The newest member of the Johnnie Walker Whisky family introduced to the South African market late 1996, Johnnie Walker Gold Label, is unique in that it is literally touched with gold._

Clynelish, the rare malt whisky which is at the heart of the Johnnie Walker Gold Label blend of 15 distinguished malts, derives its water from the Clynemilton Burn in which prospectors panned for gold in the 1880's and into which traces of gold still wash. Other important malt whiskies in the blend are Cardhu, which has a silky smoothness, Talisker, which contributes intensity and depth and Royal Lochnagar, which imparts fragrance and richness._

Johnnie Walker Gold Label is also distinctive in that it has its origins in the blending notes compiled 75 years ago by Sir Alexander Walker, grandson of the founder of the company. His aim at that time to create a blend of exceptionally mature malts for Johnnie Walker's centenary were thwarted by a shortage of these rare products following World War I._

In 1950 when the master blender who inherited Sir Alexander's notebooks wished to blend a tribute to him, he in his turn was hampered by problems of supply resulting from the disruption of World War II. The production of Extra Special Old Reserve which ensued was of necessity very limited and reserved for the exclusive use of the company's blenders and directors._

Now with small stocks of some of the rarest and most mature whiskies required for Sir Alexander's blend to hand, his secrets have at last been revealed in Johnnie Walker Gold Label. Blended in limited quantities for Johnnie Walker's 175th anniversary last year, it is now available at selected outlets in South Africa - a connoisseur's delight. The elegant packaging features a square-shaped bottle with a slanted silver and gold label.

sbjordal
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2004, 02:35 AM

I've become a big fan of Tomatin 12 yr. single malt highland. It costs me $20/bottle, but I've discovered that I actually like it better than Glenfiddich (also 12 yr. single malt highland) which costs me $30/bottle (which is still pretty good considering the vodka I like is $40/bottle). It's got a nice mellow, yet still fairly strong flavor, and is unbelievably smooth. Sadly, I'm stuck in a small town in the middle of nowhere until the end of this year, so I haven't really been able to branch out and try much in the way of other things. The liquor store in town's only got blends and highland malts, and only a few brands of each.

What do other people like?
Chivas Regal is my friend...
---
One XP Box, One Suse Box, One Blue & White,
One ibook, One iMac 17 FP, one 30 gig iPod and a mini
happy .mac customer, os9 free since 3/24/01

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Feb 23, 2004, 04:52 AM

As someone who lives in the country, it is 'whisky' in Scotland. Most definately not 'Scotch'.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2004, 06:03 AM

Originally posted by engaged:
As someone who lives in the country, it is 'whisky' in Scotland. Most definately not 'Scotch'.
Whisky in Scotland and England
Wiskey in Ireland.
Scotch in USA.

I live in China so my choice is limited, I drink Red Label or JB (not Jim Beam!).

If im feeling very rich I will get a bottle of ballantines.

Chivas is average at best.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2004, 06:05 AM

Originally posted by ghost_flash:

I was at a tasting in California and they had red, black, and blue.
I actualy think the red is better than the black.

Never tried the Blue or Gold.

Forum Links
Forum Rules