Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How are you supposed to kill

How are you supposed to kill
ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2004, 01:13 PM

a lobster before eating it?

http://www.peta.org/news/96-97/fsf.htm

Fozz_uk
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2004, 01:17 PM

Yadda, yadda, yadda...

MacBook | 2GHz C2D | 1GB | 120GB | 10.5.1 |

Fozz_uk
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2004, 01:18 PM

Or maybe...

All hail the DIY store...
Yadda, yadda, yadda...

MacBook | 2GHz C2D | 1GB | 120GB | 10.5.1 |

benb
Mar 2, 2004, 01:20 PM

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2004, 01:32 PM

throw a toaster into the pot of water before you turn the heat on?

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2004, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by Phanguye:
throw a toaster into the pot of water before you turn the heat on?
Great suggestions so far! I love this one the best.
I'm suprised nobody has mentioned poisoning yet...

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2004, 01:40 PM

awwwwe, they walk hand in hand, leading the young. how utterly.... delicious.

i guess you could scare one to death. or hold its nose until it dies. or, boil it alive.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2004, 01:42 PM

Just use a good knife.

disectamac
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2004, 02:05 PM

I read somewhere that there is a place where they tie the lobster down on its back cut open it's stomach and stuff it with food. They serve it to you and you eat the stuffing while the lobster is still alive.

John F. Smith
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2004, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by disectamac:
I read somewhere that there is a place where they tie the lobster down on its back cut open it's stomach and stuff it with food. They serve it to you and you eat the stuffing while the lobster is still alive.
Wouldn't the white stuff (meat?) inside the lobster be all goopy and liquidy if you tried to eat it before cooking it?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2004, 02:53 PM

You're supposed to kill it by cooking it alive. If you don't the meat becomes toxic.

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Mar 2, 2004, 02:54 PM

Mmm... worked in the kitchens in a seafood restaurant many years ago when I was a teenager. Lobster has to be one of the most amazing foods, alongside real (read: expensive) caviar and grouse.

The problem is that a lobster is kinda hard to kill cleanly and tidily, thus leaving it presentable for eating. In boiling water, alive - sadly.

The owner was a complete cnut, though.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2004, 03:03 PM

A lobster who is being boiled alive will frantically scrape the sides of the pot, trying to escape the pain.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2004, 03:06 PM

I thought it was best to put them in a pot of water and let it come to a boil with them in it... they go to sleep or some such thing and never feel the pain.

`course, we always threw them on dry ice on the boat (Fla. rock lobsters, no claws), they were dead by the time we got back to the docks (froze to death). That, or just rip the tail off and throw the upper torso (head) back into the ocean.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

John F. Smith
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2004, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
I thought it was best to put them in a pot of water and let it come to a boil with them in it... they go to sleep or some such thing and never feel the pain.

`course, we always threw them on dry ice on the boat (Fla. rock lobsters, no claws), they were dead by the time we got back to the docks (froze to death). That, or just rip the tail off and throw the upper torso (head) back into the ocean.
mmm I get hungry just thinking about this

benb
Mar 2, 2004, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
While I am sure they feel some pain, as required by a survival, I would not trust PETA when they word things in such a way to make it sound like excruciating pain. In short, this is not as cruel as they make it out to be.

macroy
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2004, 03:30 PM

I remember having chinese "hot pot" at a seafood place in DC. They simply cut up the lobsters... so when you drop the different pieces in the water.. they'll move around. We had a blast putting the head in. Yea, we were young and dumb back then. Although now I think 'bout it - The movement may have been the muscle contracting/expanding in the hot water.

My mother hates "dead" seafood. She evidently can tell if the dish she ordered was dead before it was cooked.

Quote:

"Fish and lobsters are misunderstood animals who deserve a little kindness," says PETA's Tracy Reiman. "We wouldn't think of boiling or frying up dogs and cats, so, logically, it shouldn't be any different for sea animals."

hm.. I dunno, maybe it has more to do with taste than kindness? I hear dog is kinda tough. Also, do they suffer more boiled in water? or just having bites of them taken out like their predator would eat them?

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2004, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by benb:
While I am sure they feel some pain, as required by a survival, I would not trust PETA when they word things in such a way to make it sound like excruciating pain. In short, this is not as cruel as they make it out to be.
I should have posted this with my first one... sorry about that.

They don't feel any pain when dropped into a pot of boiling water. None at all.
The other post with the knife is the best way. You pierce their brain and no pain, then drop them into the pot of water.

Whatever the case, I can't afford lobster. I usually get monk fish. Poor man's lobster.
I also, love oysters. MMMMMMMM oysters. Remember though! ONLY during months that have an R in their name.

Happy Cooking!

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2004, 03:37 PM

someone should show up at PETA dressed as a carrot and cabbage, telling them that they too, were once alive!

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2004, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by dampeoples:
someone should show up at PETA dressed as a carrot and cabbage, telling them that they too, were once alive!
Don't laugh, some people actually will NOT eat a fruit or vegetable until after it has "died" or fallen from the tree. They think it is murder to pull a carrot out of the ground, or pick an apple or orange off of a tree. No kidding.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2004, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by ghost_flash:
Don't laugh, some people actually will NOT eat a fruit or vegetable until after it has "died" or fallen from the tree. They think it is murder to pull a carrot out of the ground, or pick an apple or orange off of a tree. No kidding.
�murder to pull a carrot out of the ground� Ha Ha!

And the angel of the lord came unto me. Snatching me up from my place of slumber, and took me on high, and higher still until we moved through the spaces betwixt the air itself. And he brought me into a vast farmland of our own midwest. And as we descended, cries of impending doom arose from the soil. One thousand, nay, a million voices full of fear. And terror possessed me then. And I begged: "Angel of the lord, what are these tortured screams?" And the angel said unto me: "These are the cries of the carrots. The cries of the carrot. You see, reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day, and to them, it is the holocaust." And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat with the tears of one million terrified brothers and roared: "Hear me now, I have seen the light. They have a consciousness! They have a life! They have a soul. Damn you! Let the rabbits wear glasses. Save our brothers. Can I get an amen. Can I get a haleluia. Thank you, Jesus."

disectamac
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2004, 05:04 PM

You're right, it may sound wierd to some but I've met people that feel this way. I couldn't pick a cherry or a berry off a bush or a tree without this person screaming No!!! stop!! you're killling it!!!! stop!!!

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2004, 05:14 PM

Well, I need to go on a diet anyway!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2004, 09:18 PM

According to Jeffery Steingarten in It must have been something I ate

knife through the brain. kindest.

dead in 15sec though in 100�C water.

I don't eat lobster b/c this idea makes me sick.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2004, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
You're supposed to kill it by cooking it alive.
Yes. The "proper" way is to drop it in a pot of boiling water (unless of course you're going to broil it).
Cooking a lobster that has been dead more than 30 minutes or so will either make you sick or taste like crap.
This is the reason for lobster tanks in restaurants. You want one that was alive moments ago.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2004, 10:25 PM

Sea cockroach. Yum!

We have lobster tanks in restaurants because we like to terrorize them first. It tenderizes the meat.

How to kill humanely.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2004, 10:30 PM

They don't feel any pain when dropped into a pot of boiling water. None at all.

Do you actually have any evidence of that? Like a recent scientific study where lobsters were specifically tested for pain response?

People used to say that fish don't feel pain. Well, that notion has been challenged. A recent study in which bee venom was injected around the mouths of fish revealed that the fish became stressed and exhibited behavior consistent with feeling pain after the venom was injected.

Granted, fish and lobsters have different nervous systems, but be careful when making such claims. At one time, most people said that dogs, cats, and other mammals didn't feel pain.

Finally, even if lobsters feel pain, that won't stop people from eating them. We eat almost anything that walks, breathes, swims, or flies on this planet, regardless of intelligence or scarcity or ability to feel pain.
( Last edited by Spliff; Mar 2, 2004 at 10:39 PM. )

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2004, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by Spliff:
Do you actually have any evidence of that? Like a recent scientific study where lobsters were specifically tested for pain response?

People used to say that fish don't feel pain. Well, that notion has been challenged. A recent study in which bee venom was injected around the mouths of fish revealed that the fish became stressed and exhibited behavior consistent with feeling pain after the venom was injected.

Granted, fish and lobsters have different nervous systems, but be careful when making such claims. At one time, most people said that dogs, cats, and other mammals didn't feel pain.

Finally, even if lobsters feel pain, that won't stop people from eating them. We eat almost anything that walks, breathes, swims, or flies on this planet, regardless of intelligence or scarcity or ability to feel pain.
Did Peta? I really don't care, as I said in a post of mine, I'm too poor to get lobster. I prefer to crusify monk fish. Poor man's lobster.

I love to eat animals though. The faster they run, the less fatty they are. Rabbits are tasty.
Frogs as well. Oysters, mmmmmmyummy.

We humans are carniverous, and loving it.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2004, 11:48 PM

"They walk hand and hand"

WTF? Umm, people, its called migration. They walk in lines. Hell, even bugs do that.. they're not sharing a casual walk along the ocean floor.

I'm not going to comment on whether they can feel pain the same way we do, but obviously they are much simpler. Honestly I couldn't care less, its going to die sooner or later and its probably not going to be of old age. Some animal with more brains than any PETA nut is going to rip it to shreddies and enjoy a tasty meal.

Oh, and fish don't start suffocating the "moment they're out of the water". Much the same way people don't start drowning the second they're in the water. The fact being fish can get a little bit of oxygen when out of the water. So long as its only a short period of time they are okay.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2004, 12:19 AM

I read somewhere that if you put a frog in room temperature water and slowly heat it to a boil, it will just sit there and boil to death. If you drop it into already-hot water, it will jump out (or attempt to).

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2004, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by Tulkas:
"They walk hand and hand"

WTF? Umm, people, its called migration. They walk in lines. Hell, even bugs do that.. they're not sharing a casual walk along the ocean floor.

I'm not going to comment on whether they can feel pain the same way we do, but obviously they are much simpler. Honestly I couldn't care less, its going to die sooner or later and its probably not going to be of old age. Some animal with more brains than any PETA nut is going to rip it to shreddies and enjoy a tasty meal.

Oh, and fish don't start suffocating the "moment they're out of the water". Much the same way people don't start drowning the second they're in the water. The fact being fish can get a little bit of oxygen when out of the water. So long as its only a short period of time they are okay.
Some fish have the ability to breath air, they have a dual system and switch from using their gills to a sort of lung equivolent. I'm not certain of the species, as I saw it on Jeff Corwin, and forgot.

I once caught several catfish as a young lad and was going to keep them for some odd reason in a bucket. Couldn't kill them. Well, they were motionless and I thought them dead so I buried them. A few hours later I found the groud messed up, so I dug down and retrieved the bag with the fish suddenly very animated.... so I put them in the bucket and my dad and I took them back to the pond and let them go. That was cool.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2004, 06:48 AM

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules