Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > John Peel has just died.

John Peel has just died.
engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Oct 26, 2004, 09:11 AM

Just heard that John Peel, the British radio presenter, has died: a heart attack whilst on holiday in Peru. I'm sure that music fans the world over will have heard of him.

I'm actually really upset, I've always taken his shows for granted until now.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 09:31 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...io/3955289.stm

v.v.sad.

I got in to him so late...

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2004, 09:51 AM

Wondered if this would have reached here yet. Just goes to show what a man he was and how many he touched. What other DJs death would end up on a geeky mac web forum? This guy was amazing and will be sadly missed by a hell of a lot of people.

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 09:51 AM

Very sad indeed, was a Radio broadcasting legend, been at Radio One since it started in 1967.

R.I.P.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 09:58 AM

RIP John and the Peel Sessions.

North America should be so lucky to get a DJ as great as he. The closest IMO was David Wisdom from CBC's Nightlines.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 10:03 AM

John Peel was part of my youth. The Thursday night John Peel radio shows saw me through countless exam cramming sessions.

I saw him recently on a 'Grumpy Old Men' promo on ITV. He also did a great slot on 'Things I wish I'd have known 20 years ago' where he talked about his marriage and his love for his wife. Very moving.

Very, very sad. He died far too young.

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2004, 10:56 AM

Very, very sad

RIP
12" Rev B PB

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Oct 26, 2004, 11:14 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Nov 7, 2004 at 01:36 PM. )

dencamp
Senior User
Oct 26, 2004, 11:20 AM

So much of the past 20 years of my life has returned to John Peel. When I was a chubby 12 year old, I could walk into a record store and see the silver Peel session sleave and know it was worth a listen. Now, fully twenty years later, I'm sitting in my office when the news broke. I was listening to the Joy Division Peel Session which I hadn't heard in probably 15 years. To borrow some slang, I am gutted.

Two steps forward (six steps back)

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 11:20 AM

V.V. Sad news indeed

I grew up listening to John Peel, and also listened to him every weekend on BBC Radio until very recently... he was responsible for me actively seeking to broaden my musical tastes when I was in my formative years. A real music legend.

Also his championing of Welsh Language Music, and bands like the Super Furry Animals, when no one else would, will also be close to my heart.

The world is a much worse off place for his passing. RIP John

**Edit**

Just found out he was also born in the town where I live now, Heswall, on the Wirral. Hope they do something to remember him, or have a lasting tribute in the town to him...

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
Location: Shipped to another country by the US to be tortured so they can avoid Int. law.
Oct 26, 2004, 11:43 AM

This is pretty tragic, listening to Peel was such a massive part of my life. He had one of the most memorable voices out there, and managed to play the best tunes ever. I remember listening to some of the most obscure music because of him.

So sad.

Rest well.
sanathana sarathi
si tacuisses philosophus mansisses

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2004, 11:46 AM

I've been listening to John on the radio for over half my lifetime. He's introduced me to so much music I don't know where to begin... I will truly miss him.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2004, 01:12 PM

Probably the most influential broadcast DJ of our time. This side of the pond anyway. A true champion of new and unknown music and an irreplaceable radio personality.

He'll be sorely missed. RIP.

mishap
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 03:57 PM

This is indeed sad. RIP

agentz
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 05:39 PM

A very sad thing indeed.

That's two people I spent a long time listening to gone - Tom Wilson earlier in the year and now John Peel.

John Peel introduced so many people to such a broad spectrum of music over the decades. He wasn't always a slick presenter and never made any excuses for it, I think he secretly enjoyed playing the odd record at the wrong speed. A fantastic voice, an obvious passion and a job he loved.

John Peel, 1939 - 2004

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2004, 07:58 PM

Never been a dj like him before, doubt there ever will be again.

My life was greatly enriched by listening to his show, he broadened my musical tastes, and taught me to seek out music from the less popular areas. He got me through some rough patches oer the years.

Taken from us far, far too soon.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 08:05 PM

My prayers go out to his family and friends. May he rest in Peace.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 03:01 AM

What a way to go out.

R.I.P., Mr. Peel.
I, ASIMO.

Forum Links
Forum Rules