Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Data transfer (external HD's)

Data transfer (external HD's)
asodamiac
Senior User
Mar 10, 2006, 06:39 PM

Now that my internal 100gb hard drive is starting to fill up, and I've started shooting RAW exclusively (average of 7-12mb each, for photography) I really need to start investing in an external HD!

I've looked at some external hard drives and even though they are $30 +/- $20 dollars more than a regular internal HD, I think that it would be a better long term investment to invest in an enclosure and replace the HD's as they get filled.

My main question, is, is it worth it to spend $50 dollars (on average) more for an external enclosure that has FW800? My powerbook does support FW800, but it seems as if FW technology isn't moving anywhere, and while it IS SUPER fast compared to USB 2.0, I'm not sure if its worth the extra $50. I also plan on using the external HD as a scratch disk when I work in photoshop. I can also use it to boot off of it because the HD I plan on buying will be a lot faster than the current internal HD inside my powerbook. This poses another question...

If I do invest in a 7200rpm HD with a 16mb cache, will it be pointless to put it in a USB 2.0 enclosure? Would it be best to just invest the extra cash in a FW800 enclosure?

I just went through the thread below this (maybe above at some point ) about USB vs FW. Just thought I'd post this again since I have a different type of question (per se).

Thanks for any help!
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2006, 10:00 PM

If needing a PC Card for now (should be integrated in the future) doesn't bother you, go with eSATA. I expect Apple (and the rest of the industry) will integrate it into laptops and desktops in the coming years. It gives you better performance than FW800, and the card plus an enclosure about the price of a good FW800 enclosure.

If you don't want to use eSATA, decide between FW400 and FW800 enclosures. The USB2 chipsets in the PPC Macs make USB not worth considering.

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Mar 10, 2006, 10:52 PM

Thanks mduell. Guess I'll have to buckle down and spend a bit more for the FW800.
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

mountainash
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2006, 12:19 PM

The more data you are going to transfer at once, the faster the interface you want. FW800 won't actually be twice the speed of FW400, more like 50%. Look here: http://www.barefeats.com/usb2.html

FW800 enclosures are only about 50USD more, so it is worth considering. OWC has one for 80USD. There are also enclosures that do FW800/FW400/USB2/USB1.1. So all bases would be covered.
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 533MHz 1.5GiB RAM, 2x 80Gb ATA HDDs, 320Gb SATA HDD, Radeon 9650 256MiB, Airport Extreme compatible PCI card, Zip 250, Pioneer 110, Firewire DVD burner, 21" CRT, Harmon Kardon Apple Pro Speakers, OS X 10.4.6
Powerbook Pismo G3 400MHz, 768MiB RAM, 80Gb HDD, AirPort Extreme PC Card, Bluetooth 1.1, DVD-ROM, OS X 10.4.6, Ubuntu 5.10, MacOS 9.2.2
To buy: RAM for Pismo, CPU upgrades

Forum Links
Forum Rules