Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 pop..then stop.

G5 pop..then stop.
the macimum
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2006, 07:49 AM

Hey, I have always wanted to ask if it was ok to keep your powermac on the carpet, (because of static electricity and the metal and stuff). But thats not why i am here, I was turning on my powermac G5 (on the carpet), and after OsX booted up, I heard this huge Pop noise. Nothing started smoking, or smelled, after I unplugged it and opened it up, I plugged it back in, the little yellow light (the 1 that shows Ac is plugged in correctly) was lit, but behing the fans (the ones you have to take out to install the RAM, there was a little red light lit. After closing the cover, I press the power button and it lights up, and makes the quick noise it makes when you are about to boot up, then the light turns off, and the computer doesn't turn on. I had it plugged into a UPS and I tried plugging itm into a regular power srtip and it did the same thing. Can anyone tell me what heppened, or what to do. By the way, I was using: PowerMac G5, dual 2.0 with 512 megs.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 06:59 PM

is it still under warranty? If so, call Apple.
If it's not under warranty, try reseating things. The pop could mean something is dead but it's odd that there were no weird smells. Check all connections and remove un-needed peripherals and try again.

Good luck,

Sean.

kick52
Baninated
Apr 8, 2006, 03:55 PM

my powermac g4 (sig) makes a "throop" noise when going into sleep mode (deep, with breathing light) i think thats normal. it starts of high and then goes low (is about less than a second long. i'll try to record it)

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 8, 2006, 05:05 PM

Well then why not try resetting the PMU?

the macimum  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2006, 09:35 AM

I already did..tried everything.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2006, 10:05 AM

I think something blew. Take it to your local service center and pray to God your
warranty/Applecare is still in effect.

Krauti
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2006, 02:42 PM

This is a known problem somehow related to the G5's massive PSU, and another symptom of the "random shutdown" problem the G5s have.

This predominantly happens in the 120V countries and usually requires a PSU replacement, but there have been reports of atrocious cluelessness on Apple's technicians' side all over the internet, with people telling horror stories of having about any component in their G5 replaced except for the PSU because technicians weren't able to reproduce either the pop or the shutdown in their labs.

Needless to say, if the usual SMU-reset doesn't help you, you're in for a replacement.

the macimum  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2006, 08:57 AM

I'm pretty sure it was the Power Supply that blew.

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2006, 11:10 AM

Would a PS make a "throop" sound or a "pop" sound? I was kind of thinking it might sound like a "thwack." (feels like an old Batman TV episode)

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 16, 2006, 11:33 AM

A power supply would most certainly go pop although i'm suprised there weren't any strange smells.

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2006, 05:48 PM

Yeah, I've heard that a few times since I'm an satellite communications technician. I was making fun of "throop" as it reminded me of those funny "sounds" they printed on the TV show Batman back 20 years ago.

SASouth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2006, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by cgc
Yeah, I've heard that a few times since I'm an satellite communications technician. I was making fun of "throop" as it reminded me of those funny "sounds" they printed on the TV show Batman back 20 years ago.
Uh... If you're talking about the Batman TV show that I remember, it was 40 years ago, not 20. :

mountainash
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2006, 06:41 PM

Best reason not to keep the power mac on th carpet is not static but dust. Especially a G5. It can suck in quite a lot of dust and jam up the fans.

As for the pop, I'd say 90% that it is the PSU. Replacing is the easiest test/fix. Take it to a tech centre, if it is under warranty, get it tested/fixed, if it is out of warranty then ask them to test/replace the PSU. If you aren't under warranty and you just ask them to 'fix it', then they will run too many tests and charge you more money.
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 533MHz 1.5GiB RAM, 2x 80Gb ATA HDDs, 320Gb SATA HDD, Radeon 9650 256MiB, Airport Extreme compatible PCI card, Zip 250, Pioneer 110, Firewire DVD burner, 21" CRT, Harmon Kardon Apple Pro Speakers, OS X 10.4.6
Powerbook Pismo G3 400MHz, 768MiB RAM, 80Gb HDD, AirPort Extreme PC Card, Bluetooth 1.1, DVD-ROM, OS X 10.4.6, Ubuntu 5.10, MacOS 9.2.2
To buy: RAM for Pismo, CPU upgrades

the macimum  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2006, 11:55 PM

I tried resetting the PSU, or maybe that was the PMU? They sound alike, the one that is reset by taking the fan housing out to install the RAM is the one... That didnt work, so I took it to my Compusa.

the macimum  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2006, 08:13 PM

ugh, compusa is stupid, let alone the service.. they called me and said, that the mac is still under warranty (less than a year old) and it would be free to replace the powersupply, (turned out it was the problem). Then they said, "oh by the way, you will need to take it to an apple store, we no longer have a mac tech on staff". WTF They are a registered Apple Service Center! They should at least take the sticker down from the window if this "staff" crap is true. So this weekend, I will tkae it to one. Dows any one know how long this process of service takes? Am i lucky enough for them to have one in the "back"?

wupboxer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2006, 12:01 AM

Although this was posted 9 days ago... Apple technicians are usually fast, within a week or so, depending on your area ... Definitely a PSU problem, It's happened to me. If it's a capacitor that blows, there shouldn't be any smoke, and you'll sure as hell hear a loud pop (as it vents and releases the electrolyte).

the macimum  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2006, 08:38 PM

Very good, I got my G5 back, and while I was there, picked up an extra 1.5 gigs DDR2, as well as a second 20 incher. So now I have plenty of RAM and space to use Aperture!

Amorya
Mac Elite
May 2, 2006, 06:08 PM

Happened to me after 2 weeks of ownership. It was the PSU, and Apple just sent me a whole new machine. It is apparently a known problem.
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

the macimum  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2006, 11:13 AM

WOAH! They sent you a whole new G5?! Did you get to keep your old one as well?!

kick52
Baninated
May 6, 2006, 07:43 AM

i wouldnt think so. they could take the old g5 back in for repairs and then put it on the refurbish site.

Forum Links
Forum Rules