Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Just Picked up a Quicksilver

Just Picked up a Quicksilver
calm down
Banned
Apr 12, 2006, 09:17 PM

So, I was comtemplating getting a cheap G3 B&W to use as a server and was looking on CL and saw this QS for $140. It includes 1GB, 60GB, 2 SCSI cards (though I have no drives), and a DVD Burner. Machine seems to nice to use as a file server, but hey why not. I use my G4 15in 1.5 Powerbook as a primary machine. Any ideas?

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2006, 09:48 PM

Are you sure it is a Quicksilver for that price? Some people call a Digital Audio or earlier PM G4s "Quicksilver" even though they aren't. To verify, get a picture and also verify exactly what processor it has.

calm down  (op)
Banned
Apr 12, 2006, 10:08 PM

Yes I am pretty sure. I using it right now. I rushed over in a hurry. A guy in a corporate IT department had it. Only way I got it was that I e-mail about 7 minutes after the CL posting. I just happened to be looking at getting a G3 when it popped up. And I almost passed on e-mailing him because I already have 3 computers and jus wanted somethign dirt cheap as server. But some things you just can't pass.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2006, 10:16 PM

You can easily tell if it is a Quicksilver--they have the silver front, not the silver-blue front. But also be sure to find out exactly what processor it has.

calm down  (op)
Banned
Apr 12, 2006, 11:45 PM

Oh, hmmm. I'll check the processor. Either way I am stoked for $140. What is the difference between the two? Whatever model it is, I think I got a good deal. I just have to decide what to do with it. Probably will be server after I play with it for awhile. Probably no need for Tiger Server, Tiger has everything I should need for the home or from some quick d/l's and will be easier to manage than my linux.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2006, 01:09 AM

Yes, it sounds like a very good deal.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2006, 08:55 AM

_____
Originally Posted by vcryption
Oh, hmmm. I'll check the processor..
Did you figure out what you got?

calm down  (op)
Banned
Apr 15, 2006, 12:35 PM

You were right, not a QS, but still nice. I have to see if my IDE controller I was using in my Linux box will be recognized by OSX so that I can use my 200 GB drives. I am thinking of making this a file/music server and getting a B&W as a web server. We'll see. Runs like a champ, so I am happy.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2006, 02:20 PM

….....................
Originally Posted by vcryption
Runs like a champ, so I am happy..
Great!

mountainash
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2006, 07:10 PM

Good buy! Even if it was no Quicksilver. The advantage of earlier models, is that they are quieter.

I am interested to know about the SCSI cards installed. Most of the SCSI cards in PowerMacs I have seen are simple things designed for legacy peripherals. There are some good cards, though.

Also, please inform us of you're experience with the IDE controller. I have heard of a mythical IDE controller supported by OSX, but not bootable. Seems ideal for an "always on system" like a server.
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 533MHz 1.5GiB RAM, 2x 80Gb ATA HDDs, 320Gb SATA HDD, Radeon 9650 256MiB, Airport Extreme compatible PCI card, Zip 250, Pioneer 110, Firewire DVD burner, 21" CRT, Harmon Kardon Apple Pro Speakers, OS X 10.4.6
Powerbook Pismo G3 400MHz, 768MiB RAM, 80Gb HDD, AirPort Extreme PC Card, Bluetooth 1.1, DVD-ROM, OS X 10.4.6, Ubuntu 5.10, MacOS 9.2.2
To buy: RAM for Pismo, CPU upgrades

Forum Links
Forum Rules