Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Folding @home

Folding @home
macdude22
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2002, 12:04 AM

Is any one else testing the new folding client. Its seeming to be pretty slow. But I havent had any crashing problems with it yet. 7% done so far at about 3 hours on a g4 533. Now where near the speed of seti and ubero

-alex-
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man."

reader50
Administrator
Feb 11, 2002, 01:35 AM

I downloaded both client versions. They are on my desktop, right next to the Ubero client.

Doubtless, this means I will be testing the Folding clients soon.

macdude22  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2002, 09:17 AM

I'm at 35% done and nearly 12 hours into the wu.

macdude22  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2002, 05:23 PM

i'm at 54% nearing 20 hours, there needs to be some optimizations here i think. I dont know much about how these work but I think I'm going to switch back to ubero for now after i complete a WU. I'm going to lay of seti right now as I want to compute for a worthy cause.

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2002, 11:35 PM

i want to try out the beta versions, but the link no longer works. Can someone give me a new working link, or if they're not posted anywhere can someone put them on their iDisk, or email them to me? Thanks in advance.
-- SBS --

reader50
Administrator
Feb 13, 2002, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by SkiBikeSki:
<STRONG>i want to try out the beta versions, but the link no longer works. Can someone give me a new working link, or if they're not posted anywhere can someone put them on their iDisk, or email them to me? Thanks in advance.</STRONG>
Based on the responses in the Yahoo discussion groups, these betas have a serious lockup/crash/upload problem at the 99%-100% mark. It looks like the developer pulled the files.

I'm going to try the CLI version I think, though reports have even included full kernel panics.

macdude22  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2002, 09:40 AM

I didn't have any lockig up or crashing problems, but It took 3 days to finish a WU and from what i understand thats close to the deadling for a WU. I know my G4 533 isn't the fastest but I can crunch a Seti WU in 11 hours or less (GUI) and Ubero flies!

reader50
Administrator
Feb 18, 2002, 09:01 PM

I crunched one Folding@home unit using the CLI client.
Mac: G4 350 Sawtooth, 384 MB, X 10.0.4

It required 48 hours (it was not running full time). I did not observe any unacceptable behavior, but it did fail many times to upload the result before finally managing it. The client kept the finished unit safe until it could get a confirmed upload. If you have upload trouble, the client will get a fresh work unit to crunch. Stop and restart the client, it will try to upload the finished unit each time it starts.

On the down side, the client crunches 100 frames per work unit. Only completed frames are saved to disk, it will restart the current frame from the beginning each time the client is quit and restarted. Try to do your quitting right after a frame has completed. This applies to the CLI of course, I have not tested the GUI.

Since the CLI client at least seems ok, I expect to mirror the clients tonight.

Oh, and Team MacNN has it's first member now. Read it and weep.
http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/teampage?q=16

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 19, 2002, 04:29 AM

I'm letting the client run for a little while on one of my linux boxes.
Nothing big, as I don't want to split my power too much.
The box it's running on runs ubero part time (56k) and it also runs seti for reader50.
I'll see about scraping up a computer and leaving folding on it. I'd just rather not get any more for a little while
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 19, 2002, 01:19 PM

You will never pass my #1 team position!
ps - we do nasty things to captives.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 19, 2002, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by reader50:
<STRONG>You will never pass my #1 team position!
ps - we do nasty things to captives. </STRONG>
You'll be passed soon
My website

<marc>
Feb 21, 2002, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by reader50:
<STRONG>I crunched one Folding@home unit using the CLI client.
Mac: G4 350 Sawtooth, 384 MB, X 10.0.4
Since the CLI client at least seems ok, I expect to mirror the clients tonight.

Oh, and Team MacNN has it's first member now. Read it and weep.
http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/teampage?q=16</STRONG>
The GUI client ended in an endless loop continously downloading. I quit it normally from the app's menu and it caused a kernel panic! Very nice

So I'm trying out the CLI and may join your team. However there are a number of problems with the CLI too:
-It doesn't have a 'nice' option so you have to nice it yourself on the command line.
-It starts a subprocess 'Core_65.exe' which it doesn't kill when you kill the main 'fah2-osx' process. It seems to detach the subprocess so writing a script to kill it with various signals failed, none of them are passed from the main process. The only way woud likely be a brute force 'ps |grep Core_65 | ...'

I've emailed the author of SetiDockling and asked him if he's interrested in writing a plug-in for it to run the cli. I'll post again when I get a reply.
Cheers,
Marc

reader50
Administrator
Feb 21, 2002, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by &lt;marc&gt;:
<STRONG>... So I'm trying out the CLI and may join your team. However there are a number of problems with the CLI too:
-It doesn't have a 'nice' option so you have to nice it yourself on the command line.
-It starts a subprocess 'Core_65.exe' which it doesn't kill when you kill the main 'fah2-osx' process...</STRONG>
Don't "kill" the CLI client. Instead, press Control-C in the client's window. This did indeed shut down both the client interface, and the core_65 cruncher. At least, that is what it did for me. If Control-C doesn't work, try Control-X. Both work in the SETI and RC5 CLI clients.

<Marc>
Feb 23, 2002, 01:38 AM

Ctrl-C won't work for me since I run it in the background. I'm not interrested in tying up a terminal screen all the time for it. Many times I quit the terminal altogether and don't want seti or in this case fah to stop, since it's niced up to 19 and fah takes less than 6MB of RAM to run.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 24, 2002, 02:48 AM

ok reader50, I passed you.
My website

Forum Links
Forum Rules