Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Adobe web collection or Macromedia web collection?

Adobe web collection or Macromedia web collection?
Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 21, 2001, 02:41 AM

I've never used any web development software, but I was browsing in my campus computing store, and I can get the adobe one for $300 or the macromedia one for $250.
I figure that for that price, I might as well get one.
So, which one should I get?
I have no experience with either.
I run OSX on a Ti500 with 512MB ram, and OSX on a G3-400 with 384MB ram.

I can boot into OS9 though.

Which do you think I should get?
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

tenacious-c
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2001, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by Scotttheking:
<STRONG>I've never used any web development software, but I was browsing in my campus computing store, and I can get the adobe one for $300 or the macromedia one for $250.
I figure that for that price, I might as well get one.
So, which one should I get?
I have no experience with either.
I run OSX on a Ti500 with 512MB ram, and OSX on a G3-400 with 384MB ram.

I can boot into OS9 though.

Which do you think I should get?</STRONG>
If you are adept at Photoshop/Illustrator, I'd go with the Adobe collection. The interface is a snap to learn, as they've unified their interface across their product line. Additionally, GoLive looks really nice on X (should be out in October, if rumors are true--maybe you'd get a cheap upgrade).

LiveMotion sucks in my experience. No real scripting capabilities, so if Flash is included in the Macromedia kit, that's worth thinking about.

Bottom line: if you have a design background, go with the Adobe stuff, but if you are interested in multimedia (and Flash is included in the Macromedia set), go with MM.

I've got Dreamweaver, GoLive, Fireworks, Imageready, and all that, by the way, and I have used all of them extensively.

Just my 2 cents.
\ \ Chris

Scotttheking  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 21, 2001, 02:33 PM

I don't know anything about any of them.
It is the full web collection.
So should I go for Macromedia?
My website

nitram
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2001, 10:43 AM

I have the MM studio and love it. DW is very easy to use for someone with a non-coding background like me. Even a non-graphics background like me (prev. used Claris Homepage). Haven't used GoLive.

Fireworks is easier to use and more "web set up" than Imageready. ImageReady is good for bitmappy things (just like Photoshop) but Fireworks has a lot more vector-like tools as well as having reasonable bitmap tools. It can even do a reasonable job with low quality print graphics (around HP colour laser quality, not printing press quality).

Flash I find difficult to use, but I've never used the Adobe equivalent either. But I made this today and I'm happy! http://www.eicat.com/flashintro.html (work in progress).

Dunno nuffin 'bout Illustrator versus Freehand yet. Both have their adherents/opponents.

My recommendation: Macromedia suite, doubly so if you will be doing mostly web stuff.

Would anyone out there in internet-land recommend waiting for the next Dreamweaver/Fireworks/Flash upgrades before buying? Must be due in the next 4 - 5 months.

ervier
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2001, 12:42 PM

This is a difficult question. I would buy them both. For the price of both collections, I get only one of the applications here in Europe. Anyway, I prefer Photoshop and Illustrator over Fireworks and Freehand (although Freehand is carbonized, which is very nice). On the other hand, dreamweaver and flash are considered much better than golive or livemotion. Because I do more webdeveloping than image editing, I would go with MM. If you were familiar with photoshop and illustrator, than changing to fireworks and freehand would be a bad thing I guess, but that's not the case here, so you won't know the difference.
"Chance is irrelevant. We will succeed."
== 7 of 9 ==

Scotttheking  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 26, 2001, 01:13 PM

Thx for the advice.
My website

nitram
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2001, 10:47 PM

Forgot to mention: grab as many demos as you can.

MM have demos for all the apps that last for 30 days. No "save disabled, watermarked, feature incomplete" demos, the full thing.

slimshady023
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2001, 10:32 PM

Hey Scott -

Spend some time and download the demos before plunking down that kind of money -- do some research, man! I would personally go for the Adobe collection, because Photoshop is easy and functional. Basically, it's the undisputed champ of pushing pixels. It's nicely integrated with ImageReady (which makes great for web graphics), and GoLive rounds out the package nicely.

Like someone else commented, if you're into Flash -- Macromedia is your choice. For anything else, I would go for Adobe.

later,
- slim

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2001, 10:21 AM

Personally, I'm an Adobe guy... but it's all a matter of opinion. Definately check out demos.

Really think about what you want. If you intend on doing animation intensive stuff, think about Flash. Although I prefer LiveMotion because of the "Adobe-ized" interface, it definately doesn't have ALL the capabilities of Flash. And if you aren't held back by previous experience, Flash is easy to learn.

The combination of Photoshop and Illustrator is a deadly web graphics team. Both programs are indespensible for me. I have used GoLive since version 1.0 and I can't live without it either. Dreamweaver/GoLive debates can be as bad as Windows/Mac... each are great products. I prefer GoLive, but there are some things Dreamweaver offers that I lust for (all the add on extensions, for one). But the site management abilities and the integration with Illustrator/Photoshop/Livemotion make GoLive my choice.

Bottom line is, try the demos. See which makes YOU feel comfortable.

Then buy both. LOL
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Scotttheking  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 30, 2001, 04:50 PM

Ok, I'll get em both.
Please send the money to pay for em both $550 using Paypal to [email protected]

Thx.
My website

Forum Links
Forum Rules