Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > want info on Powerbook 520c

want info on Powerbook 520c
Woody in KC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2000, 10:50 PM

I'm an i-Mac user who was given an old 520c, I need information on what I can do
with it. I've tried with no success to load and use a jpeg slide program on it. It does not want to reconize the jpeg images ??? I would also like to use it to keep my students grades and do some simple word processing, but my top concern would be display of digital images in slide form. Also where can I get a battery
charger ? Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

DougMac
Jul 12, 2000, 01:41 AM

Dunno about a slide show program, but remember this is a 68040 processor so you'll have to avoid any software that requires a PPC.

As far as the battery charger goes, good luck finding one. VST made the most common charger, but stopped making it a long time ago. You can find them on eBay for about $75-$100. I'm looking for one myself but there is no way I'll pay those ridiculous prices. At the same time batteries are ~$50 a piece so if a charger keeps them from going bad, it may be worth it.

There is also some shareware software that will drain batteries and hopefully breathe life into them: http://members.aol.com/jbkezer/amnesia.html

But first use VST's Emmpathy software to check the batteries. I can't find it right now but dig around and you'll find it. If you're on eBay, pick up an AAUI transceiver so that you can connect your iMac and PB520 - then you can use the Powerbook as a cheap floppy drive!

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2000, 09:33 AM

There is an older version of GraphicConvertor that has the slideshow capability. Also, make sure you have Quicktime 4 installed. Email me for more info.

Forum Links
Forum Rules