Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod shuffle no longer recognized

iPod shuffle no longer recognized
susscrofa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2005, 08:38 AM

The problem: Flashing green and yellow lights, iPod shuffle no longer recognized. I just had this happen to 2 different ipod shuffles on 2 differnt mac computers. both shuffles were working fine prior to being conntected after an upgrade to latest version of itunes. the shuffles are not showing up in the finder, and not recognized by itunes or the ipod updater. all attempts to restore the ipods have failed. I have five Macintosh computers, all well maintained with the latest versions of all software. Startup Disks are all verified with no problems, permissions too. This is a recent problem that must be related to the most recent itunes upgrade or the 10.4.3 upgrade. My 2 shuffles worked fine until this week. I have tried to restore the software but the iPod updater does not recognize the iPod shuffle. From reading the apple discussion groups and a few other sites on the web, I am not the only shuffle owner with this problem.

Anybody in macnn land having this problem? Found a solution?

vickster
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2005, 07:28 PM

Just tried to load some new tunes on my 1GB Shuffle and neither my iBook or my PC will recognize my Shuffle. System Profiler on the iBook shows the iPod is recognized by the USB port, but it won't mount. My PC shows the Shuffle as a removable disk in "My Computer." However, iTunes will not recognize the Shuffle on either platform. I've never had a problem until now - updated iTunes to v. 6 on both computers, the iBook runs 10.4.2 and the PC WinXP Pro. WTF?

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2005, 08:43 PM

This will be of limited help, but I'm running 10.4.3 with iTunes 6 and my shuffle is a-OK. Update to 10.4.3?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2005, 09:17 PM

Same thing happened to my daughter's 512MB Shuffle. Blinking yellow/green (error) lights. Wouldn't mount on the desktop (neither on a Mac or PC) and couldn't reset it. Took it to my local Apple Store today. The Genius there fiddled with it for a few moments, then replaced it on the spot. Gotta like service like that

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2005, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by vickster
Just tried to load some new tunes on my 1GB Shuffle and neither my iBook or my PC will recognize my Shuffle. System Profiler on the iBook shows the iPod is recognized by the USB port, but it won't mount. My PC shows the Shuffle as a removable disk in "My Computer." However, iTunes will not recognize the Shuffle on either platform. I've never had a problem until now - updated iTunes to v. 6 on both computers, the iBook runs 10.4.2 and the PC WinXP Pro. WTF?
Try using the iPod Updater/Restore software to do a complete reset of it. My problem was that it wasn't even being recognized as being plugged in to the computer.

vickster
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2005, 07:56 AM

System Profiler acknowledges that the Shuffle is plugged in, but iTunes does not, so the iPod update/restore option is not accessible.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2005, 10:46 PM

Check out the Apple iPod Shuffle discussion groups. Seems like a lot of people are having the same problem. Looking like a bug in the 10-12 iPod updater.

vickster
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2005, 09:26 PM

Tell me something I don't know.

...like how to fix the damn thing.

- vickster

vickster
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2005, 09:50 AM

So has anyone tried the new iPod updater (11-17-05). My shuffle still sits there, blinking yellow-orange light, still not recognized. iPod Updater says to plug in the iPod, neither options (update and restore) are available, still not recognized in iTunes or on the desktop.

I'm beginning to get pissed off...

- vickster

Sofad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2005, 10:28 AM

Same problem here. Tiger 10.4.3, iTunes 6.0.1.

When i connect the shuffle the green light turns on but nothing happens.

iTunes/iPod Updater don't see the shuffle...

Reinstalled iTunes, no change...

lercs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2006, 06:20 PM

well my roomate and i both have shuffles and his is doing the crazy green and amber light flashing and not being reconized, and i tried it on my computer to see if i could get my computer to reconize it, and now my computer doesnt reconize my shuffle either

anyone have a solution

Bturn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2006, 12:14 AM

It is a big hush hush from Apple. I think Jobs might be trying to completly shake the shuffle loose and not have a fix for it with the itunes update. The last update ruined the ipod to work naturally. Doing the restore all the time is not the way it should be, or going back to an eariier version of itunes. I reallhy get bugged how Apple is so good at avoiding this issure. It is really sad. It has made a LOT of costumers feel different about how they used to feel I have read too many post on the green and orange blinking lights. Which they change, there was close to 2000 posts then the next day it went up a bit.

They really are avoiding the customers that bought the 512 shuffle on this alot. Even when you go into their store they give you a new one and then it could even make problems with your G\5 etc.

khurtwilliams
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2006, 09:36 PM

So just a few days ago after the recent iTunes update my wife's ipod shuffle has the yellow/green blink and is not longer recognized by iTunes on either my mac mini or Windows XP machine. My iPod nano is still recognized and syncable so at first I thought the shuffle was broken. I plan to test with my sister in laws pc which has no upgrade iTunes as yet.

DCapple
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2006, 10:54 PM

im planning to get an iPod and i havent decided if a shuffle or a nano...does it means i should get a nano with this bug with shuffle? please give advise..
My Bookmarks
- Danica

B-Line
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2006, 08:31 AM

Hi had similar problem. while updating iTunes, shuffle juz went freez and iTunes could not recognize shuffle anymore. even tired using ipod updater but then it also not able to detect the ipod. I searched everywhere in the web for the solution but could not find any.
couple of places I read that Apple repalced the ipod itself for similar problems. But I wanted to try all the possible solution by myself and

finally I used windows xp disk managemnet where it shows ipod as removable disk
you can right click and format using some file system ( i formatted using FAT filesystem)
then used ipod updater software to restore it.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2006, 02:33 AM

had this happen to my 1 gig. took it to the apple store, they fiddled with it for a bit than replaced it. had to pay them 30 bucks though since it was in its last month of its 1 year of standard apple care.

Brass

Dr.Michael
May 30, 2006, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
had this happen to my 1 gig. took it to the apple store, they fiddled with it for a bit than replaced it. had to pay them 30 bucks though since it was in its last month of its 1 year of standard apple care.

Brass
WHAT? Why this? This should have been free even if the shuffle had been in its last DAY of warranty. One year only is short enough. Anyone else gives two or even three years of warranty.
I would try to get this money back and kick the store guys ass!
Whats your country?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2006, 09:53 PM

yeah i was kinda flustered about it, but i was going to get a working ipod back, so i didnt really give a damn about the $30. come to think about it, i should find the contract online and see if the $30 thing is legit or not. im in the USA

Brass

edit: i actually found the warranty that came with an ipod of mine and i qoute "First 6 months they replace it for free. Second 6 months it is $30."
kinda sucks, it shouldn't be like that but oh well
( Last edited by brassplayersrock²; May 30, 2006 at 10:18 PM. )

Dr.Michael
May 31, 2006, 07:52 AM

Wow, I am shocked!
I did a search, and indeed, here is what the limited warranty says:

"If a defect arises and a valid claim is received by Apple after the first one hundred and eighty (180) days of the Warranty Period, a shipping and handling charge will apply to any repair or exchange of the product undertaken by Apple."

Shipping and handling - thats what the 30$ are for. Its exactly the same in my country (germany). I did not know that. Very bad service!

id10t12
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2007, 02:38 PM

Okie...here is the crude fix i did to get my shuffle workng again

1. Uninstall Itunes and quicktime both from your machine
2. Plug in your ipod..it would be recognized as a removable disk. Right click and format the ipod using FAT32 format. unplug it from your machine
3. Reinstall the latest version of iTunes...
4. Plug back the ipod...and volha!!! Its magic..

the shuffle starts working again...just like new..

I know its a pain to go through all these steps...but atleast i didnt have to go through the trouble of mailing my ipod back...

CHeers..

Anvi

marcrapp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2007, 01:22 PM

Hey all,

I used Disk Utilities to verify the drive ( with iTunes open).
After doing so, I was promoted to restore the shuffle back to it's factory settings–through iTunes.

After about 7 minutes, my shuffle mounted with default settings. Works great.

Good luck.

Johnny Neat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2008, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by id10t12 View Post
Okie...here is the crude fix i did to get my shuffle workng again

1. Uninstall Itunes and quicktime both from your machine
2. Plug in your ipod..it would be recognized as a removable disk. Right click and format the ipod using FAT32 format. unplug it from your machine
3. Reinstall the latest version of iTunes...
4. Plug back the ipod...and volha!!! Its magic..

the shuffle starts working again...just like new..

I know its a pain to go through all these steps...but atleast i didnt have to go through the trouble of mailing my ipod back...

CHeers..

Anvi
Is this crude fix for a MAC as well?

Originally Posted by marcrapp View Post
Hey all,

I used Disk Utilities to verify the drive ( with iTunes open).
After doing so, I was promoted to restore the shuffle back to it's factory settings–through iTunes.

After about 7 minutes, my shuffle mounted with default settings. Works great.

Good luck.
Or is this for MAC?

Sorry if I sound out of my element here but in this case I am. All help would be amazingly appreciated. Instructions on getting this to worl again on my MAC is needed.

I'm not feeling the issues I have with two Shuffles recently. One was a gift from christmas 06 and was not reported to me till now because my friend was embarrased after I set it up for her and told her it was a cinch to operate Apple products. Now I want it to work for her. I also Came to find that the one I got my GF that same christmas does the same thing. We never used it because in the end her iPod was used for what the shuffle was intended for. Now we've tried it and it's doing the same thing as my gifted shuffle. So I need some help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules