Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Friend Broke My Macbook

Friend Broke My Macbook
Kasey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2006, 04:28 PM

my friend stepped on my macbook screen and refuses to pay for it. apple doesn't cover broken screens even in the extended warranty.

WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT IT?

should i take her to court or something? would it be a small claims court?
it's 750+ to fix it.
( Last edited by Kasey; Nov 10, 2006 at 05:00 PM. )

chadseld
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2006, 04:48 PM

You have to pay Apple to fix it. It's a bummer. Did you purchase the MB with a credit card that provides some lap top insurance? Some cards include that as a perk.
If your computer stops responding for a long time, turn it off and then back on. - Microsoft

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2006, 04:49 PM

Nothing, unfortunately. Next time get Safeware.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

xsphat
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2006, 04:54 PM

You need to punch your friend in his or her mouth.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Nov 10, 2006, 04:55 PM

yeah, pretty much, make your friend pay for it...or go to their place and step on their laptops/tvs

Kasey  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2006, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by xsphat View Post
You need to punch your friend in his or her mouth.
agreed

Kasey  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2006, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by chadseld View Post
You have to pay Apple to fix it. It's a bummer. Did you purchase the MB with a credit card that provides some lap top insurance? Some cards include that as a perk.

I used a visa. I'm not sure about the perks.

rjt1000
Senior User
Nov 10, 2006, 05:08 PM

Well you could bring your friend to small claims court to try to make her pay, but I doubt it would work or be worth the time and effort involved.

You could check with your homeowners or renters insurance to see if it is covered. My friend dropped his PB and the homeowners insurance paid for the repair.

And I agree, best bet for the future:

Laptop Insurance From Safeware

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2006, 05:38 PM

Convence your "friend" of how great macs are and get her to buy a MacBook for herself. Then switch out the screens while she's away.

rjt1000
Senior User
Nov 10, 2006, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
it's 750+ to fix it.
If you have to pay for it yourself, you might consider buying a refurb (they just dropped the price on the original MBs) and selling the broken one on eBay. Of course it has lost a lot of value, but it may be worth more than you think to someone who could repair it themselves, use it in clamshell mode with an external monitor, or use it for parts

e.g. this MBP: eBay: Macbook Pro screen broken, case bent, selling for parts (item 190045965662 end time Nov-04-06 11:52:11 PST) or

this iBook: eBay: ibook G4 with Broken Screen/Good for Parts (item 330044691514 end time Nov-06-06 18:30:00 PST)

kick52
Baninated
Nov 11, 2006, 12:07 PM

you could buy another macbook off of ebay which is going for parts or something, or you could probably just get a screen of ebay AND THEN punch your friend very hard, but if you dont want to because its a girl, just really hurt her feelings.

Good Luck!

guapagirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2006, 01:48 PM

...and if you do get another screen / macbook don't leave it somewhere stupid where someone can step on it because leaving a hideously expensive AND fragile piece of machinery where people walk is, in my opinion plain dumb!

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2006, 04:59 PM

Pictures???

kick52
Baninated
Nov 11, 2006, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post
Pictures???
i second that.

Crippler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2006, 12:53 AM

punch her or call her fat. its the only way...

some "friend"... i dont think i would ever have to take any of my friends to court.

small claims court SUCKS. its taken me over a year to get $1500 for damage to my car (my friend didnt do it though). i should see the check in december, if all goes well. about 18 months since it happened.

Parvez
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2006, 01:05 AM

Just tell her that it's okay. You know it was a mistake and it happens sometimes.

The next day, go to her house and break something very expensive and say "Oops, I did it again."

milhous
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2006, 01:14 AM

i'm going to play devil's advocate and say that it's going to depend on the circumstances. if your place was a mess and had crap all over the floor and your friend accidentally stepped on it because she had no idea what she would be stepping on and was unintentional, then it's your fault for being irresponsible with the computer and you should pay for the repairs yourself.

if your friend was simply being wreckless and clearly knew what was going to happen, than she's responsible.

it's difficult to take a position on the matter considering that you didn't mention the details on how it exactly happened. but in any case, you live and you learn.
F = ma

wilsonng
Senior User
Nov 12, 2006, 02:34 AM

Well, ask B-List actress Denis Richards for advice. She just threw a couple of laptops off the balcony and slightly injured two bystanders down below....

FOXNews.com - Denise Richards Tosses Laptops Off Balcony, Injures Elderly Women - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment
( Last edited by wilsonng; Nov 12, 2006 at 02:41 AM. )
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2006, 03:27 AM

Wow. that sucks. I do, however, agree with milhous. It depends on the state of your house at the time. Also, hitting him/her will cause more trouble. Just go over to her house and break something of his/hers and refuse to pay it off.
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

Forum Links
Forum Rules