Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iWork 08 Format Bar - Wastes Space

iWork 08 Format Bar - Wastes Space
chelsel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2007, 05:32 PM

iWork 08 looks pretty good... except for the HUGE waste of space around the elements of the Format Bar... you know, where you can choose Font, Bold, Size, etc.

Any ideas of how to put a 'normal' looking toolbar there... there's really no reason to have an embossed line around the elements, then extra space, then a 'horizontal rule' between the Format Bar and the Toolbar...

Is Apple losing the touch on design?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 06:56 PM

The size of the contextual format bar is just fine. If you don't like it then hide it and use the inspector.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 7, 2007, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by chelsel View Post
iWork 08 looks pretty good... except for the HUGE waste of space around the elements of the Format Bar... you know, where you can choose Font, Bold, Size, etc.

Any ideas of how to put a 'normal' looking toolbar there... there's really no reason to have an embossed line around the elements, then extra space, then a 'horizontal rule' between the Format Bar and the Toolbar...

Is Apple losing the touch on design?
Do you have a 10" monitor too?

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 8, 2007, 12:04 AM

I thought it looks awesome. Can't wait for mine to arrive tomorrow.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2007, 12:07 AM

I'm happy with it. First word processor in a long time that feels like good ol' WriteNow (which is a good thing.)
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2007, 01:34 AM

View>Hide Toolbar

I love that Pages has a Format bar, so now I can make the Inspector go away when I'm word processing. I have all the basic commands I need right there.

Just using the trial right now, but I'm definitely getting the suite just for Pages, though Numbers looks pretty good, too.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2007, 02:24 PM

The inspector is what keeps me from using Pages. I'm looking forward to trying out the new format bar!

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2007, 04:29 PM

I don't know if this is new, but you can buy a serial number online from Apple without having to wait for shipping, and if you're content to do without the box, it's $20 cheaper. For those of us with an Education discount, it's even better, with the non-boxed version going for $49! Good deal.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2007, 04:35 PM

Wow - I didn't know it was cheaper!

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2007, 09:22 PM

Are you sure you get everything with the download trial? The download is only 470MB. I remember iWork '06 being a 1GB+ install.
Vandelay Industries

krove
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 09:31 PM

According to apple, the trial and box are the same:

"We will email you a serial number you can use to unlock all features of the iWork ’08 Trial. The unlocked Trial is the same as the boxed version of iWork ’08. You can access electronic documentation from within the iWork ’08 application."

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2007, 09:58 PM

Format bar wastes space? How about "threads that complain that format bars THAT CAN BE SWITCHED OFF waste space"?

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2007, 02:15 AM

Yeah, but we've hijacked the thread to talk about iWork in general, so it's all good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules